Oh jeez...Report: Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt expecting - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2007, 06:57 PM   #196
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:55 PM
I agree, Jules. Angelina has definitely matured in the last several years. She seems to be a smart, level-headed woman, and who are we to judge how many children she wants to adopt, and how fast they're doing it? I personally think it's great that they're adding to their family this way.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:12 PM   #197
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
And I personally know guys who got 'stuck'. that's why I see it that way.
i do understand where you're coming from and believe me, the situation you described is very shady (i mean as in that a woman would make a man adopt her kids because their biological fathers didn't pay child support). however, this situation is completely different so i don't see where it makes sense to compare the two.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:06 PM   #198
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:55 AM
Quote:

It's one thing if a couple has been married for 10 years and has a 9 year old they adopted together. But the way Hollywood romances go, and the way Angelina is adopting willy nilly like a Valley girl on a shopping spree, it's only a matter of time before it all caves in. I hate to see him stuck paying when we really don't know if he's as gung ho as she is.
You've obviously never adopted. Ask anyone who has and they will tell you from day 1, that is your child. It's the same. Period.

And if he's not as "gung ho" then it's his fault for agreeing to adopt the children, not hers. And furthermore, not like she's going to bankrupt him for heaven's sake. She's not exactly hurting for cash and gold digging her way to Brad Pitt. The woman pulls in enormous amounts - wasn't her St. John's deal worth something like $12 million/year? And that's just one, nevermind the movies and so on.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:32 PM   #199
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

You've obviously never adopted. Ask anyone who has and they will tell you from day 1, that is your child. It's the same. Period.

Well, I asked the guy I told you about, and he felt stuck, used, and very sorry he had committed to somebody else's kid. I know ever situation is different but you have to consider that side too. I'm not talking about happy couples taking in a baby they both want. His story was something else, and I wonder if Brad won't feel he was taken in at the heat of a moment too. But like you said, it's his own fault. I am NOT putting down adoption! For Heaven's sakes, everyone knows how anti-abortion I am, I think it's great, but there are also some extreme cases and weird situations, and I think wacky Angelina is one of them.

I still think she's getting too many too fast, she's a collector on a 'kick' and overly fanatical and it won't be a good thing for anyone in the long run. I don't think she's all that sane or stable. Madonna is another story, she adopted ONE after she was out of child bearing years. As I said before, I knew I was going to get bashed, and I knew by who. I don't care, I still think I'm right. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. We'll see what happens as time goes on. In the meantime there's no need to argue.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:39 PM   #200
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

very sorry he had committed to somebody else's kid.
Well, there you have it. He committed to someone else's kid, by his own choice.

I know many singles who have adopted children. Not all programs or countries require a partner or a spouse. I don't understand why anyone would commit to a child he or she doesn't actually want.

I guess I don't understand how you could defend this behavior when you're outspoken on your views regarding the abandonment of animals (and rightly so). It's not OK to neglect or turn your back on an animal, but with a child it's excusable?
Old 03-04-2007, 10:54 PM   #201
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:55 PM
Well, I certainly understand what U2Kitten is saying, as I have an uncle whose second wife became a completely different person as soon as her kids were officially his, and he was then stuck paying child support for the next ten years after their divorce.

But I don't think it's fair to judge people who are adopting just because you know a handful of people who'd had gotten the rotten end of the stick in a divorce/child support story.

As for Angelina "collecting" kids ... I don't really have an opinion on that. Mia Farrow adopted a lot of children as well - did people have the same opinion of her back in the day?
Old 03-04-2007, 11:17 PM   #202
Blue Crack Addict

I can understand that these stories exist.

But here we are dealing with people who are extremely wealthy and both of whom are on just about the same financial level. So I just don't see what the fear of being "stuck" with child support payments is based on given that Brad is worth around $100 million and she can hardly be seen as a gold digger herself. We are not talking about some woman who is out there looking for a man to provide for her because she's incapable of doing so herself.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:23 PM   #203
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:55 PM
An excellent point.

