Offical English Footy Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aardvark747

Blue Crack Addict
I couldnt find any thread for this at all, so someone will probably dig one out now.
But if not, then this thread can be used by fans of the English Premier League and all other divisions, to dicuss their happiness for their team, or rant at the manager (Sven) if he is ballsing the side up!

There's lots of NFL chat on here...so lets see if there's any fans of the English national sport to match em'!

I will just begin by congratulating my team (UTD) in their qualification last night for the 2nd round of the European Cup.

They didnt play brilliantly well, but they probably should've won 2-0, rather than conceed the clumsy goal they did. Just a bit of bad luck for Roy though, he's done well since filling in for Tim Howard.

One plus for us I thought, was the fantastic performence of Keane after a few so-so appearences. Man of the Match for me.
Rooney and Van Nistelrooy linked together well a couple of times too.

(Hang on...im turning this into a full blow-by-blow review!:wink:
I'll shutup now!)

Good luck to Arsenal tonight. Let's hope ALL fans keep respectful.

Well done to Arsenal last night, for hanging on in the last 10 minutes against PSV. 11v9...it didnt really look good for em'!
I must say, I think they were unlucky with the 2nd sending off..the ref did seem a little too 'card happy'.
But a 1-1 result certainly wasnt the worse that could've happened, but it does mean they've got to win their next game now..

On the subject of Harry Redknapp leaving Portsmouth, all I can say is "You could see it coming".
The chairman Mandaric, single-handidly forced him out of the club, after making it clear that Redknapp was not gonna be in sole charge of the club, as he is bringing in (football legend?!) Velimir Zajec. Whose knowledge of the game is on a par with my own knowledge on fishing in the outer Hebrides:eyebrow:

Nevermind, Harry will be welcomed by Wolves or whoever his next club will be, with open arms. Good man imo.

I'm keen on the idea of Hoddle at Portsmouth and Rednapp at Southampton once the enivitable happens. The entire south coast would really have their knickers in a twist. Although for the purposes of comedy we need to find Strachan a job and soon.

AH! There's someone else out there then!

I think Hoddle is just desperate to get back out there...not sure that the Pompey fans would welcome him tho:eyebrow:

And yeah, you're right, Gordon does need to be back in the saddle soon, his post-match interviews (particularly after a defeat) can be humorous to say the least!

As for the Saints, I think that Harry wouldn't wanna go there, as he'll basically be right back in the position he was in for the last few weeks at Portsmouth - with an awful chairman peering over his shoulder the whole time, lending his 'advice' and no-doubt eventually, opting for the bringing-in of a director of football(?) to help the clubs progress!
Nah...he should take up Wolves' offer imo, and with him, and Jim Smith in tandem, they should have no problem in jumping back up to the top flight.

The other big news right now, is of Sven (at last) having talks with Beckham about his lacklustre displays for England, and Madrid. Tjis is long overdue imo. Sven always wants to stand by his skipper, which is fine and all that, but when an incident like what we had a few weeks ago arises (Beckham getting himself sent off ON PURPOSE) that's the time when he should've been having his talk.
Imo, having the captains armband for his country is becoming too much of a responsibility for Becks, as he hasnt performed, anywhere like we know he can, since he's had it.
And getting yourself sent off on purpose, is certainly not the sort of example a Captain should be setting to his team-mates.
I think Gary Neville, or even Rio Ferdinand would be much more worthy Captains. Able to dictate from the back, all the way up the pitch, letting Beckham do what he does best in the game. After all, he, realistically, only has 3-4 years in the top-flight left, and he DOES want to win something with England.
So let's hope these 'crisis talks' work out for the best then.

Last bit of news, Chelsea are planning a £15million new year bid for Tottenham's Jemaine Defoe.
That'll be another addition to their Multi-million pound subs bench then!:wink:

man utd :madspit: shrek and donkey :barf:

i was so glad to see arse draw with PSV. lost both lauren and viera to reds and i heard that henry got injured in the game too.

and if chelsea do buy defoe he will probably start with drogba and guddy and kez if he is still arourd :sigh: will be on the bench.

JT FOR ENGLAND CAPTAIN!!!!!

