Official Jimi Hendrix vs. Jimmy Page Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JOFO said:

yeah dude, he was great.
but he was not the greatest musician ever on the planet.
maybe you think so, but really, not.
john coltrane, bach, beethoven, miles...maybe, but even then I wouldn't give anyone that title because it's dumb.

page was better as a producer and songwriter; hendrix was better as a sonic lightning rod.

imo.

Good post :up:

ZeroDude said:

Really you shouldn't take my last post seriously, indeed I agree that Page was a good improvisor but Hendrix was more in touch with his guitars emotional values, his sonic scapes and wailing influenced many more a guitarist than Page due to this I have have to say Jimi > Jimmy atleast imo

Sorry, was having a bad day..my post was a little strong. Hendrix basically invented the genre...Page perfected it IMO.

Cheers

jimmy. jimi hendrix was amazing, a legend, of course, but i'd rather listen to jimmy play. i'm not sure anybody can really come close to page.

I have long believed Page to be the preeminent guitarist in rock history. Then again, I know next to nothing about the guitar, so I am unsure how much my opinion is worth. I will say, however, that the man certainly could create a killer riff.

00Kevin said:
Who's the better gutarist? I give the edge to Hendrix.

Writing, Producing, Imagination: Page
Playing, Stage Presence, Excitement: Hendrix

discothequeLP said:
jimmy. jimi hendrix was amazing, a legend, of course, but i'd rather listen to jimmy play. i'm not sure anybody can really come close to page.

was no one supposed to notice that your reply was two years late? :wink:

Hendrix, definitely. Zeppelin is awesome, but I'm not crazy into them. Axis: Bold as Love, on the other hand, is one of my favourite albums of all time. Little Wing is one of the most beautiful songs ever written and I'd take it over Stairway to Heaven anyday. Also, Spanish Castle Magic = :rockon: :drool: :rockon: :drool: :rockon:

I love Little Wing, too, but Stairway it is not. The solo is just one of those transcendent moments of rock, I really don't know how to describe it. I still remember where I was, when it was, and how I felt when I first heard Stairway.

Hate to sound like James Lipton, but it could be one of the best songs ever written by any artist ever; it truly is a delight. Plus, my lukewarm reception of Zeppelin is pretty well-documented here.

Frankly, listening to a lot of bootlegs, Page is pretty fricken' sloppy live.

As far as the better composer and riffmaker, perhaps Page, but Hendrix just seemed to pull these amazing lines out of nowhere live. If you hear a Page solo from a live performance, you know he's playing a penatonic minor scale. If you hear a Hendrix solo, you don't know what the hell is going on, or what planet your mind is currently passing on its journey to cosmic enlightenment, bitchhhh :drool:

Canadiens1160 said:
Frankly, listening to a lot of bootlegs, Page is pretty fricken' sloppy live.

And Hendrix wasn't? :lol: Hahahahaha that dude was probably stoned out of his mind 95% of the time anyway on stage.

Any guitarist for Funkadelic could do what Hendrix did, and better. Listen to Maggot Brain sometime and feel your mind split open.

angelordevil said:
The fact that Hendrix died at 27, and is still so highly regarded, speaks volumes about his talent.

He was incredibly talented, there's no doubt.

But there's also no doubt that almost every artist who dies tragically or before their time is deified to almost everyone.

John Lennon, Bob Marley, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain :barf:

There's no doubt that the first four are extremely talented as well, but it gets a little annoying you know?

LemonMelon said:

And Hendrix wasn't? :lol: Hahahahaha that dude was probably stoned out of his mind 95% of the time anyway on stage.

Any guitarist for Funkadelic could do what Hendrix did, and better. Listen to Maggot Brain sometime and feel your mind split open.
Well, we can put those Funkadelic guitarists ahead of Page too, then :lol:

LemonMacPhisto said:

He was incredibly talented, there's no doubt.

But there's also no doubt that almost every artist who dies tragically or before their time is deified to almost everyone.

John Lennon, Bob Marley, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain :barf:

There's no doubt that the first four are extremely talented as well, but it gets a little annoying you know?

No, I definitely see that :up: Hendrix burned out in a blaze of glory, while Page lived on, and had the trials and tribulations of a long career. In many ways, it's the latter road that's the most impressive...the ability to live on. Who knows what Hendrix might have accomplished? I think people are always fascinated by the 'what if?' factor...it's tantalizing.

Since I don't play, I can't comment at all about Jimi vs Jimmy, when it comes to technical ability. Just looking in from afar, it seems like Hendrix set such a standard that it still resonates today...but I don't know how you measure that against peers who are equally accomplished. Art is a hard thing to quantify.

angelordevil said:

No, I definitely see that :up: Hendrix burned out in a blaze of glory, while Page lived on, and had the trials and tribulations of a long career. In many ways, it's the latter road that's the most impressive...the ability to live on. Who knows what Hendrix might have accomplished? I think people are always fascinated by the 'what if?' factor...it's tantalizing.

You're 100% right, it's hard to gauge that "what if" scenario, the classic McCartney vs. Lennon debate comes to mind almost immediately.

But comparing subjective tastes is what makes the world go round :drool:

If I had to listen to one of them just go off on a guitar, I'd much rather listen to Hendrix. You would have no idea where he could take the guitar. It's amazing the variety of guitar players that mention him as an influence.

If I wanted to listen to one of them play actual "songs", Page was probably the greatest guitarist as musician in rocks history. When Led Zeppelin put out an album, you had no idea where he was taking them.

I think Page was the bigger influence on the genre, but Jimi was a bigger influence on individuals.

Flying FuManchu said:
I'd vote Hendrix. Hendrix also sang as well as played at the same time. I don't see how Page improvised any more or any better than Hendrix. Page's one advantage over Hendrix (outside of the macabre benefits from dying in one's prime) was that Page was able to develop his style and music over a longer period of time thus basically IMO do more than Jimi could have.

Jeff Beck rules over all guitar gods of the 60s and early 70s. :wink:

Jimi died when he was supposed to with the path he chose. I believe the last years of the 60's were owned by jimi and when they died he died with them. he was never meant to be a part of the seventies. He gave birth to the seventies, got them walking and continued on starsailing. The jesus of rock and roll/music, there was before jimi/after jimi. It's not even debatable.

I'm guessing if you asked every guitar player mentioned so far in this thread who they would choose, Jimi would win in a landslide. I'd pick Jimi because he was the blueprint and totally original.

UberBeaver said:
Page was a better song writer. Jimi was a better guitarist.

Wrong. :wink:

I think what it really comes down to in this debate is what kind of music you're into. I've never been into the whole "hard rock" thing, and Zeppelin's music has never really appealed to me all that much outside of a few (now vastly overplayed) songs. Jimi was all about psychadelia, which I'm totally into. Also, I think Jimi put a certain amount of elegance/soul into most of his music which is mostly absent in Page's stuff. Not to say that Page couldn't be soulful/elegant, but he'd never write anything like "Have You Ever Been (To Electric Ladyland)," "Voodoo Chile," or "Castles Made of Sand" (or "Little Wing," etc., etc.).

They were both very talented technical guitar players. It's really something that comes down to personal preference like Pepsi or Coke. :shrug:

Coke, by the way. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom