ok im learning french for GCSE next year, so i need help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
English is probably the most irrational language in the world, in terms of grammar, considering all of the exceptions. Once you figure out the proper conjugation of French verbs, and sentence structure organization, it will be relatively easy to navigate between the two. Nothing should take precedence over conversation practice though... it's disheartening to hear some of the more vile applications of the French accent.

Good luck.

:up:

I think French is actually really simple, and so is English. They are very, very simple in terms of grammar when compared to some other languages.

For example, in Latin you have 6 cases (nominative, genitive, dative, etc..) that you have to pretty much apply to most words, like nouns, adjectives, names, etc. Some Slavic languages have 7 cases. Furthermore, English is a gender neutral language, whereas in other languages, you can have feminine, masculine and neutral forms of certain words. So imagine conjugating a single adjective in one of 3 ways depending on gender, then add to that one of 7 possible conjugative cases, then add the tense and it's really very complicated.

I :heart: cases.

I was quite good at German and French because I knew English grammar well. If you could get a book like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...658/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i7_xgl/202-8432502-6131831 or another book that teaches French grammar in relation to English grammar, it might be easier for you to remember because you can relate the new information to what you already know, rather than trying to remember it on its own.

You have nothing to worry about -- French isn't that hard to learn, at least in my experience. I took German for GCSE but I actually speak French better than German since I studied it outside of school. When I was doing my German GCSE we had a book called 'English Grammar for German students' or something similar to that and I'm fairly sure they make a similar book for people studying French, so maybe you could look into that if you find the grammar difficult.

Something else which I find helpful when learning another language is to try to read newspapers or watch tv programmes in the language. If you have Sky then you can watch one of the French tv channels. Even though you probably won't understand everything that's said you can usually pick up the general meaning and it definitely helps your accent and pronunciation.

Sorry to ramble on for so long, lol. Good luck with your GCSEs! :)

I got an A* in French at GCSE and I'm not great at i t, if you learn set phrases with certain tenses you'll be grand. I found that the same questions came up every year and you could learn an essay/ letter before you sat the paper. :up:

Watch TV5! :D or move to Africa like I did. ;)

seriously tho, French isn't all that hard if you already know english. half the vocab is the same, just with a different accent. if you can find someone to talk with, your language will improve by leaps and bounds tho. something i have recently found out because i'm dating someone here and we speak french together all the time. i haven't learned new grammar so much as i have gotten comfortable using the grammar and tenses i "knew" in my head.

bon chance!

Back
Top Bottom