(By the way, great signature - I love that song.)
Old 03-04-2007, 11:51 PM   #204
Blue Crack Addict

The 'stuck' guy was only a secondary issue here. The main thing that gives me the geebies is that she seems to be collecting kids like she'd collect shoes, one of each style, and I don't think she's going to stop. I know she's rich, but there is more to taking care of a kid for life than money. I do not think she is a stable or sane person, and this is a factor and why I would worry more about her doing it than someone else. Other stars adopt one, but she just doesn't stop, and I can't help but think in her case it may be a phase she's going through and she will lose interest later and I wonder what will happen to the whole bunch. It's a huge responsibility and I don't trust her with it. I think she's a freak and she's jumping the gun and playing with lives because she may not be as devoted to them later as she is now. Just like somebody taking in too many pets and losing interest.

And yes, I do worry about it like I worry about animals. I also worry when I see somebody going on a 'kick' of adopting a bunch of animals, then in a couple of years they've changed their mind and want to go do something else and ditch them. I have even heard of people un-adopting, kids, literally turning them back over to the orphanage. (though nobody puts a kid to sleep, but don't even get me started on that.)

Again that's MY feelings on this, I'm not going to argue.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:23 AM   #205
Blue Crack Addict

So, it's OK for "normal" people to have/adopt a dozen kids, but when a "star" does it, we should assume they have some dark ulterior motive?

Old 03-05-2007, 10:31 AM   #206
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje
So, it's OK for "normal" people to have/adopt a dozen kids, but when a "star" does it, we should assume they have some dark ulterior motive?

You missed the point. It's not a dark ulterior motive, it's that she is a weird, crazy and unstable person- her own father said so on national TV. I don't think she has any bad intentions but I think in time something bad may come of it because right now she's on collecting kick and later on she may not still be interested in the kids, but they'll still be there. And even if you just get somebody to take care of them, what about their emotional and mental well being? You, as always, completely twist everything I say. I don't think Mia Farrow was a nutty weirdo. I see lots of people adopting a lot of special needs kids and I don't think that. I see other stars adopting kids and I don't think that. But I think she is a freak and that's why it bothers me.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:28 AM   #207
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
You missed the point. It's not a dark ulterior motive, it's that she is a weird, crazy and unstable person- her own father said so on national TV. I don't think she has any bad intentions but I think in time something bad may come of it because right now she's on collecting kick and later on she may not still be interested in the kids, but they'll still be there.
Adoption agencies have very strict screening processes. It's not like going to the pound and picking up a puppy. They don't let just anyone get a baby, regardless of celeb status or money. Many people think that Madonna got her baby just because she was Madonna. Well, only THREE babies were allowed to be adopted outside of Malawi that year. She went through hell to get that baby, but like many many couples who get in over their head, you can't just turn your back and say "oh nevermind, it's not worth it anymore."

As for Angelina's father, he's not exactly what I'd consider the most upstanding character whose opinions should be given more credibility.

I still don't get why for her you assume she is "collecting kids" that she will turn on later on, but many regular couples have adopted FAR more children than this in a much smaller time span, but we should assume they are more normal and stable because they don't have wacko fathers saying shit about them on national TV?

Personally, I think adopting children is one of the most altruistic things people can do. Unless we know the adopters personally, I think it's pretty tasteless to question their mental stability and abilities as parents.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:35 AM   #208
ONE
love, blood, life

That baby is beautiful!
Old 03-05-2007, 12:35 PM   #209
Blue Crack Addict

Well you know Lies how in the world can I ever argue with your perfect, self righteous, holier than thou speeches, you know it all! I disagree, but what good does it do to say it. Only time will tell what happens, but I cannot help feeling the way I do about the Angelina kid collection.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:49 PM   #210
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Well you know Lies how in the world can I ever argue with your perfect, self righteous, holier than thou speeches, you know it all!
WTF?

I don't know why you seem to have this persecution complex. She wasn't being even remotely rude to you.