Okkervil River thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The BSB Appendix is an EP that is definitely worth getting. As far as albums go, though, I'd go with Don't Fall In Love With Everyone You See next.

Although, if you download a leak of The Stage Names, I'd consider that more of a natural transition.

Love the new album! I just 'acquired' it and have been listening to it all morning.

I had kind of forgotten about these guys. It has been a long time since I listened to BSB...and it was one of my favorites of 2005.

Great band!

I preorded The Stage Names from Jagjaguwar, so I get a bonus disc of Will Sheff's solo demos for each of the album's tracks. I also potentially get the album earlier, as it ships on the second.

Okkertastic.

This came in the mail today complete with fantastic packaging and the bonus disc, which has some positively wonderful Sheff solo serenades.

I reckon it's one of the top five albums of the year.

yeah!! got my tickets for my first okkervil river show.
In the AB club in Brussels (very smal, I think capacity is about 200)
Can't wait..

You won't be disappointed, they put on a great show.

They're playing their hometown in early November, I reckon, so I'll be going to that one.

The Stage Names is one of the best albums of the year, easily

for me is better than "Black Sheep Boy", whoa

Boy, oh boy, did the Okk ever kick ass at Fun Fun Fun Fest yesterday.

Jack In The Box said:
The Stage Names is one of the best albums of the year, easily

for me is better than "Black Sheep Boy", whoa

YES! Stage Names is far and away my favorite album so far this year. Okkervil River just bumped Idlewild out of the #1 spot on my overall artists charts on Last FM this week actually (Idlewild has held that spot virtually the entire time i've used Last FM).

While I admittedly would recommend their entire catalog, The Stage Names is a very special album. If you have any interest in it, you owe it to yourself to buy it, learn the lyrics, and give it some time to let the entire work sink it. You will not be disappointed.

Please allow me to provide 9 examples as to why The Stage Names is a masterpiece:

1. It's just a life story, so there's no climax. No more new territory, so pull away the IMAX. In the slot that you sliced through the scene there was no shyness. In the plot that you passed through your teeth there was no pity. No fade in: film begins on a kid in the big city. And no cut to a costly parade that's for him only. No dissolve to a sliver of grey - that's his new lady, where she glows just like grain on the flickering pane of some great movie. (Hey, I'd watch it!)

2. What pulls your body down, and that is quicksand. So climb out quick, hand over hand, before your mouth's all filled up. What picks you up from down unless it's tricks, man? When I've been fixed I am convinced that I will not get so broke up again. And on a seven day high, that heavenly song punches right through my mind and just hums through my blood.

3. I want a smile like a glistening shard. I want a kiss that's as sharp as a knife. The day expires, and the dry, cracked, trembling lips God saw fit to put this kiss inside, I push them up to you. I'd like to bear witness to a light that is fine and is filling the cryingest eyes, grace in each face that is making the wastedest, brokenest ones fairly fly, love that is innocent of that old cynical, covetous, cancerous vibe, and a beauty that annihilates all life like it's lived in these nights, holding your hatred tight like a sign that you're right or you're strong. When your doors are shut tight, I will dream you tonight, and my dream will just sweep you along.

4. Midnight late last week. my daughter's diary. Didn't know what it might be until it was open. I only read one page and then put it away. Talk about your big mistakes - hey Shan, nice going.

5. No one wants a tune about the 100th luftballoon that was seen shooting from the window of your room, to be a spot against the sky's colossal gloom and land, deflated, in some neighbor state that's strewn with 99 others.

6. Well, I'm a weak and lonely sort, though I'm not sailing just for sport. I've come to feel, out on the sea, these urgent lives press against me. I'm just a guest. I'm not a part, with my tender head, with my easy heart. These several years out on the sea have made me empty, cold, and clear. Pour yourself into me.

7. She said, "I'm done with looking back, and you look your age - which is thirty-seven, by the way, and not twenty-eight. And fucking let them stare, because at this point I don't care. I have been your bride stripped bare since '98. And our silver-screen affair, it weighs less to me than air. It's a gas now. It's a laugh just how far several mil can take it."

8. A Hollywood Babylon bike-a-thon for breakdancers all broken down in their beds, now intravenously fed from a bag hanging over their heads.

9. And I knew that my last lines were gone, while, stupidly, I lingered on. Oh, but wise men know when it's time to go, and so I should too. And so I fly into the brightest winter sun of this frozen town. I'm stripped down to move on, my friends: I'm gone. I hear my father fall, and I hear my mother call, and I hear the others all whispering, come home. I'm sorry to go. I loved you all so, but this is the worst trip I've ever been on.

The 1,2,3 punch of Our Life is Not a Movie or Maybe, Unless It's Kicks, and A Hand to Take Hold of the Scene is one of the best opening three song combos of any recent album I've been a fan of in ages. This is the kind of album where if I listen to one song, I usually end up listening to all the rest of them too. The songs work fantasticall individually, and more importantly in the context of the album's concept and theme. There are rockers, heart-breaking moments, and sections in songs where I almost want to stand up out of my chair and pound my fists into the air and scream "YES!!!!!!!" when I hear them. The first time I heard the "So hoist up the John B. sail!" line kick in right after the section I posted above as #9, I think I honestly did actually come out of my chair.

