Ok...set me straight!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basstrap

ONE love, blood, life
What exactly will it take for the new Star war movies to equal the old ones?

Acting? the oldies had pretty bad acting

plot? EP II has a dark plot with the feeling of future doom. Very good, I thought

I admit, EP I was not great, but it laid a very good foundation for it all.

But EP II was just as good as 4.

I just get sick of hearing "it was good but no Empire Strikes Back". I think people have their minds made up that just because they're oldies they are automatically better.

If the oldies were released today instead of then would they still be the huge classics they have become.

Anywho, Lord of the Rings will take the place of the classic trilogy for the 21st century.

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

[This message has been edited by Basstrap (edited 05-17-2002).]

Originally posted by Basstrap:

Anywho, Lord of the Rings will take the place of the classic trilogy for the 21st century.

------------------
When life hands you a lemon, say "Oh yeah, I like lemons. What else you got?" --Henry Rollins

Yep, it will indeed.
smile.gif

As to the original question, I think it's a matter of timing. When the original films came out, they were less self-aware and more daring, imo. They were campy and plenty cheesy, but they had HEART. I enjoyed episode II, but it was sad to see such good actors and so many potentially great 'moments' wasted because Lucas can't write a good screenplay to save his life (and when I say screenplay please be aware that it takes good dialogue as well as plot to make it good). Bottom line...the 'new' Star Wars will never live up to the old ones because of the expectations placed on them. So just enjoy them as they come, I guess.

And I can't wait for LOTR-TTT!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

---------------
33447%3A4323232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2325%3D623%3D587%3Dxroqdf%3E23232%3A983%3B847ot1lsi

This thread has been Viggofied
biggrin.gif

since I finally saw LOTR a month ago I can now have an opinion on it

this really is one of those movies that would improve considerably if it would follow Salome's #1 (and only) rule for movies:
have the movie characters sing at least three songs (musical style)

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

[This message has been edited by Salome (edited 05-19-2002).]

wow, I'm glad your not a producer

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

What exactly will it take for the new Star war movies to equal the old ones?

Acting? the oldies had pretty bad acting

*applauds

Thank you for posting this.

I'm an old fogey. I saw all of the original trilogy at theaters when they were released.

"Star Wars" (what is now called "Episode 4: The New Hope") came out in '77, the year I turned 13. I recall spending some weekday summer afternoons at the theater with my friend watching this film. We'd see it from way back in the theater. We'd see it in the first row. It was fantastic! For a 12-13 year old like me, this was the perfect film. While "Space Odyssey 2001" had some great effects, the story was very dark - not something a pre-teen/teen can really enjoy. But "Star Wars" had it all. We didn't care if the acting was bad. We didn't care if the effects weren't "perfect" - they were FAR superior than anything we had ever seen.

However, as I rewatch that film now, I do see the flaws. I can and do forgive all "effects" issues - Lucas used the best technology he could on the budget he had back then. However, it's easy to see how the timing was off on the acting or how the acting and the dialogue was just plain bad. It's easy to point out plot holes (that STILL remain) in the script. But the novelty of the original is what kept it a fan favorite.

However, by the time "Return of the Jedi" came around, suddenly the film didn't look so fresh. People talk about leaving the theater after viewing "Episode I" or "Episode II" with an empty feeling, thinking how these installments didn't live up to the original trilogy. If they truly feel this way, either they weren't old enough to have seen "Return of the Jedi" in the theater (as I did) or they have forgotten what it was like. When I left the theater after "Return of the Jedi", I thought, "worst Star Wars film ever!" My friends and I joked that it should have been called "Return of the Muppets."
biggrin.gif
I hated (and still do) all those silly creatures surrounding Jabba the Hut. It really seemed like I was watching a muppet movie, not a cherished sci-fi classic. And the Ewoks? AAH! Talk about sickeningly cute - I saw the toy shelves filled with those things immediately. The ending was overly sappy and unfulfilling. So the emporer is dead. Is that really it? The emporer died so now the entire empire has collapsed? There have been many empires in the past on earth - and they have survived changes in leadership. I'd find it hard to believe that this dark lord was unable to predict his own downfall (after correctly forseeing everything else) and not prepare for it. In other words, I left the movie disappointed with the effects and the story.

plot? EP II has a dark plot with the feeling of future doom. Very good, I thought

I agree. "Episode II" was a bit slow at times, but then, romance themes usually are slow. For example, take away the romance theme in "Titanic" and we'd probably have a movie that lasts 1.5 hours instead of 3.

