Official Thread for Albums of the Year 2004

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are we allowed to post re-releases that came out in 2004 in radically different shape than when they first appeared? Like, I know that the new release of NIN's The Downward Spiral wouldn't count, because it just has a second bonus disc; but what about something like Talkings Heads' The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads, which basically completed the original release? It is a completely different album, now that it's been "finished." The same goes for something like The Velvets' Live At Max's Kansas City. What's the story with those sorts of releases?

And, for the record, the US release of M83's debut was in 2004; July, I think. Like Dizzee Rascal's debut, the US release was in 2004, whereas the "true" initial release was in 2003.

so, I want add M83 to my list... in number 5... and delete The Coral album

I think the NIN should count; the DualDisc release is a single disc, original on one side, vastly superior DVD-A remix on the flipside. The material may be familiar, but the execution is only possible here and now. "The Downward Spiral" is a 1994 album, "The Downward Spiral" in surround sound is a definite 2004 release.

And so....

1. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb -- U2
2. Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned -- the Prodigy
3. The Downward Spiral -- NIN
4. Peachtree Road -- Elton John
5. One Day Remains -- Alter Bridge
6. We Are Not Alone -- Breaking Benjamin
7. Size Matters -- Helmet
8. American Idiot -- Green Day
9. This Type of Thinking Could Do Us In -- Chevelle
10. Franz Ferdinand

C.

Last edited:
yertle-the-turtle said:

*I haven't actually bought these yet. But I will. Damn thy exacting standards EP. If thou dost not allowest this, I will sell those two spots to IWB. Woo-hah.

:lol:

Jack In The Box said:

in 2004? it was in 2003, right?... because I love that album...

Yes, it counts.

Muse does not however.

And no re-issues please, if thats what the NIN release is.

Also, everyone, if you want to add or take away from your list, please just edit your original post of your list if you can, makes the thread less messy.

Last edited:
Elvis Presley said:

Also, everyone, if you want to add or take away from your list, please just edit your original post of your list if you can, makes the thread less messy.

The only problem is you can't edit after one hour. :(

D'oh! Can't believe I forgot Kenny Chesney. And Billy Currington. And Slipknot. Aaargh....

(Yeah, I like metal and country and techno. Deal with it.)

C.

Elvis Presley said:

And no re-issues please

That's why Ryan Adams' Love Is Hell is not on my list. I've noticed some music mags and such having it as one of the albums of the year, but I still say it was released in 2003 because of those two EPs.

Lost Highway sure mucked that one up. :rolleyes:

here's my NINE albums of the year, for 2004.
my songs of the year will be posted later.

9. the go! team - thunder lightning strike

kieran m. is to be thanked here. it doesn't get much FUNNER than this. it feels like i'm at a football rally every time i listen to one of their songs. pus her voice makes me cream my pants.

8. modest mouse - good news for people who like bad news

i probably listened to 'float on' 10,000 times this year.

7. franz ferdinand - franz ferdinand

these guys sound even better live. if you were fortunate enough to see them live, or hear a live set on cbc radio 2 earlier this autumn, you'll know what i mean. these guys make great pop music.

unfortunately, i can't see them being able to progress far musically down the road. but who knows? no need to worry about that for today.

6. stars - set yourself on fire

beautiful and fun, stars' latest offering is full of great melodies. stand out tracks include 'ageless beauty', 'he lied about death', and 'reunion'.

5. pinback - summer in abaddon

elvis presley, thank you very much. even though 'fortress' is far and away my favourite song, the rest is really great too.

4. the arcade fire - funeral

forgive the lameness here, but i want to move into their neighbourhood.

songs such as 'tunnels', 'wake up', and my favourite, 'rebellion' are absolutely epic. if only they sounded better live! no, that's not fair, it's just that the singers voice just seems to not hold up well, at least from what i've heard anyway.

along with broken social scene, the arcade fire are making canada, NOT THE UK the indie country of the world.

3. the walkmen - bows and arrows

this album has the single of the year. 'the rat' is biggest kick ass song of 2004, and if you don't feel the same way, i'll question your authority and'll be willing to put you in the dock.

not a lot grabbed me about this cd when i first bought it, but, funny enough, after vacuuming the house with it in my discman, i finally connected with it. to this day, 'my old man' is one of my favourite rock songs, and i'm not sure why. it's just one of those things. 'what's in it for me', 'house of savages', and 'thinking of a dream i had' are all great tunes.