Last edited:
The Sloop John B section of John Allyn Smith is even better live.

There was also an amazing transition from OLINAMOM to For Real. The first time I saw them was at their one off show with an orchestra and their version of For Real was completely different. This weekend's was more faithful to the album version.

They opened with The President's Dead and closed with Westfall.

I can't remember the exact order, but these are all the songs they played:

The President's Dead
Black
A Girl In Port
Unless It's Kicks
John Allyn Smith Sails
A Hand to Take Hold of the Scene
Plus Ones
The Latest Toughs
Our Life Is Not A Movie Or Maybe
For Real
Westfall

And definitely one more that I'm forgetting.

I saw Okkervil in Milwaukee and Chicago in Septmember, but great shows.

The Chicago was unbelievable, playing Another Radio Song, which is my favorite song by them, one of my coolest concert moments ever

I still like Black Sheep Boy better, but The Stage Names is definitely in my top 5 for the year. Probably number 2 behind Radiohead right now.

barlowdog said:
I still like Black Sheep Boy better, but The Stage Names is definitely in my top 5 for the year. Probably number 2 behind Radiohead right now.

I actually listed Black Sheep Boy in my "favorite albums EVAR" list, so I suppose I prefer it too, but I think The Stage Names is fantastic for what it is. Completely different theme musically and lyrically. Honestly, I probably feel like Stage Names is more consistent, but I've just had so much more time with BSB.

Since everyone else is sharing recent Okkervil concert experiences, here was the show I saw in SLC in Sept. It was my second time seeing them, but it was amazing enough that it felt like the first.

Plus Ones
Lady Liberty
No Key, No Plan
The Latest Toughs
Red
Song of our So-Called Friend
Hand to Take Hold of the Scene
Unless It Kicks
Black
A Girl In Port
Our Life is Not A Movie Or Maybe
A Glow
For Real
Westfall

encore:
The President's Dead
Last Love Song For Now

u2popmofo said:

I actually listed Black Sheep Boy in my "favorite albums EVAR" list, so I suppose I prefer it too, but I think The Stage Names is fantastic for what it is. Completely different theme musically and lyrically. Honestly, I probably feel like Stage Names is more consistent, but I've just had so much more time with BSB.

Since everyone else is sharing recent Okkervil concert experiences, here was the show I saw in SLC in Sept. It was my second time seeing them, but it was amazing enough that it felt like the first.

Plus Ones
Lady Liberty
No Key, No Plan
The Latest Toughs
Red
Song of our So-Called Friend
Hand to Take Hold of the Scene
Unless It Kicks
Black
A Girl In Port
Our Life is Not A Movie Or Maybe
A Glow
For Real
Westfall

encore:
The President's Dead
Last Love Song For Now

That's the problem with ranking albums so soon after they're released. Sometimes you need more time with them. I still don't think Stage Names will ever top BSB for me; it just came along at the right time. Totally agree about Stage Names being completely different musically and thematically....different than anything they've done before, I suppose.
Outstanding setlist. I saw them a couple years ago in Baltimore and I regret not seeing them when they came to Philly in September, but I just couldn't make it. They seem to exude so much joy and passion when they play. Hope I can catch them next time around.

u2popmofo said:

Red
A Glow
Last Love Song For Now

I hate you for getting those.
grumpyelephantpf1.gif

All the latest toughs, well, we have seen that stuff, and we have seen enough

Hiding from the sun, he was hiding from the sun
Burning everyone, it was burning everyone

:drool:

Leave it to Interference to have like four posters in a thread for the band with the year's best album. :|

Sometimes you love a song so much you just have to cover it, and sometimes you're pleased enough with the results to share them with the world. So it went for Will Sheff and his Okkervil River, who have pieced together a handful of choice live covers and readied them for your downloading pleasure, free of charge.

Golden Opportunities Mixtape is what they're calling it, and apart from one Okkervil original, the other eight tunes here come courtesy of folks like Serge Gainsbourg (translated to English by Sheff), John Cale, Joni Mitchell, Sandy Denny, the Fugs, and Jimmy Webb (by way of Nina Simone). All were recorded by Okkervil "at various radio stations, concerts, and empty hotel stairwells" in 2006 and 2007.

You can nab the whole thing right now-- complete with digital artwork, liner notes, and your choice of audio quality-- on Okkervil's website.

What's more, Sheff has made it known that he wants feedback. Golden is no random smattering of other people's songcraft; indeed, the collection boasts "loose thematic ties" to Okkervil's latest, The Stage Names. Perhaps you'd like to ask Mr. Sheff himself for more insight? Send questions to mixtape@okkervilriver.com and they just might be answered. Or inquire via the Okkervil message board, your call. Then swing over to the Okkervil website Friday (December 14) morning, where all will be revealed.

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

Cheer up, G.O.B. You'll get in that Poof yet.

The site is down, but I managed to start my download before it crashed. It's coming, slowly but surely, and I'll upload it for you, gang, when it finally completes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom