Okkervil River thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I demand to know what songs you like.

Also, I would have gladly given you that album as a wedding gift, but you never told me what album you wanted.

:angry:

no wedding present needed

favorite songs so far:

Lost Coastlines and Bruce Wayne

:drool:

It kills me that Barlowdog mentioned this band to me like three years ago. It has taken me this long to get around to sucking it up and purchase something.

You're in trouble then, as the rest of their catalog is just as good (and some of it a bit better) than The Stand Ins. I think our boy, Barlowdog, would agree with me on this.

:happy:

For whatever it's worth, once I got past disliking U2popScumbo, I was introduced to a lot of new music....some I disliked, but most I did like.....with Okkervil River leading the way....to be fair, though, Impy the one legged freak-horse also had something to do with me checking the band out......so glad that I got to like their music before seeing them at Lolla.

For whatever it's worth, once I got past disliking U2popScumbo, I was introduced to a lot of new music....some I disliked, but most I did like.....with Okkervil River leading the way....to be fair, though, Impy the one legged freak-horse also had something to do with me checking the band out......so glad that I got to like their music before seeing them at Lolla.

Two things to point out:

U2popmofo is one of two original interference bell biv devoe fans. Whatever that is worth.

I used to pick on a young impy13. He blossomed into a tasteful poster (and someone with a lot better musical taste than his username may lead one to believe)! Much more than I can say for myself.

I've yet to write up anything substantial about The Stand Ins, because I don't want to shock people too badly about how I really feel about it...

To put things simply, it really should just be considered an "appendix" like the BSB appendix was. The idea the band gave that it was "another actual album" is fairly misleading in regards to Stand Ins length and overall substance. The tracks are unfortunately no where near as strong as their normal "albums". That all said, it is Okkervil River after all, so I still love it with all my heart, mind, strength, and pepe. I just would recommend the vast majority of the work before I'd ever recommend someone to hear The Stand Ins, as it's not a good representation of the quality of work they normally create.

There are few sections of music I find as moving as the below segment of 'The War Criminal Rises and Speaks'. The lyrics and music together seem to crush me every time I hear it.

So they found a lieutenant
Who killed a village of kids.
After finishing off the wives,
He wiped off his knife
And that’s what he did.
And they’re not claiming that
There’s any excusing it;
That was thirty years back,
And they just get paid for the facts
The way they got them in.

Now he’s rising and not denying.
His hands are shaking, but he’s not crying.
And he’s saying “How did I climb out of a life so boring
Into that moment? Please stop ignoring
The heart inside,
Oh you readers at home!
While you gasp at my bloody crimes,
Please take the time
To make your heart my home:
Where I’m forgiven by time,
Where I’m cushioned by hope,
Where I’m numbed by long drives,
Where I’m talked off or doped.
Does the heart wants to atone?
Oh, I believe that it’s so,
Because if I could climb back through time,
I’d restore their lives and then give back my own:
Tens of times now its size
On a far distant road
In a far distant time
Where every night I’m still crying,
Entirely alone.”

Calling And Not Calling My Ex has been one of my favorites since my first time through The Stand Ins. I quite enjoyed hearing it today, because of how "Christmas" related the lyrics and sound of the song are (bells, etc).

I still can't decide if I think the girl Iron Sheff Boyardee is talking about is the one from 'Listening to Otis Redding At Home During Christmas' (which would make sense because of the Christmas correlation), or the girl from 'Love to a Monster' (which would be great because of how polar opposite the themes of both songs are). Maybe all three songs are about the same girl, I don't know. Whatever it is, I'm probably ridiculously emo and sissy to have spent so much time pondering it.

Regardless, this song is stellar and I'm going to post the lyrics here because I don't blog (hopefully this makes me less emo and sissy). My favorite section has been bolded. Sheff is a master of lyrics and imagery, if you disagree, I'll fight you to the death and/or light you on fire.

Calling And Not Calling My Ex

She was once mine,
That smile that shines from the glossy magazine that stuck inside the Sunday Times
She was so sweet on Christmas Eve
With the snow set deep, when we went walking through the pines
I had just been fired and her first offer had arrived
And the new year would see her flying far away from me,
Though I didn't know it at the time

With outstretched hands
Now she commands
A famous figure,
For every picture
And she stands up strong and she demands
And they deliver
Yeah, she's a fixture

And it's a mixture of dumb jealousy and fear that I might feel, should she appear
Just like it hasn't been three years
And there's a distance to her voice over the phone and that's because she stands alone,
While I'm still sitting here

Girl, you see me here on another quiet night
I will wait until another indistinguishable day arrives
I'll decide where the light's even and bright
Where my life's sweet as it's slightly, disappointingly, just gliding softly by

And you won't wait for me in some secluded stand of trees some Christmas Eve,
Some god was kind enough to set aside
Although I'd love you to, I'm proud of you
God knows I'm feeling really stupid now
For ever having said goodbye

During the fight
I said, "Yeah right"
When you insisted that I visit, that you'd write
Now, I know you're working hard so I never hear from you, and that's fine
You look the same on TV as when you were mine
I walk in from the kitchen and I finger the remote control
I watch you from the distance, you go walking through the terminal
I remember ever instance, when you stung me
Oh, you're so lovely
Oh, you're so smart...

So, go turn their heads, go knock them dead, go break their hearts

Go break their hearts
Baby, break their hearts
And I know you will

I think Sheff's brilliance needs little explaining.

Just wondering has anyone heard the EP Will's did with Charles Bissell from The Wrens?

Is it available outside of 7 inch? I'd kill to hear it, but I haven't seen any digital versions. It's a split, Will covers Ex-Girl Collection and Charles covers It Ends With a Fall.

I've been meaning to listen to this Overkill River lately. I might have to go the elfa method for first listens, though.... Then again, I'm of the rare breed who deletes the stuff I don't care for enough for a second listen, and buy quite a bit of what I download. No saint for sure, but maybe u2pm can have a little respect for it. :lol:

Is it available outside of 7 inch? I'd kill to hear it, but I haven't seen any digital versions. It's a split, Will covers Ex-Girl Collection and Charles covers It Ends With a Fall.

Seems to still be just the 7 inch...I just can't imagine it being bad in anyway...

Wish The Wrens would bring out something new...it's been what 2003 since Meadowlands came out?

Elfa is pretty much the Charles Manson of our generation.

Black Sheep Boy, The Stage Names, or possibly even Don't Fall In Love With Everyone You See should be the first albums listened to.

:lol:

I just "found" The Stand Ins...

Believe me, I always end up buying what I download, I don't like just having mp3s, physical copies of things are much more comforting...

No matter how often I tell people The Stand Ins is probably their weakest album in almost a decade and that this should be essentially the last thing people listen to by Okkervil River, it seems to be the first thing they download. Yet again, this proves you are truly worse than Hitler.

Stage Names. I still find Black Sheep Boy a little tough. I'm not sure why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom