Okay, Honestly, Who Is The Best Hockey Player In The World Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I miss the days when there was a definitive best player in the world. Back in the 80s and early 90s, it was kind of cool to know that Wayne Gretzky was the best player in the world. Then, Mario Lemieux became the best player in the world. As soon as Lemieux retired, Jagr was the definitive best player in the world. These were all players that intimidated the opposition with their offensive capabilities alone. They could do anything, at any time of the game, and you always got the feeling they could create a goal in any situation, almost out of thin air if they wanted to. Now, that's all changed. The playing field seems to be such that it's almost impossible to determine who the best player in the world is. Still, I think it would be fun to give it a shot. Let's try and give an objective answer, meaning don't pick, necessarily, your favourite player, but the one who is best. If he turns out to also be your favourite, that's great, but shouldn't be the reason for your selecton.

My objective pick for best in the world today:

Peter Forsberg

Here's my top 5:

1. Peter Forsberg
2. Mario Lemieux
3. Markus Naslund
4. Jaromir Jagr
5. Joe Thornton (I can't believe he wasn't chosen for the Canadian Olympic team in 2002)

I've got to agree with you. Forsberg, when he's healthy, is scary good. If he had been healthy for Sweden in 2002, they would've not only beaten Belarus (snicker), they would've WALKED to the gold medal.

Yay! Forsberg! :bow:

I came in here expecting Lemieux. I thought I'd be the lone Foppa voice.

I think Milan Hejduk will finally make the top 5 list before long. No one ever remembers Hejduk.

i can easily think of a top four list, so here they are.

1. peter forsberg. noone can dominate like he can. hes impossible to knock off the puck when hes focused. apparently he has about 10 girlfriends around colorado too, for those who are interested. i had a friend who made main camp with the avs in 2001.

2. markus naslund

3. joe thornton

4. todd bertuzzi - cant believe noone has mentioned him yet. terribly ugly helmet, but still.

honestly?

Well to give my honest, extremely unbiased answer, I think it's obviously a 30 way tie between:

Eric Boguniecki
Jamal Mayers
Valeri Bure
Scott Mellanby
Petr Cajanek
Tyson Nash
Pavol Demitra
Eric Nickulas
Steve Dubinsky
Shjon Podein
Dallas Drake
Cory Stillman
Ryan Johnson
Keith Tkachuk
Reed Low
Doug Weight
Steve Martins
Martin Rucinsky
Jeff Finley
Al MacInnis
Barret Jackman
Rich Pilon
Alexander Khavanov
Chris Pronger
Christian Laflamme
Bryce Salvador
Matt Walker
Brent Johnson
Chris Osgood
Curtis Sanford

Gickies Gageeze said:
4. todd bertuzzi - cant believe noone has mentioned him yet. terribly ugly helmet, but still.
I was thinking about putting him into my list, but I don't think he's quite there yet. He's amazing, but too inconsistent at times. Some nights it looks like he can score at will, while other nights it looks like he's out for a Sunday afternoon skate. The main reason Thornton replaced him is because Thornton's been more productive even though he's played far less Bert. Based on that reason alone, I suppose one could argue why I didn't put Lemieux in 1st. The reason? He doesn't own games as much anymore. He simply gets lots of points (though you can hardly blame him considering his team is pretty much like an AHL club now).

Peter Forsberg is by far the greatest hockey player in the game today. Close behind would be Super Mario and Iginla in my opinion with Sakic and Hejduk right there when they are healthy

Gickies Gageeze said:
i can easily think of a top four list, so here they are.

1. peter forsberg. noone can dominate like he can. hes impossible to knock off the puck when hes focused. apparently he has about 10 girlfriends around colorado too, for those who are interested. i had a friend who made main camp with the avs in 2001.

Actually, despite his raging popularity with Denver women, he only has one very steady (said to be engaged)girlfriend. :sexywink:

No, it's not me. :sexywink: I date Martin Skoula.

I think you have him confused with Dan Hinote.

Well if consistency is the key than I have no doubt the top two at the moment are Peter Forsberg and Markus Naslund (now, why didn't Team Sweden win?)... but, Jaromir Jagr is still a pretty damn good player. It's too bad he plays for such a defensive minded team.

Players like Todd Bertuzzi, Jarome Iginla, and Marian Gaborik are definitely contenders in the near future, if they can consistently play at an elite level.

Too bad that this list is so limiting to scoring ability... what about the other positions, like defense?

Nik Lidstrom
Al MacInnis
Sergei Gonchar

... are all dominant players in their own right.

Good list though guys... Chizip never disappoints.

PS- AvsGirl41 I've seen you riding around the streets of Big D with Bryan Marchment... why must you do that to Skoula?

cujo said:
PS- AvsGirl41 I've seen you riding around the streets of Big D with Bryan Marchment... why must you do that to Skoula?

:lol:

As if! Bryan Marchment wishes he could have some of this. :flirt: I'd never date a dirty player, even if he does "shower after the game."

I'm loyal to my man. :love:

AvsGirl41 said:

Actually, despite his raging popularity with Denver women, he only has one very steady (said to be engaged)girlfriend. :sexywink:

No, it's not me. :sexywink: I date Martin Skoula.

I think you have him confused with Dan Hinote.

well that could be, but remember, i got this from a direct source. apparently he is (or was a couple of years ago anyway) a womanizer.

but whatever, i dont know why im making it an issue.

You know why the Blues traded Brendan Shanahan, he slept with Craig Janney's wife, Janny and Shanny used to be best buds too. Another reason I cant stand the Red Wangs, they are full of adulterers, those sunsabitches. :mad:

Chizip said:
Another reason I cant stand the Red Wangs, they are full of adulterers, those sunsabitches. :mad:

haha... Red Wangs. Not as bad as being owned by the Walmart heirs I guess... or at least her husband.

I've soured on Jagr, I dont like his attitude, too inconsistent with his effort, whiny, selfish, etc

has everybody forgotten about Joe Sakic? you'll remember him come playoff time

Forsberg is the best when healthy

cujo said:

haha... Red Wangs. Not as bad as being owned by the Walmart heirs I guess... or at least her husband.

Yeah, that is embarressing. :|

Especially since Kroneke (or however you spell it) obtained them through some shady, under-the-table deal to keep them from his brother-in-law, who wanted the Avs. He then went and bought the Blues--and actually knows (I'm told) something about hockey, which is why he wanted a team to play with.

That's where the big problem in our organization lies. There's no owner to rein Pierre Lacroix in.

I'm waiting for the day that Lacroix screws up the team, people stop coming, Kroneke goes "Where's my money?" and cans father and whiney son, who then have to get jobs as hired help at Celine Dion's house.

Forsberg is at the top of my list, but I like cujo's point on the D-men. Nik Lidstrom is an unbelievable defenceman - I would put him at Number 2. I think The Hockey News rated him Number 1 before the season started. Without him, I think Detroit goes nowhere.

Yeah, but in my mind a defenceman would have to be as good as Bobby Orr or Doug Harvey to be considered the best player in the world. It's such a difficult position to excel at, in an obvious way anyway, relative to every other position. I don't envy them at all.

BTW, Blunt Edge, I see you're also from the West Coast. Which one of the West Coast teams do you cheer for, if any? Vancouver, San Jose, LA, or Anaheim?

Last edited:
And to think that Pittsburgh gave him away for next to nothing. The one time when such a thing actually helps the Canucks. Usually it's them who give star players away (ie, Cam Neely).

gabrielvox said:
Lafleur, of course.

Thanks for responding Monsieur Cherry... can I check you're tweed jacket? Wow that tie is even louder than your voice... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom