Official Cricket Thread Part 104 off 31

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He sent a short ball at Grant Elliott and it still sailed a noticeable margin over his head. :laugh: His bounce is bloody lethal though, it could take anyone's head off, imagine him at the WACA!

We've seen a lot of no balls and wides run away for four, but with his height and the WACA's bounce, we might see one go for six. :lol:

Nice big win! Very pleased to see Elliott and Taylor put together a solid 112-run partnership to close out the game. :up:

What is the point of England getting Australia at 4/60 at one stage if they still have to chase 279 in the end? How lousy is that.

Wonder if England can dig themselves out of a very similar hole to that Australia escaped from earlier today. I sincerely doubt it.

Second meeting in a row they've failed from a very winnable position. They posted 300+ last week and still let Australia romp to the finish.

This is dreadful cricket. Really doubt England will be any sort of threat in the World Cup - and nor will India!

I still think Australia are comfortably the 2nd best team in ODIs right now, but at the same time, I can't tell if both India and England are just passable, lacklustre teams. I'd go as far as to say that Sri Lanka have been more impressive against New Zealand than India/England have been against Australia.

Yeah, although Chameera (who debuted in the last match in Wellington) looks like quite a promising fast bowler.

I do tend to think Sri Lanka are going to be the dark horse this tournament, forget England. I say that because all 3 of Dilshan/Sanga/Jayawardene are in fine touch, and Mathews is a gun of course.

What shits me is it makes us look infallible. And we aren't.

Good, I hope Australia go in over-confident and get totally found out. :wink:

My prediction is that the semi-finalists will be New Zealand, South Africa, Australia, and one random who gets through. Australia will lose no matter who they play, bowing out at the semis for the first time ever (in the past Australia has either made the final or not got as far as the semis). South Africa will win the Cup; the "chokers" tag is there to be disproven.

Oh yeah, and West Indies are a total rabble who won't make quarters. At least one country from outside the traditional eight will reach the quarters. I hope we have another good news story like Kenya and Ireland have been in past tournaments.

England are fucked. And the problem is... the diagnosis is simple, but there is no cure. They are English. They are England. And because of that, they will continue to hold on to their status as moral arbiters, inventers and custodians of the game, but they just can't fucking play it well enough. Ever.

Ireland are a real chance to make it past the group stage I'd think. Remember how they chased down 320-something against England a few years back? Great stuff.

Really, really hoping Afghanistan have a great tournament, because it would be monumental for the game. I think their bowling attack is at least on a par with India/SL, some rate it as being even better.

Ireland a definite chance of getting through, you would expect at the expense of the West Indies, which would be sad. Afghanistan will play well in dribs and drabs, they'll play some exciting cricket, but they are far too callow to have any real impact. I don't expect they'll win a game - T20 maybe but they'll be too inconsistent over 50 overs I reckon.

Australia
New Zealand
Sri Lanka
England
-
Bangladesh
Scotland
Afghanistan

South Africa
India
Pakistan
West Indies
Zimbabwe
Ireland
UAE

is how I would *expect* it to shake out, with the semi finals being Aus/Ind and SA/NZ.

Really hope there's some surprises, would love to see the Aussies out in the semis, or even quarters, and hope NZ in particular do well, but all in all I just wanna see some good cricket.

Afghanistan should get a win over Scotland on paper, given Scotland are probably a weaker side.

I'd imagine the groups will end up looking like this:

GROUP A
Australia
New Zealand
England
Sri Lanka
Bangladesh
Afghanistan
Scotland

New Zealand being New Zealand, we will probably drop a game or two that we should win and finish third instead. England rolled over yesterday but in general I think they are stronger than Sri Lanka, who are relying too heavily on a few seasoned campaigners and have little batting depth. I'd imagine Afghanistan might be a chance to get up over Scotland - their record suggests it's likely.

GROUP B
South Africa
Pakistan
India
Ireland
West Indies
Zimbabwe
UAE

India have looked hopeless at ODIs in the tri-series. I'm honestly backing Pakistan to sneak ahead of them. This group is clearly a much weaker group than Group A. Ireland could sneak past the Windies - and it's worth noting that whoever finishes top of Group A plays B4 in the quarters, so on these predictions that means Australia vs Ireland hahaha. And I've never seen the UAE play or know much about their team at all, but I fully expect them to be smashed from pillar to post.

Though knowing my luck with predictions I'm probably hopelessly wrong, Zimbabwe will come second in B and make the semis, New Zealand won't reach the quarters, Australia will lose to Scotland, etc., etc.

Pakistan are possibly the most frustrating ODI side ever. No way they finish above India, but they'll make the four cos it's such a weak group.

India are such a rabble that even England made them look ordinary, so that's why I reckon Pakistan will jump them.

Then again, if anybody's going to lose to the UAE, it's Pakistan.

New Zealand vs Pakistan today. It's at McLean Park in Napier, which is a tiny ground, so we could be in for some fireworks.

Back
Top Bottom