Official Chill-Out Music Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
I wanted to start a thread for my newfound obsession with "chillout," to share some of my findings and gather info from others...would that be all right?

In addition to my recent forays into Zero 7 and Massive Attack, I picked up Bjork's most recent CD today, Vespertine. While I was vaguely familiar with her older work, I think this CD is more of a departure and reminded me of Post-era Bjork blended with Massive Attack.

Also: does anyone know anything about a band called Supreme Beings of Leisure? I got one of their CDs in late 2000 and have never heard of them since.

Minisitry of Sound Chillout Sessions CDs are great Chillout CDs.
Also Air's album.

I got a really good compilation cd called Chilled Spirit. It has everyones favorite chill out artists and songs. That sounded like a commercial.

Enya (no laughing)

Amanda Marshall

U2 (yes ... I think I find their music relaxing because it is so familiar to me)

Ella Fitzgerald

Josh Groban

Craig Armstrong

Minisitry of Sound Chillout Sessions CDs are great Chillout CDs.
:yes:
I really like the one I have - I think it has some Badly Drawn Boy, Sigur Ros, Radiohead, a song by "a man called adam" ;), in addition to the groups you mentioned.

-Air

-Elliot Smith has the most relaxing soothing voice in the music industry today. And you can take that to the bank.
download Miss Misery please. Or Between The Bars

some more

I love chillout/electronica music. :)

You have to get SiS?, Putumayo's World Lounge cd and Paris Lounge by Day/Night.

Great list angel!!
ESPECIALLY Portishead!!!

How did I forget them?!?!

*crosses fingers for a new album soon*

SiSe...a friend of mine had her CD. Isn't she Brazilian or something? I know not all of the songs on the CD were in English.

jkayet said:

:yes:
I really like the one I have - I think it has some Badly Drawn Boy, Sigur Ros, Radiohead, a song by "a man called adam" ;), in addition to the groups you mentioned.

I am actually listening to Badly drawn boys about a boy sound soundtrack right now. It is very chill. really cool

Chillout

paxetaurora said:
SiSe...a friend of mine had her CD. Isn't she Brazilian or something? I know not all of the songs on the CD were in English.

Carol C, the lead singer is from the Dominican Republic and part Arab. The band is from NYC, but the members are quite diverse. I think one of the viola players is from England. I love "Dolemite". ;)

[color=royal blue]The Cure
Counting Crows (O I love 'em for anything)
Jeff Buckley
David Gray
Elton John :) mwaahaah I love him
Jackon Browne
Morrissey / Smiths
Nick Cave
[/color]

Frank Sinatra (about everything)
Chet Baker (about everything)
The Orb (Orbvs Terrarvm)
Boards of Canada (Music has the right to children)
Aphex Twin (Selected Ambient Vol. 2)
Air (Moon Safari)

Lamb, Mandalay, Morcheeba, Vangelis, Groove Armada

Oh, and the Back To Mine Cd Series is really good.. it's a series where each Cd is an artists mix of their favourite usually chilling songs.

I'll second Salome's choices of BOC and Aphex Twin. I'd also add

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Belle & Sebastian - The Boy with the Arab Strap
Brian Eno - Another Green World
Bob Marley - Legend

My top 5 reccomendations.....

NICK DRAKE -Way to Blue
- Excellent for Sleeping, Late night chats, or homework.

David Gray -WHite Ladder
- Relaxing While Uplifiting while ALSO very emotional.

Chris Issac -Forever Blue
-What did this guy GO through??? Great for a good cry, a good destinationless drive, or an afternoon of sunbathing in the back yard!

BJORK Vespertine-
Agreeing with thread starter...A beautiful, poetic, and powerful album. I traveled many miles and waited many years to see her live(being my fave second to U2) and she is AMAZING.

And for the few of you who don't already have it...I HIGHLY reccommend checking out
U2 Passengers (original soundtracks)
I'm not sure if a better "Chill out" CD has ever been created. You MUST get it now!!!! Check your local Used CD shops for this one as it's a little hard to find. feel free to PM me if you're having diffuculties tracking this one down.

*this has been an edition of Tiffany's music review corner* JK

Anyways, thanks for this thread!! I have many new things to look for now! I hope some of my faves are enjoyable for you too!(he he)

GREAT call on Nick Drake and David Gray!!!

go get these for sure!

With K&D, Morcheeba, Massive Attack and Lamb being mentioned, I?d hardly suggest Saint Etienne.
Tricky might not exactly be chillout...
you might also try Hedfunk, or as well anything appearing on Ninja Tune...

Back
Top Bottom