GO CHELSEA!!!!!!! :applaud:

Last edited:
Hi Sweet Tart!!:wave:

Excellent!! A Chelsea fan! So now we know there are supporters of the 3 top clubs in England on the board. That should make things interesting in the up-coming months!:wink:

I'd totally forgotten about Terry as possible England Captain...for that, I humbly apologise! He would do a good job....but will he be starting many games, what with Campbell and Rio ahead of him?
Id actually enjoy seeing the Rio/Terry partnership at the back from now on..Campbell seems a little injury prone!
Mind you, Rio has his...forgetfull moments doesnt he?! :eyebrow: :wink:

I still think Arsenal will go through..I think it's Rosenborg at Highbury for them next, I cant see them losing that one. If they do, they'll have to hope results go their way elsewhere.

It'll be interesting to see how they can do on Sunday at Anfield...Liverpool are struggling attacking-wise, but without Henry/Persie and Reyes, they'll know they have a chance at home.
Chelsea will ease past Charlton tommorow, and we (UTD) should be able to overcome WBA, and continue our winning run in the league...3 GAMES!!
:wink:

Got harassed by Aardvark to pay a visit so here i am.Not really a footie fan hence i follow the sky blue army:madspit:
We're getting a brand new stadium next year and,unlike Leicester(spits on the floor in disgust) its gonna be payed for.Problem is i can't see us filling it-32,000-got Bob Hope!
Play up sky blues!!!!!!!
ATB-LEE-U2COVENTRYENGLANDUK

hi Aardvark747 :wave:

JT would make an excellent captain but unfortunately as long as sven is around rio and sol wil be starting every game barring injury. he seems to play favorites so much. if it wasn't for all the goals lamps scored in the last year i doubt he would be in the starting XI. campbell is getting old and rio while he is a really good defender i think he is a bit overrated and is always getting first team action cause sven loves man utd. he deifnately shouldn't have been put back in he starting XI after his ban. that's was so unfair to both JT and king as they did a really good job in this absence. i know i must sound biased toward terry but you'd think being the captain of the first place team in the EPL and part of one of the meanest backlines in europe would warrant him a place in englands starting XI. but i was glad to see bridge in there even though i prefer him playing left back as opppose to left midfield.

i think arse will beat liverpool even without henry/reyes cause even with gerrard back in the line up they are still pretty shaky. as for rosenberg....i think it'll be a tie ....maybe a win if henry plays but they will stil have viera and lauren out for that game.

oh..and mourinho denounced defoe is coming to us in jan and he is happy with is strike force.

Last edited:
Re the England Captain debate I think there a lot of people in front of Beckham most notably of all Steven Gerrard and then I think we look towards JT. Sol Campbell will never be a club captain but he did a good job as Spurs captain and being one of the more intelligent footballers I think he would be an excellent England captain.
Rio Ferdiand's interesting because I think Ferguson's trying to mould him into his violent, moaning lunatic on the pitch to replace Roy Keane so is that really what we'd want in an England Captain. The other thing is he makes David Beckham look like an intellectual.

tarquinsuperb said:

Rio Ferdiand's interesting because I think Ferguson's trying to mould him into his violent, moaning lunatic on the pitch to replace Roy Keane so is that really what we'd want in an England Captain. The other thing is he makes David Beckham look like an intellectual.
:lmao:

I'm nervous about tomorrow's match against Arsenal... Hopefully all will be good. COME ON, LIVERPOOL!

yay atlast some consistency in uniteds performance..watch out chelsea..bytheway arsenal's already lost it

Hull City fan here!!
Any other supporters from league one? The only supporters i can see here from outside the Premierhsip are boystupidboy (coventry?? unlucky, mate!!) and alexvilagosh (Ipswich. need i say more?)

Can't begrudge Liverpool the win today, but my are these worrying times at Highbury. Arsene's really going to have to earn his salary, what with must wins vs. Rosenborg and Che£$ki coming up.

Hull City Fan - :wave:

Well well....what a weekend for Arsenal then! Chelsea and UTD winning, quite convincingly too, and then slipping up at Anfield!

Nah, im not gloating actually - we lost to Portsmouth:reject:
And they were quite unlucky to lose out at that stage of the game.
They SHOULD be able to pick themselves up for the game against Birmingham, at Highbury. Then they have the derby clash with Chelsea...without Vieira though.

This a great opportunity for UTD to come through now and get a good few wins together. Next games for us are SAINTS - FULHAM - C.PALACE, so points cant be dropped there...else even I will have to agree with all the pundits that the title is out of reach.:(

Harry Redknapp and Jim Smith could be on their merry way to Southampton. I think he's the right man for the job there, let's just hope the moron of a chairman there realises that too, and not sack him after 2 defeats on the trot!:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom