Okkervil River thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a night. The tickets you get for ACL are always space available, and they cut off the line two people after my friend and I. So we barely got in. Will was admittedly nervous at first, but by the end of the show he was about as raucous as I've ever seen them.

I got a setlist, so take a gander..

23gzfi0.jpg

Jonathan Meiburg showed up for "Lost Coastlines!" They actually played it twice, having to reshoot it after their encore of "For Real." Speaking of which, remember when I divulged this oh so long ago:

They did a slowed down rendition of 'For Real' where the jagged, intermittent guitar part was played on the piano by Will and the guitar solos were played by the string section in what was perhaps the single best performance of any song I've ever seen.

Yeah. Well you guys get to hear it now.

I also managed to pick up a few of these sheets from the camera which pretty much serve as a shooting itinerary for each song:

easjeh.jpg

I got "John Allyn Smith Sails," "Unless It's Kicks," "Our Life is Not a Movie or Maybe," "A King and a Queen," and "War Criminal." They're a pretty neat piece of Okkervil history and I'd be happy to send you one (scums and 1B1L) if you'd like.

Obviously they don't let you take photos or anything during the performance (you actually have to turn your phone off entirely), but after it was all over I grabbed one of the stage.

e0rgb8.jpg

So yeah. Amazing night. There is more to tell, but I guess I'm not feeling articulate today. I love this band.

That's freaking awesome! I didn't realize the taping was so soon, for some reason I was thinking it was still a month or two away. Fantastic setlist, I wonder what they'll decide to include on the show. Does Austin City Limits offer DVDs of entire shows? I'd probably pick this one up if they did, as I love every one of those songs dearly. They always seem to start their sets with a slowish type song you would never expect as an opener, but I imagine it worked pretty well. That rules that Meiburg showed up for Lost Coastlines, I probably would have screamed like a 13 year old girl at a Jonas Brothers concert had I been there for that. Needless to say, I'm extremely jealous. I think I may have to take you up on camera sheet offer.

Well when they do the ticket giveaways, the tapings are within a few days. This episode won't run for many, many months though. The only thing the programs say is "this will run as part of the 35th season" and so forth.

They do DVDs a lot, but not for every single show. Considering fellow hometown heroes Ghostland got a DVD made of their performance, I wouldn't rule it out.

If you want one of the sheets (they're actually really cool), just PM me your address and which song you'd want of the ones I listed. I can mail it out tomorrow.

The only bad thing about the taping was the fact that it was fairly obvious that I was one of only a handful of huge fans in the audience. Most of the folks had never heard them before. But by the end it didn't matter as much, since "Movie" and "Kicks" completely brought the house down.

I think I would've died. The setlist is amazing. I can't wait to see that version of "For Real" too. :drool: And Meiburg showing up for "Lost Coastlines!" Ahhh, seriously, I'm so jealous!

Well when they do the ticket giveaways, the tapings are within a few days. This episode won't run for many, many months though. The only thing the programs say is "this will run as part of the 35th season" and so forth.

They do DVDs a lot, but not for every single show. Considering fellow hometown heroes Ghostland got a DVD made of their performance, I wouldn't rule it out.

If you want one of the sheets (they're actually really cool), just PM me your address and which song you'd want of the ones I listed. I can mail it out tomorrow.

The only bad thing about the taping was the fact that it was fairly obvious that I was one of only a handful of huge fans in the audience. Most of the folks had never heard them before. But by the end it didn't matter as much, since "Movie" and "Kicks" completely brought the house down.

Good for you, looking forward to that episode. I know St. Vincent, Heartless Bastards, Ben Harper and Andrew Bird have already been taped for air this fall, and I got to attend the Bird taping while I was in Austin for SXSW this year, really fun!

From the band's Facebook page today: Last day in the studio with Roky Erickson & Trav & Lauren today, listening to the mixes we just finished. So happy with this record. -W

:hyper:

I wonder if they'll play anything new when I see them FOR FREE on the 20th...

:hmm:

I don't think I even knew they were working on a new album yet.

I'm surprised you wont try and pay them for the show anyway, who's all high and mighty about stealing music now, hmm?

I planned on making a paper airplane out of a personal check addressed to Will Sheff, and then trying to throw it at him during the show.

I wonder if they'll play anything new when I see them FOR FREE on the 20th...

:hmm:

I don't think I even knew they were working on a new album yet.

I still hate you for that.

Neither did I, so I was surprised to see Will's comment. Great news though! :D

They updated their Facebook status again saying it''ll be out early next year.

That pleases me.

:love:

Can't wait. At least some bands out there are still releasing material on a fairly regular basis...

P.S. to all the other Okkervil fans here, I am writing that paper about The Stage Names, and I'm also including The Stand Ins in the discussion. So far my professor's digging the albums too. :up:

I want to read this.

Totally forgot I sent this to you after it was finished. Did you read it? If not, I believe I'm entitled to inflict some bodily harm on you. Perhaps a KNIFE CRIME?

Ha, yeah, it's pretty long...and I tend to ramble when I'm given free-rein to do so...

Look at the bright side though, at least it's not a thesis on the gospel of Thomas.

It was a short but sweet night (they played for 70 mins), but I really couldn't have asked for a better setlist for a free show:

Plus Ones
Pop Lie
A Hand To Take Hold of the Scene
Latest Toughs
A Girl In Port
John Allyn Smith Sails
A Stone
Westfall
For Real
Lost Coastlines
Our Life Is Not a Movie or Maybe
Unless It's Kicks

They unfortunately had some sound mixing issues for playing out doors. Bass was too loud for the majority of the show, which they ended up fixing later on. The lead guitar was FAR too quiet (as was the horn), which they unfortunately never entirely fixed. Luckily, this was my third time seeing them, so it really didn't affect my enjoyment. It was really cool to see Bissell from The Wrens playing with the band. I loved hearing the Stand Ins tracks (and had a good laugh when the bass player started attempting to sing Meiburg's part in Lost Coastlines exactly like Meiburg sings it, which got a good laugh from the rest of the band), and it was my first time hearing John Allyn Smith live, which was another highlight for me. A Stone was largely acoustic Sheff solo, and sounded fantastic. Will was cracking jokes the entire time, which made it a lot of fun. He also gave a shout out about how awesome their last show in SLC was at Kilby Court (which I was standing right up against the stage for), and how he felt bad it'd been so long since they'd been back.

While it sound-wise was likely the weakest of the 3 times I've seen them, it was still a fun and completely satisfying show for me personally. I wish it'd sounded better for my two friends, who were both seeing them for the first time, but they still both seemed to have a good enough time as well. As always, Okkervil River delivered. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom