OK Computer vs. The Bends

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only two Radiohead albums I own... :reject: Both excellent of course. For the longest time I preferred The Bends for it's 'more 90s and less progressive' sound. But I have to say... the 1-2 punch of Airbag and Paranoid Android is too good to resist, not to mention the rest of OK.

:hmm: There is no versus. Both are :drool:

It has to be OK OK OK..........................but The Bends is still in my all time top ten albums of all time top ten albums. I mean how can anyone resist Fake Plastic Trees.................It weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaarsssssssssssss .........she looks like the real thing.............ahhh what a fuckin great song!

I have to go with OK Computer. Paranoid Android and Let Down put it over the top for me but Fake Plastic Trees, My Iron Lung and Just are magnificent too. Really, this is comparing an A++ album to an A+++ album.

OK Computer.

Obviously I heard The Bends first, bought it when it came out and absolutely fell in love with it sonically. I hadn't thought much of Radiohead previously, and to this day I could probably count on one hand the times I've listened to Pablo Honey all the way through in a single sitting.

But OK Computer - wow. I was finishing high school when it came out, I still remember sitting in Calculus class, talking about it with a guy I'd never spoken to before or again after that. It was that fantastic an album to me. At first it was Karma Police and Paranoid Android. Then Letdown and Lucky got to me and they've never quite let go.

No contest. OK Computer by a long shot.

Every track off Ok Computer is scintillating and moving.

Greenwoods guitar is amazing on some tracks. Electioneering, Airbag, Paranoid Android are unbelievable.

Fitter Happier is one of my favourite tracks on the album, the lyrics are cryptic but meaningful and the background music creates an amazing soundscape.

The Tourist, Climbing Up the Walls, SH alien, are all fantastic too.

Great album to listen to in bed. Soothing is some instances and invitingly frantic in others.

Only disappointment for me is No Surprises. It's a great song but seems out of place and it's quality is so overshadowed by the other tracks on the album.

The Bends however, whilst it is still a good album, is not "an album for all times" in my opinion. Sometimes it's a great thing to listen to, whilst at other times it is somewhat boring, provoking me to think "hurry up and finish."

Sulk, Bones and The Bends are the three outstanding tracks. Honourable mentions to all tracks except My Iron Lung and Bulletproof.

Track order also needs rejigging in my opinion. Just and My Iron Lung should not be together, and nor should High and Dry and Fake plastic Trees.

OK COMPUTER *****
BENDS *** and a half

Last edited:
i can't even choose. by far the two best radiohead albums. i liken it to the endless debates over the joshua tree (the bends) and achtung baby (ok computer). each is brilliant in its own way.

What is the one thing you can say to seduce me musically?

I'll take potent potables for 10000.

The Bends 'cause it was the first Radiohead album i bought back in '95. that time around Radiohead wasn't very popular. they were a bit of underground back then. the other band i liked a lot in 1995 was Urge Overkill. on the other hand OK Computer was their 2nd great album.

Airbag is one of my alltime favorite songs. Great musical parts...even tops some U2 songs in my heart.

Well, I guess I better post my own response here.

To me, The Bends is a perfect album. Perfect in the sense that The Joshua Tree is a perfect album. When I listen to this album, I know that this is Radiohead at its absolute best and consistent. EVERY track on The Bends is a pop masterpiece. Even Bulletproof.

The highs on this album are also atronomically high. "The Bends" is one of the most soaring and epic rock songs I've ever heard. "Fake Plastic Trees" is just undescribably beautiful, and "Just" is a rock animal. Every track has that kind of power though.

OK Computer, in my opinion has a few moments that top even the best of the Bends though. "Let Down" is Radiohead's best song, im my opinion. And mankind should not be able to create something as beautiful as "No Surprises".

However, OK Computer has several, I feel, major flaws that most people seem to overlook. Either that or I am simply jaded by The Bend's perfection. Most notworthy is "Fitter Happier". This song is filler. I'm sorry, but it's a waste of disc space. Not only does it disrupt to mood of the album, but it's just not enjoyable to listen to. Secondly, "Electioneering" not only doesn't fit the album, but it's a second-rate Radiohead song. B-side material, this track reminds me of the uninspired dullness that they put on Hail to the Theif. Just a few more things hurt this album for me. The bridge in Paranoid Android is too long. Actually, the whole song is too long. And really, this album is overrated. It's nowhere near the best "album" of the 90's, but it's not even the best Radiohead album.

Overall, it's no personal surprise that I prefer The Bends to OK Computer. It's just a better album. I still must admit, however, that OK Computer does deliver some of the greatest musical moments in Radiohead's career (No Surprises, Let Down, SH Alien).

Either, or both if you prefer. Which one do you like better, which one do you feel is objectively a better album, stronger songs, flaws in each?

Ok - I love both albums. I would hate to choose only one - but if I had to, I would pick the Bends.

Overall the Bends has stronger songs (impecable melodies, great structure, great artistry, etc.). The only thing the Bends lacks (and I know some of you look at it as a lack - I don't really) is that it is no where near "ground breaking" as OK Computer. What it is a collection of incredible songs - and songs live on forever.

OK Computer is a frenetic masterpiece. Great songs that are enhanced by the bands willingness not to play by the rules. The dissonance that Jonny creates on the album is nothing short of brilliant - but this strength also takes away from the songs to a degree. They don't fall into the classic "song" category for me. They fall in the classic "rock" category - if that makes any sense at all.:huh:

In the end, I wouldn't change either album. I don't want the bends to be any more expiramental and I don't want Ok to be any more polished or structured. But, if I could only pick one - I think I would go with the bends.

Yes, Ok Computer certainly IS Radiohead's forth best album. Unfortunatly The Bends is their first best.

Back
Top Bottom