Okkervil River thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Stand Ins is only one week away! If you preordered, which I'm assuming only I did, you'll be getting the download this Friday.

:hyper:

I just got an email that my copy of The Stand Ins has shipped.

*dances 1000 jigs of joy*

If I'd have known about the whole Sloop John B thing on The Stage Names I would have bought it a lot sooner, btw. Maybe I wasn't paying attention. Or maybe you just didn't tell me. :angry:

If I'd have known about the whole Sloop John B thing on The Stage Names I would have bought it a lot sooner, btw. Maybe I wasn't paying attention. Or maybe you just didn't tell me. :angry:

|
|
v

There are rockers, heart-breaking moments, and sections in songs where I almost want to stand up out of my chair and pound my fists into the air and scream "YES!!!!!!!" when I hear them. The first time I heard the "So hoist up the John B. sail!" line kick in right after the section I posted above as #9, I think I honestly did actually come out of my chair.

That's no joke, I actually remember jumping up with excitement and saying something such as "Holy crap!", except the "crap" may have been an expletive...

So did you actually get the album then? I wasn't sure if you did, so I never said anything (which is probably good for you, as I probably would have been harassing you hourly for updates).

Damn you! Making a fool of me like that!

Yes, I finally bought it a couple of weeks ago and driving back from Abq (where I bought it at the state's only cool local record store :cool: ), I was kind of like, eh, yeah, it's okay, I need some time with it, and then that comes on and I was like :ohmy: and decided that I would love the record based on the sheer genius of that song. Repeated listenings later, I can say I love it.

That was the one track I instantly was blown away by as well, which in retrospect is odd, as I now worship nearly every track from the album as if they were holy scripture.

:wink:

I also love A Girl in Port right now.

Well, I'm a weak and lonely sort,
Though I'm not sailing just for sport.
I've come to feel,
Out on the sea,
These urgent lives
Press against me.
I'm just a guest.
I'm not a part,
With my tender head,
With my easy heart.
These several years out on the sea
Have made me empty, cold, and clear.
Pour yourself into me.

:love:

Two extremely positive reviews for the album were posted today:

Okkervil River: The Stand Ins < Music | PopMatters

The Stand Ins | Pitchfork

:up:

Also, the entire Stand Ins album is streaming on their Myspace page if you're interested in that sort of thing.

I still don't feel familiar enough with it as an album yet, but I am liking it more and more. I'll probably post a review later today or tomorrow. As of right now, my favorite songs are Lost Coastlines, Pop Lie, On Tour With Zykos, and Calling And Not Calling My Ex. Pop Lie is as immediately likable as Unless It's Kicks was on the last album, and feels like their attempt at channeling Elvis Costello.

My favorite is "Singer Songwriter." We get along well.

I'll be picking up the CD tomorrow, but I decided to listen to the stream today anyway.

The albums sounds great. So far, Lost Coastlines, Singer Songwriter, Calling And Not Calling My Ex, and Bruce Wayne Campbell Interviewed on the Roof of the Chelsea Hotel, 1979 stand out for me.

Is anyone going to tell me how much they love this album or not?

Is anyone going to tell me how much they love this album or not?

thismuchfk5.jpg

The new album is great! Not quite as catchy as The Stage Names was on first listen but still, a really great album.

I just bought my tickets for this Saturday (with support by Man Man (!!!)), as well as finally getting Teh Stand-Ins on vinyl.

Funny story: pseudo-Miss impy and I have a lame joke we overdo. Whenever encountering a man with a huge beard, one of us says "Is that Sam Beam?" Well, today at Waterloo, she noticed a bearded fellow before I did and asked the same old question. Only this time, it turns out it was Sam Beam.

Hi oh!

Listen fucknuts, I've got a long day of driving ahead of me tomorrow and I plan on buying an Okkervil River album to listen to on my journey. I know nothing about the band. Which album do I start with?

:hmm: For driving, I'd say The Stage Names. It's catchy and has more songs that are good for that.

Listen fucknuts, I've got a long day of driving ahead of me tomorrow and I plan on buying an Okkervil River album to listen to on my journey. I know nothing about the band. Which album do I start with?

I'm not 100% sure of what specific types of music you like or dislike, but Black Sheep Boy or The Stage Names seem like the best introduction bets for most people. BSB if you're feeling like a darker type album, Stage Names if you want more of an upbeat sounding album. If they don't have either of those, get Don't Fall In Love With Everyone You See.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom