Official Cricket 09/10 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, T20 may be coming into its own. I reckon tonight's win by Sri Lanka over Australia was a quality game. The Sri Lankan bowlers turned the screws all the way through and dominated the Aussie batsmen - I'm very pleased to see the bowlers try to stamp themselves on T20 after how much of a pointless bat-a-thon it originally was. And the Aussie bowlers didn't really seem to know quite what to do to defend their minimal total. Sri Lankans paced themselves perfectly, and god that six by Perera to end the game is one of the best shots I've seen in a while.

Still, thank god the next games are ODIs rather than T20s.

still, wake me when the real stuff starts.

for Dan (or anyone (but Dan in particular since he's such a big fan of SRW)) - i can't remember who wrote it, but someone said that Steve Waugh is not among the best captains we've had, because for nearly his entire tenure he had the best players in the world. what do you say to that? i think this writer ranked Ponting higher (but i could be wrong) and said that Border was the best.

I have to wonder if, in a couple of decades, we're going to be looked at as the T20 equivalent of all the people in the 1970s who couldn't accept ODIs as legit cricket. I admit, I'm starting to come around to T20 a bit, especially if it becomes more evenly balanced between batsmen and bowlers.

I have to wonder if, in a couple of decades, we're going to be looked at as the T20 equivalent of all the people in the 1970s who couldn't accept ODIs as legit cricket. I admit, I'm starting to come around to T20 a bit, especially if it becomes more evenly balanced between batsmen and bowlers.

i think there's fewer of us though... ODIs were such a huge shake up (not that T20s haven't been, but it's no real surprise they were invented). i used to love ODIs as much as i did tests, maybe even more, but the Caribbean world cup sucked every last ounce of passion i had for it away.

i think also would love T20s if they had stayed as rarer, one-off joints (it was inevitable that it would get to the level of following it has today though).

incidentally... i was reading the Herald Sun's Ashes preview yesterday, and reading the Poms' player profiles. very funny. one line was "this is the best English team South Africa has ever produced" :lol:

God, that 2007 World Cup was a complete fucking gift from ODIs to T20. Next year's World Cup better be fucking good, or I'll be very worried about the future of ODIs.

still, wake me when the real stuff starts.

for Dan (or anyone (but Dan in particular since he's such a big fan of SRW)) - i can't remember who wrote it, but someone said that Steve Waugh is not among the best captains we've had, because for nearly his entire tenure he had the best players in the world. what do you say to that? i think this writer ranked Ponting higher (but i could be wrong) and said that Border was the best.

I think that:

a) SRW made them the best team. Argueably, Ponting's team was better for the few years after he retired, yet managed to drop the ashes. Waugh inherited a very good team from Taylor. It performed better than it should. There were still holes (only 1 genuine world class quick, few batting holes).

b) Waugh was a ruthless leader. Ponting has no killer instinct. He manages to lose or draw games that he could have killed off days before. Waugh stabbed opponents to watch them bleed. In elite international sport, your leader needs to be a killer.

i think your second point is bang on the money. in the past few years, Ponting may have lost a number of highly good players, but when games have come down to the last session we've often lost or drawn due to his inability to make bowling changes, set better fields, etc

Ponting sometimes just seems to arrogantly expect to win, as if the pieces will all fall into place simply because it's the Australian team.

I can't believe he's still hanging on as the captain, really. Almost anywhere else would've given somebody else the nod a long time ago. Who the hell is propping him up?

this is an awesome one-dayer. fucking amazing 9th wicket partnership. i love it. Sri Lankans were 8/107 and they've made this look easy. crowd made up almost entirely of Sri Lankans.

Awesome comeback! :applaud:

I still don't think the Aussies give a flying about this ODI series. but still, you don't drop those games, from so far in command!

Can't believe I fucking forgot to watch the game yesterday. Sounds like a classic.

Though I did have to go out for an hour around when it appears things got really good, so maybe it was for the best I forgot. No idea how I'd have torn myself away otherwise.

i didn't even know it was on!

19,000 the attendance apparently, and an estimated three-quarters were from Melbourne's Sri Lankan community.

yeah the writers have jumped on the poor crowds but it was very poorly promoted. the only reason i heard about it was a mate text me the day before saying come cricket?

Exercise to prove the ineptitude of the Aussie selectors.

Each pick your test side, and we will use the most popular opinions to create a combined opinion side as if we were a team of selectors.

Here's mine:

1. Hughes
2. Watson
3. Katich
4. Clarke
5. Ponting
6. Haddin
7. Smith
8. Johnson
9. Harris
10. Siddle
11. Bollinger

In the wings you have:

Khawaja
Ferguson
Davis
Klinger
Paine
Starc
Hilfenhaus
Hazelwood
George
Rimmington
Hauritz
O'Keefe

Before anyone complains about the number of NSW players, can I remind you what a full strength NSW team looks like (note: no room for Shane Watson)

Jaques - 149 matches, 12836 runs at 50.73
Hughes - 44 matches, 3972 runs at 55.16
Katich - 226 matches, 18348 runs at 54.12, 95 wickets at 36.63
Clarke - 123 matches, 8577 runs at 45.14, 32 wickets at 46.78
Khawaja - 22 matches, 1731 runs at 54.09
Haddin - 123 matches, 7263 runs at 40.80
Smith - 16 matches, 1136 runs at 47.33, 29 wickets at 48.51 (though we all know that is inflated)
O'Keefe - 9 matches, 369 runs at 52.71, 33 wickets at 25.18

Then take your pick of quick bowlers (stats for the less famous guys):

Copeland - 7 matches, 45 wickets at 18.88, 24 years old
Bollinger
Lee
Clark
Cameron - 12 matches, 57 wickets at 23.07, 29 years old
Cockley - 10 matches, 30 wickets at 30.43, 24 years old
Starc - 10 matches, 25 wickets at 35.36 - 20 years old
Hazelwood - 6 matches, 17 wickets at 26.29 - 19 years old
Bracken

Well done Jesse Ryder and Kane Williamson!

both got 100's vs India in India

Nz might get a draw...better than what the Aussies got!

India 19/5 with a lead of 45...

Dont worry, when Lord Swann of Notts has the ball in his hand in Brisbane, its all change

As well as failing to write good lyrics, Chris Martin is unable to bat competently.

Back
Top Bottom