I admit, EP I was not great, but it laid a very good foundation for it all.

When I saw "Episode I", I didn't hate Jar Jar Binks at all. Yes, he was a bit obnoxious, but on par for all of the other bizarre creatures Lucas had created in the past.

The only part I disliked was the child actor playing Anakin. Holey moley - what a miscast! This kid is easily the worst child actor I have ever seen. And no, I won't give him a "break" for only being a child. There have been numerous outstanding child actors throughout the years - Lucas just picked a bad one. That aside, I felt the movie was a great introduction to the film series.

But EP II was just as good as 4.

Or perhaps just a tad lower. I'd rate "A New Hope" first, then "The Empire Strikes Back" followed by "Attack of the Clones." "The Phantom Menace" and then "Return of the Jedi" complete my list. Yes, I put "Return..." last. If you don't agree, rewatch the film to see just how bad it is.

If the oldies were released today instead of then would they still be the huge classics they have become.

*agrees

I think if we only had the original "Star Wars" and Episode I, II, V and VI were all recently released (if you could imagine such a scenario), fans would tear apart episodes V and VI just as they are tearing apart I and II. Everyone has this vision of what the next installment of "Star Wars" should be - and when Lucas doesn't deliver this "dream", he has suddenly failed. They should keep in mind these are Lucas' dreams, not theirs. It would be like us being disappointed in a U2 album because it didn't live up to the dream we have of the album (and of course, there are numerous fans like that).

This is the only part I disagree with. "Star Wars" was so powerful when it was released that it captured the imaginations of millions. In contrast, many people, including myself, were not overwhelmed by the "Fellowship of the Ring." Yes, it was a good first installment, and wonderfully filmed and acted. But when I left the theater, all I could say was, "Gee, that dragged on forever." I wasn't alone in this thought as my friend felt the same and I heard a few others in the theater feel the same way. "Fellowship..." made a fortune, but I have a feeling the second film will suffer a bit ("suffering" meaning perhaps $200M and not $300M) because people won't want to sit through another 3 hours of a somewhat slow story.

However, since parts 2 and 3 have yet to be released, I will give the film series the benefit of the doubt and see what happens. It's just that right now, I can actually see the "Harry Potter" series being the new famous film-set. Granted, the first film was light-hearted and fun, but it was meant to be. This was where the characters were introduced and we get to see what "magic" means in the "Harry Potter" world. However, those of you who have read the 4 books to date know that the last book is VERY dark - hardly a real children's tale. If the remaining books continue along this dark path, the film series (if all 7 films are indeed made) could be one of the best ever.

Side Note: I have an official button with the title "Revenge of the Jedi." That was what this film was originally called (instead of "Return"). I've heard these buttons are worth some $$. Maybe I should go to eBay and find out.
wink.gif

*edited typos and added "side note"

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 05-19-2002).]

. But when I left the theater, all I could say was, "Gee, that dragged on forever."

oh, thats sad, but I guess not everyone can like everything.

I lost track of time when I was watching the movie. I felt like I was along for the adventure, and I forgot all about my bills and my rent
smile.gif

When I came out of the movie I was speechless, I really think PJ did a fantastic job of attacking the touching issues of the books. I was in tears at the end when sam jumped in the river and almost drowned just because he wouldn't dare break his promise to gandalf.

Anywho, I could ramble on forever about these movies and the books which I have read 4 times and will read again this year. The issues about humanity and love and loyalty and courage are what draws me so much to the lord of the rings.

end.

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

ltor was tha shiznit....and will be the definitive fantisy/scifi triology for the nxt couple of decades....im just hurt after all the pain and suffering gheto put me through by letting me..wait...im not gonna ruin it...lets just say there was a part that pissed me off and now i know what happens cause someone opened their big mouths..cause i never read the books, but will someday...

Back
Top Bottom