Oh you poor Bostonians...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually now its not too bad, most of the main portions are complete, and certain traffic routes have gotten better as a result. Not happy baout the huge toll increases to pay for it however.

Driving in Boston is hellish, period. The Big Dig, for the most part, is finished, minus cleanup. Eliminating the traffic nightmare, formerly known as the "Central Artery," has really been the most marked improvement.

My suggestion, overall, is to not believe everything you see on television. We balk at a 20 year, $15 billion project, when many Asian and European nations would think nothing of it. Boston has improved and will improve for the better once all the kinks have been worked out and the old highway has been completely ripped out, replaced with more modest development and parks.

Boston, however, has a long-running traffic problem that has nothing to do with the Big Dig, for the most part, and nothing short of demolishing buildings to widen the road will fix that...unless they take a cue from "Red Ken" in London and start charging massive tolls to drive in Downtown Boston.

The main reason I left Boston, though, was because the rent was too ridiculous. These days, though, I wish I were still living there...

Melon

Well its good to hear that it's not as bad as the news makes it out to be. But when i saw stories about the leaks and that it would take 10 years to fix i just felt so bad for people having to deal with that.

U2democrat said:
How much longer can y'all put up with the Big Dig? What's it like actually having to put up with the big dig? It sounds like a mess.

I don't live in the city and get in rarely these days. When I do travel in, most of the time it is by train.

heh, 19 years in Boston was enough for me, now I live north of it and having grown up there I still know every back way into the city that DOESN'T involve the Giant Leaking Mess when we go down to bring the little one to visit her grandparents.

Call me superstitious but I remember the California earthquake with people getting trapped inside the collapsing freeways... with this new information that the BRAND NEW Central Artery tunnels are leaking water everywhere, no way in HELL am I going to drive through it now.
Nuh uh. Nooooooooo. :no:

I remember when I lived out there....I'd have a freakin' panic attack everytime I tried to drive. Eventually I refused to and made everyone else do it. But the city is soooo wonderful though, once I made it in I forgot all about my trauma! The city just has this European feel to it...I miss it.

Back
Top Bottom