Official Trailer for Flight 93

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks interesting... I hope they treat the subject with respect. And that they also bear in mind that these facts (I.e., passengers taking down the plane) were never proven true...

Last edited:
I saw the trailer in the theater last week, it gave me chills. I don't want to see that movie, I did watch one of the TV movies and that was difficult enough to deal with.

I can't watch this film. The trailer brings back too many strong emotions. While I was fortunate in that I didn't personally know anyone who died that day, I had friends that worked at the trade center and got out and one whose shift ended less than 3 hours before the airplanes struck (he worked on the top floors and would've been killed...he lost many co-workers on that day.
I live close to Newark airport (and used to worked there) and was able to smell the fire after the towers collapsed. The trailer brought back fear, grief, anger and is not where I want to be emotionally. It doesn't help that my mother was killed in an (accidental) plane crash. I won't be seeing it.

I was also 2 blocks away from the WTC when it happened.

That is what I am actually hoping. That they do not turn this film into some sort of a pure demonstration of patriotism with low blows and try to show some facts that actually can convince me that this Flight 93 story was actually true.

Wow. It's amazing how upsetting that trailer can be... it's going to be interesting to see how this movie does. While it looks interesting, it's really going to be hard for so many people to watch, if they even can.

In my opinion this is seriously distasteful. The movie has been in production just months after 9/11 and was put on hold until the US was ready to "handle" it. Unlike the documentary that was made, the families of the victims had no say whatsoever in the production of this movie and that's what bothers me the most.

It's just sickening that such a traumatic event is turned into Hollywood entertainment for profit. Barf.

I really don't see any reason to see it. I know I won't. I go to movies to be entertained or hear a good story. This is no better than 'The Passion' if you ask me.

i'll watch it. almost every major tragedy has had a movie made about it.

if anything, that shit movie "Titanic" was distasteful, making a dumb love story overshadow everything.

Im sorry I just refuse to watch something like this. There has been far too much pain and suffering already. Why make anyone relieve this all over again for HollyWood's financial gain? Will never get the live image of watching those planes hit those towers out of my mind.

All great art has celebrated life, uncovered it's truth, or shown the heartbreaks.

The heartbreak may be personal or it may be universal.

No one should dismiss a movie, song, or a painting for it's content until they see it for themselves.

No subject is untouchable.

I saw the trailer again, it was a different one than I've seen previously. It was even more upsetting than the previous one.

It's directed by the guy who directed Bourne Supremacy, something about that just bugs me-like it's just another action/suspense/thriller movie. I know I cannot sit in a theater and watch it. I could never go to the theater to see Schindler's List and movies like that, I get too emotional and I prefer to watch them in private.

Of course the Oliver Stone 9/11 movie will be coming out this year too.

Last edited:
I saw the trailer when I watched Munich and it does feel very creepy to watch.

If I remember right though, weren't there two "official" big Hollywood movies about 9/11? Flight 93, and another was about firefighters ... ?

I watched the trailer and it gave me chills. The sight of those planes hitting the buildings has been permanently burned into my brain, I think. I'll never forget it.

However, I do disagree with the notion that the 11th of September shouldn't be made into a movie. There've been movies made about the Holocaust, Vietnam, the Gulf War, etc., all of which obviously saw tremendous loss of civilian life. Some even more so than 9/11. It may be a bit early to be releasing a film like this because it still feels like it happened just the other day. But it shouldn't be untouchable by any means.

Personally I find the other movies such as the Holocaust and such very hard to watch. Yes it's history but to me it just seems wrong to make a movie out of a loss of so many civilian lives. Why have us relieve moments like that on a big screen? This is just imo though and Im sure there will be others who will feel differently.

U2girl said:
I saw the trailer when I watched Munich and it does feel very creepy to watch.

If I remember right though, weren't there two "official" big Hollywood movies about 9/11? Flight 93, and another was about firefighters ... ?

Oliver Stone's movie is the firefighter movie.
It's called 'World Trade Center' last time I saw.
nicholas Cage is the main actor.

I saw the made for TV movie (FLight 93) on A&E a month or so ago. It was done rather well, all things considered.

(Reuters)"United 93," a film dramatization of the events on the hijacked plane that crashed in Pennsylvania on September 11, will have its world premiere at a New York film festival next month.

"'United 93' recreates the doomed trip in actual time, from takeoff to hijacking to the realization by those onboard that their plane was part of a coordinated attack unfolding on the ground beneath them," organizers of the Tribeca Film Festival said on Wednesday.

The festival was founded by actor Robert De Niro in 2002 to help revitalize lower Manhattan after the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Center.

Opening films in previous years have been comedies such as "About a Boy" and "Down with Love" as well as the thriller "The Interpreter" last year. This year's choice of "United 93" as the opening film returns the focus to Tribeca's roots.

"The festival was basically created eight months after September 11 and it was to give our neighborhood something to look forward to and to help the renewal, and to do that you need to laugh," the festival's co-founder Jane Rosenthal told Reuters.

"We found ourselves for several years saying we need a comedy. In year five, we need to remember," she said.

Written and directed by Paul Greengrass, director of "The Bourne Supremacy," the film is billed as a drama about the passengers, crew, their families on the ground and the flight controllers who watched as events unfold on the fourth airline hijacked on September 11, 2001.

Two of the planes crashed into the World Trade Center and the third into the Pentagon. Passengers on the fourth plane sent messages to loved ones saying the plane had been hijacked and they were going to try to overcome the hijackers.

Rosenthal said that after nearly five years there was a danger the events of September 11 were fading from people's memories. "A lot has happened in the world and as a country we seem to have a short term memory loss," she said.

Some of the relatives of those who died on United 93 are expected to attend the premiere in New York on April 25, the first night of the festival which runs until May 7.

"It is never easy to relive the events of 9/11, yet I support 'United 93' as a tribute to the heroism of my brother and the 39 other passengers and crew who collectively chose to say 'no' on that fateful day," Gordon Felt, who lost his brother Edward on September 11, said in a statement.

The films in competition at the festival include several with political themes, particularly related to the Middle East and the war in Iraq.

"We're a festival that was started because of an act of war, so we have always had films and panel discussions that bring up difficult subjects," Rosenthal said.

This trailer is pretty damn moving and emotional...I wounder how people will respond to the film?

It's too long to post, but here's a link to an interesting debate about the ethics of issuing the United 93 trailer for public release from slate.com.

Back
Top Bottom