Oh Cubs..... Im so sorry you didnt reach the World Series (again!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dougal55

War Child
Oh NO! how SO SO SO disappointing to see Cubs throw it all away! what a crying shame! :sad:

As a Brit who happens to love baseball, I just feel for you Cub fans... really I do... and heres why.....i know its doesnt make it any better but at least you know you are not the only one.....

My beloved (football or soccer as all americans call it) team, Newcastle United is about the same as the Cubs in terms of frustration and patience of waiting and waiting for the team to win either the top league championship and/or the FA Cup (knockout club competition). The last time Newcastle had won the top league championship was the 1926-27 season and the last time they won the FA Cup? 1955.

And we are still waiting..... we were close a few times in the past 10 years of winning the championship or FA Cup. Most famously, in the 1995-96 season, Newcastle were 12 points in the lead at the top and were several games away from winning the title for the first time since 1926-27. We were practically coasting towards the title then but something happened in the same way when Cubs were so close in clinching a berth in this year's World Series. Newcastle just collapsed and lost quite a few important games along with draws but only one or two wins thus virtually giving the title on a plate to my most hated soccer team, Manchester United! To this day, Newcastle fans (Toon Army we are called) still laments about that season as if it was a curse on their beloved team.

Anyway, on that basis, I was so rooting for Cubs throughout the NLDS and the NLCS cos I know how frustrated their fans are and how passionate they also are about baseball. I dont think I have ever come across such a passionate army of baseball fans as the Cubs are! In a way, its the same as Newcastle fans, soccer is in our blood in the same way as baseball is in Cubbies' blood.

Final thing to say is Sorry Cubs but Im sure now that the team would feel so much more determined next year to try again! They will, believe me, they will!

As for the other game, YOU GO SOX!!!!!!!

dougal

I really wanted the Cubs to win. The fans in Chicago must be so disappointed.
I hope whoever wins the ALCS beats the Marlins, but that's a tall order. The Marlins are on fire, and they've got hot pitching...and that wins games.

if the moon was made out of hot dogs... would you eat it? come on norm... it's a very simple question. i know i would

caray6.jpg

Fox must be seriously bummed...the ratings for a Sox/Cubs series would have set records, Cubs/Yanks would have been nearly as high...Marlins are a ratings killer.

I agree headache....

Cubs/Red Sox World Series would have been a HUGE TV ratings winner.... but it was not to be....Marlins/Sox series would be slightly better while Marlins/Yankees would be terrible!

dougal

There was sympathy for you. People consoled you.

As for Cubs vs. Braves in the sympathy game...Cubs get in the playoffs every once in a while...they are the underdog of underdogs. When they lose, the underdog loses. Everyone loves the underdog.

Braves are not an underdog. They are a consistently GOOD team that has bad luck in the playoffs. :shrug:

cool :up:

It is hard to tell sometimes.

I am not sure if NBC really wanted to know in your friend Cain was his brother's keeper.

Damn. I'm disappointed that the Cubs didn't win. No offense to the Marlins but honestly the Cubs haven't won a pennant since 1946!!

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
hey look at our terrible attendance during a summer afternoon game during the middle of the week. gah what crap fans we have. :rolleyes:

and goodness look at all of our pennet flags in the outfield! :wink:
337%3C488%3B23232%7Ffp8%3Enu%3D3235%3E4%3C%3A%3E792%3Ewsnrcg%3D32324%3B44%3C4749nu0mrj

337%3C488%3B23232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2326%3D5%3B%3B%3D883%3Dxroqdf%3E23233%3C35%3B5992ot1lsi

note all the empty seats in the upper deck... and :gasp: look at the lack of world series flags!

Last edited:
yeah well look at all the people at a mid summer's day game at Shea stadium! heh? heh?
shea.jpg

ahh crap...

the problem people have with braves fans isn't the regular season... no one sells out every game in the regular season, except for maybe the cubs... the problem is in the playoffs. thousands of empty seats durring a playoff game is disgraceful.
note... same stadium, this time in the playoffs...
shea_3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom