Ok, who went shopping the day after Thanksgiving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiny dancer

Blue Crack Distributor
I didn't go because I'm ill, but I never do go anyway. A lot of stores in my town opened up at 5:00 AM, and some, even at 4:00. I used to work in retail and absolutely hated working the day after Thanksgiving. Some customers were down right mean and rude. I guess they don't know what really Christmas is all about. :tsk:

no way

I was considering trying to get the $379 laptop from Wal-Mart, but I couldn't find any specs on it and I wasn't quite prepared to deal with people this morning for a laptop I know nothing about.

I've worked in retail on Black Friday before, but I worked at Menard's (hardware store, like Home Depot) and it was busy but not too bad.

anybody have any horror stories to share?

I went and just got back. We were out at 5 back earlier than usual this year which is great :up:

This is one of the few days I ever go to the mall. It's one of our only family traditions :banghead:

I don't get it either :shrug:

I did only because my hair dryer broke and I had to get a new one- around 3 PM it was still a nightmare. It was just at a very small local strip mall. I can't even imagine what the big malls were like.

I saw on the news that people got trampled on in an MI Walmart(?) and in Florida there was a brawl. It's really crazy with how people are so ignorant of others.

I tried to go shopping today but there was too many people and it was really frustrating.

my mom and i went to the galleria mall for their official christmas tree lighting ceremony. it was great...even got to see olympic ice skater dorothy hamill ice skate, and santa doing back flips on skates, and a choir singing christmas carols. then we went to target to pick up a few things. surprisingly target was hardly busier than it would be on a normal saturday. and while the galleria was crowded because of the show, it was relatively easy to find a close parking spot.

i love going to the malls on the day after thanksgiving even if i'm not shopping for anything in particular...it helps get me in the holiday spirit :up:

we had to grab some stuff from my dad's apartment anyway, so we stopped at circuit city to look at ipods/mp3 players. rather than leaving with one, i just left knowing i'd have to get one off ebay or find some other way. such a scam. :tsk:

:wave: I'm in New Lenox, IL with Phil's family and his mom likes to go out and watch all the Day-After-Thanksgiving shoppers getting worked up for nothing, so we hit the mall in Orland Park. I got a sweater and hat from Gap (the sweaters were a deal for two, and Phil's sis got one too), and some shoes from Target that I've actually wanted for months, but the Targets in Grand Rapids have been out of them. We didn't go until after lunch though, and the mall in Orland Park wasn't really any busier than our malls in Grand Rapids are on any given weekend.

Black Friday veteran here! I'm a retail manager and I've found that as long as the employees stay upbeat, the customers are generally cool. I am VERY lucky to work at a small store in a small strip mall on a small island in Touristland USA, so Black Friday really isn't that bad for me...it's just slightly busier than a day with maybe two big cruise ships in the harbor.

The Saturday before Christmas is the day that scares me, after we've run out of sizes and boxes and everything has gone to markdown and you can't even make whole outfits anymore...:yikes:

Kristie said:
no way

I was considering trying to get the $379 laptop from Wal-Mart, but I couldn't find any specs on it and I wasn't quite prepared to deal with people this morning for a laptop I know nothing about.

I've worked in retail on Black Friday before, but I worked at Menard's (hardware store, like Home Depot) and it was busy but not too bad.

anybody have any horror stories to share?

Finally got a DVD player today! $39 at Walmart for a Magnavox :D
Now I can finally get ahold of Slane...:huh:

I worked from 2-9 and some stores were still open till 11 in our mall. So my employees and I went to check out what we might have missed. It was great, there was nobody around. Got great service and even though the sales people were really tired, they were all really nice.

I never have before cuz it is still too early for me to shop, but I have to admit I did venture out thie afternoon. I went to some local surf and gift shops in my beach community and picked up a few odd items, mailed my Xmas cards at the post office with a couple small packages, then I went to Tower Records and picked up a few things, picked up a few gift certificates at random shops around town and ended up at Target which wasn't too bad at all by 4:30pm. Granted, I wasn't anywhere near a shopping mall, but I did some "shopping". Our town's Christmas parade is next Sat. night. I will probably put up a few decorations around the house Sunday and hang some lights. I like colorful lights at Christmastime.

KhanadaRhodes said:

:yes:

no crazy mobs or anything. then again i avoided the electronics departments of stores so i didn't see if anyone was fighting anyone over the last television, dvd player, computer, etc.

i was in bestbuy in the afternoon and there weren't any fights, but they were out of most ipods:wink:

the rockin edge said:
i was in bestbuy in the afternoon and there weren't any fights, but they were out of most ipods:wink:
no stores were out of anything i was wanting :drool:

unfortunately now i'm out of cash
down.gif

You could tell here that everyone had gone into town to shop, with lots of traffic. But it wasn't to bad when we went around noon. I got 5 books, some knitting supplies, a dvd, and a good buy on some cds to burn the mass amounts of bootlegs for many friends.

I chatted with a clerk at our Wal-mart and he said they were out of laptops by 5:30am. And it was a bit crazy, but thankfully no one got hurt.

Mr. Dis and I went to one store:yes: we got there at 6am...no one:drool: but by the time we left at 8 the place was mobbed!!:madspit: .....we actually caused the registers to crash:reject: spices were 30 cents apiece so we bought a huge crap load......our register freaked out and died...then the others did after us:reject:
:lmao:

I only ventured to a target near me and that was at nine in the morning! More busier than normal but no mob scene. Plus all I wanted were the Harry Potter DVD's which were $5.88 each so I was happy!!

We went out to see the crowds because we didn't find much in the black friday sale links, Best Buy was swamped but nothing like the mall was...and the worst was Fry's Electronics...we had stuff we were going to grab while it was on sale but the line was a deterrant...went through all of the back and forth barricades and around half of the store..guess we will be going back later when it is down to a half hour wait to purchase Christmas gifts.
I don't do walmart no matter what their sale flyer is and probably with good reason since there were stampedes for that laptop. Jay Leno played clips of Walmart openings Friday night...how embarrasing. They should have security do a lottery like Ticketmaster does for concert tix.
Didn't buy anything but lunch because everyone I wanted to grab something for was with me but the idea is to watch what they play with and browse to see what they want. I have Monday off to go back and get it for them.

i stayed home yesterday and ordered professional black and white 35mm film from the safety of my own home and then just ate left overs all day while sitting around in my pajamas. going shopping on black friday can kiss my ass!

Back
Top Bottom