2. u2 - how to dismantle an atomic bomb

many of you know how i felt about u2 following all that you can't leave behind, and to be honest, i wasn't altogether excited about the prospect of a new release. however, i find these songs to have more of an edge than those from the 2000 effort, and don't believe they sound as though they've been run through a trial process to make sure the mass public will accept them.

that said, bono still gets on my nerves, but i guess i'll just try and ignore him. he does a lot of good things re: poverty, aids, etc. and for that i commend him to no end.

1. wilco - a ghost is born

album. of. the. year. i've enjoyed wilco for about one, maybe two years now, but wasn't all that excited about their new cd. not sure why, but i had a hard time getting into the hype.

the first song i downloaded was the 11 minute migraine more commonly referred to as 'less than you think'. sweet mother of mercy. it just doesn't get better than this. the first 2-3 minutes are obviously the most...important? but the noise buildup throughout the latter stages is brilliantly beautiful. tweedy said it was supposed to reflect the awful headaches he had been going through at the time. hopefully not anymore.

anyway, as i listened to the album, i found myself immediately drawn to 'at least that's what you said'. who knew they were capable of such good guitar work? from there, spiders was another song that i was drawn to, as its structure and sound reminded me of 'backdrifts' by radiohead. really good song.

but as it stands today, songs like 'company in my back' and 'wishful thinking' along with with 'less than you think' make this album for me. such amazingly beautiful songs not only set this album apart from everything else this year, but to me, is my favourite work since radiohead's amnesiac.

to emphasize its greatness, it has the feel of a 2000 version of the joshua tree. i don't expect anyone else to feel the same way, but to me, it just has that same vein to it.

Last edited:
Embrace's "Out of Nothing" is increadible. It's too bad Coldplay's new album hasn't come out yet to give HTDAAB some good compitition.

Your list won't count Zoomerang96, unless you can come up with a tenth album. Elvis Presley said so. So, you're shit out of luck unless you can find something to occupy the number ten spot. I can't offer any answers, maybe you want to call a friend?

Kieran McConville said:
Your list won't count Zoomerang96, unless you can come up with a tenth album. Elvis Presley said so. So, you're shit out of luck unless you can find something to occupy the number ten spot. I can't offer any answers, maybe you want to call a friend?

Bow to my (lack of) authority....

:|

Kieran McConville said:

:lmao:

Zoomy, just pick one off my list. It will make me happy, therefore making you happy.

DO IT! :mad:

actually, i totally forgot perhaps what is my favourite album of the year.

funny how that happens...that's why i hate lists, i always forget something.

please insert "saturday morning empires" in @ #2, and bump everything else back one spot.

great collection of music, and has two of my favourite songs of the year on it.

Zoomerang96 said:
actually, i totally forgot perhaps what is my favourite album of the year.

funny how that happens...that's why i hate lists, i always forget something.

please insert "saturday morning empires" in @ #2, and bump everything else back one spot.

great collection of music, and has two of my favourite songs of the year on it.

I think you also forgot M83 and The Secret Machines didnt you old boy?

actually, no. while those two are quite solid, i enjoyed the said others a bit more. :sexywink:

OK I'll try but I am having a problem finding 10 decent records from this year...

1. U2 - HTDAAB
2. Wilco - A Ghost Is Born
3. Interpol - Antics
4. Social D - Sex, Love and Rock and Roll
5. Clash - London Calling (Legacy Ed.); new tracks so I thought this would count.
6. Von Bondies - Pawn Shoppe Heart
7. Franz Ferdinand - Great record but lets see what they can do for a second album.
8. Killers - Hot Fuss
9. Nirvana - With the Lights Out
10. Kinks - Village Green Reissue

Anything Joy Division has created should be on this list for those who have not heard them yet...it is a new release to you...

I have to say that I was more intreagued with the disappointing albums released this year:

1. REM - Around the Sun (way too tame for a political record; Bill Berry please come back)
2. Beastie Boys - To the 5 Boroughs (are these the same fellas who gave to world Paul's Boutique and Check you Head?)
3. Manics - Lifeblood (some decent tunes but overall a lttile tame as well)
4. Hives - Tran. Hives (just an overhyped record from an over-hyped band)

Just a question:
How are the Secret Machines and the Scissor Sisters? I haven't been able to pick those records as of yet...

Back
Top Bottom