Official Cricket 09/10 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i take it all back!

_47859980_trophy466getty.jpg

Good job the South Africans were there to chase the score down!

England's first ICC trophy!

I'm more interested in how Afghanistan did, heard next to nothing about them.

i wouldn't be. he's never been good at this form of the game

Australia still don't know how to play T20. Clarke has a role in the side, but we dont utilise the role.

A team should win every game they score 180. A surefire way to give yourself a chance of getting 180 is not to open with 2 blasters. Australia really waste opportunities by opening with both Watson and Warner. They are often 1 for 0 and all of a sudden the pressure is one to up the pace. If the other slogger gets out, 2 for nothing and clarke and haddin in with it all to do.

Clarke is excellent at 4 in the ODI side. He is like Bevan. He hardly ever hits boundaries, but he is always a run a ball or ahead because he messes up the opposition by hitting singles off just about EVERY ball. There IS a role for that person in T20.

If Clarke opened in T20 he would have the role of batting the entire innings and scoring 70 off 60 balls (or 60 off 50). Obviously he wont do that every time, and you write off scores of 220 plus.

Warner and Clarke opening, Clarkes brief is to hit a single off EVERY ball, and putting away shit. Give Warner as much of the first 6 overs as possible. If Warner gets out, Haddin in at 3 to continue where Warner left off. After 6 overs and the field spreads, Clarke's job is to try and hit 2's. Find space between fielders on the fence. If he gets it wrong, he gets singles, if he gets it right, the pace stays at 10-12 an over. If Clarke bats through, it means that we can cycle through hitters: Warner, Haddin, Hussey, Watson, White, Hussey, Smith, Johnson.

From Clarke's end, 70 off 60, from the other 90-100 off 60, plus 10 for extras is 170-180 every innings.

We made the final. I think that shows we have some idea.

nyeh.

We made the final on some amazing individual contributions, but strategically, we are poor. Hussey saved the game in the semi. Smith and Nannes both won games with the ball. Yes individuals need to perform no matter how good/bad your strategy is, but they definately covered the fact that tere is work to be done

so do I.

Anyone else been looking forward to the Eng vs Ban test series?

Bangas have been getting better and better. They keep uncovering quality cricketers, and are slowly building a team that have less and less 'fill-ins' every series.

Imrul and Tamim are both solid openers, and Shakib and Mahmudullah are world class all rounders.

Shahadat nice 5fa in the first dig. England managed 505, but were seriously carried by Trott's 227. Only 1 other score over 50. As I write 0/67 in reply, Tamim on 42. People dismiss Bangladesh at their peril these days... they are a side that will win some games against big teams in the near future

Before anyone spouts that Imrul doesn't exactly have many cream buns in his column: look at his ODI career, and note that his test career is just starting to find its feet and get some traction.

i dont like all these foreigners in the England team
KP is the expception as he is world class
Straussy is alright as well

Morgan, trott, kieswetter, lumb can all get lost

The aussies will sledge them to death this winter

Morgan is a quality cricketer, and I am happy for him that he got a test debut. Still, it is criminal that England can keep stealing Irish players. f the MCC had an decency, they would revoke NZ's test status and give us vettori to start evening the keel. Then we should have our pick from the rest of south africa.

England may well be very embarrassed here. Took the easy option, which to me indicates a lack of research/respect for their opponents. Following on against a team that has the ability to score a lot of runs, and quickly, rather than batting them out of the game and knocking them over on a 5th day pitch is a cardinal sin. The way the England guys batted, with the exception of trott and strauss, I would be worried if bangladesh score 100-150 more. And they could easily do it. Junaid and Shakib in arguably their 2 best bats, and Mahmudullah next, arguably their 3rd best. Also Mushfiqar scored a test ton recently, so there are plenty of runs, and all guys capable of being comfortable going at a run a ball.

Im not saying they will win: as we saw in the first did, the thing holding bangas back from being a good team is their propensity to collapse, and their bowling isnt quite at test standard yet. They have some quality spinners, but the seamers are first class level at best. I would say though that I wouldnt be surprised if they pulled it off

fair play to them
the england attack were helped by conditions yesterday
today they looked average
eng should chase anything around 200 odd
Even a draw is poor for england

Its good for test cricket to see Bangladesh do well
They would beat the west indies and zimbabwe easily

India in Zimbabwe at moment playing some ODI's - Zimbabwe won the first :lol:

Back
Top Bottom