Official Jimi Hendrix vs. Jimmy Page Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
00Kevin said:
I give the EDGE to Hendrix.

Did you even ask his family if it was OK!@!!

:happy:

For those not who did not follow the original joke I placed up there, I thought I would spend the time with you guys to expain it at length. You see, we post on a board devoted to a fetish band called U2, and in fact one of the band members (a musician that commits to a monogamous instrument relationship) is known as The Edge. Curious nickname for sure, and a story for another time (never).

Now, in an attempt to make light of the topic suggested in this thread (much in the same vein as typhoon's and yertle's well played posts), I changed the emphasis on a word to make it appear that OOKevin actually proposed to physically give The Edge to Jimi Hendrix. Hold on. This is where it gets hysterically funny: He meant "EDGE" as a term of advantage. He really wasn't saying The Edge, but an ultimately clever move I made up there (look again, seriously... it's worth the effort) shifted the meaning to, you guessed it- HILARIOUS.

We should really do this more often you and I.

I was compelled by management.

They want me to use more words now to save space.

Jimi was more innovative, probably. But I'd have to say in terms of sheer skill and variety of styles, Page takes the cake.

shaun vox said:
hendrix played an ugly strat and page a beautiful gibson les paul!!

:|

slash, I mean shaun, are you like 13 or something?

really.

Hendrix> Page
Hendrix> Edge> Page
Hendrix> Satch> Edge> Page> Slash
Hendrix> Satch> Edge> Gilmour> Slash> Jack White

Jack White with a slide<> Duane Allman with a slide

Those two guys with a slide= Pwn

In other words Page can be sloppy as hell, while Hendrix remains a pwnzor, Edge and Morello= Pwn on the effects, Satch= Pwn on all, White and Allman= Pwn on the slide, Gilmour= Pwn on the guitar proper, Slash= Roxxor:wink:

ZeroDude said:
In other words Page can be sloppy as hell, while Hendrix remains a pwnzor, Edge and Morello= Pwn on the effects, Satch= Pwn on all, White and Allman= Pwn on the slide, Gilmour= Pwn on the guitar proper, Slash= Roxxor:wink:

I don't understand your lingo. what's a
pwnzor?
pwn?
roxxor?

:|

ZeroDude said:

What made Page great was that he was sloppy...that was the point. He was the ultimate improvisor, which is what rock and roll (indeed the blues) is and should be all about. Zeppelin's "How the West was Won), Page at his peak, blows way anything Hendrix ever did live, great as he was. This improvisation was what made Zep arguably the greatest live act of all time (with U2 sharing that designation)

...and comparing Edge to Page is like comparing apples and oranges. Edge never considered himself a "guitar hero". Edge is certainly one of the most innovative guitarists of our time, ...but stating Edge>Page is simplistic at best, ingorant at worst.

Hendrix, but I'd much rather listen to Page.

Cujo needs to provide more sexplanations.

Moonlit_Angel said:
Hendrix played guitar with his teeth.

That alone impresses me.

Yet Page's coke finger doesn't BLOW you away?

:shh:

Hendrix was on his own as a guitarist. The guy was from a different planet. No one sounds like him and no one ever will. The greatest musician EVER to walk this planet and a great song writer as well. If you need proof of a guitarist of another dimension just listen to the Concerts Album and the live versions of Are you experienced and Hey Joe. Absolute GENIUS!

I'd vote Hendrix. Hendrix also sang as well as played at the same time. I don't see how Page improvised any more or any better than Hendrix. Page's one advantage over Hendrix (outside of the macabre benefits from dying in one's prime) was that Page was able to develop his style and music over a longer period of time thus basically IMO do more than Jimi could have.

Jeff Beck rules over all guitar gods of the 60s and early 70s. :wink:

Last edited:
rjhbonovox said:
Hendrix was on his own as a guitarist. The guy was from a different planet. No one sounds like him and no one ever will. The greatest musician EVER to walk this planet and a great song writer as well. If you need proof of a guitarist of another dimension just listen to the Concerts Album and the live versions of Are you experienced and Hey Joe. Absolute GENIUS!

yeah dude, he was great.
but he was not the greatest musician ever on the planet.
maybe you think so, but really, not.
john coltrane, bach, beethoven, miles...maybe, but even then I wouldn't give anyone that title because it's dumb.

page was better as a producer and songwriter; hendrix was better as a sonic lightning rod.

imo.

LeafsNation said:

What made Page great was that he was sloppy...that was the point. He was the ultimate improvisor, which is what rock and roll (indeed the blues) is and should be all about. Zeppelin's "How the West was Won), Page at his peak, blows way anything Hendrix ever did live, great as he was. This improvisation was what made Zep arguably the greatest live act of all time (with U2 sharing that designation)

...and comparing Edge to Page is like comparing apples and oranges. Edge never considered himself a "guitar hero". Edge is certainly one of the most innovative guitarists of our time, ...but stating Edge>Page is simplistic at best, ingorant at worst.

Really you shouldn't take my last post seriously, indeed I agree that Page was a good improvisor but Hendrix was more in touch with his guitars emotional values, his sonic scapes and wailing influenced many more a guitarist than Page due to this I have have to say Jimi > Jimmy atleast imo

Back
Top Bottom