Offical English Footy Discussion Thread - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2005, 02:22 AM   #466
Refugee

Local Time: 06:08 AM
Football is passionate!!

Old 02-17-2005, 02:26 AM   #467
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:08 PM
I don't think Arsenal should have any responsibility in bringing in players to represent the national team at all. Their only aim is to win championships, and if they do this with non-English players, then so be it.

Old 02-17-2005, 02:38 AM   #468
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:08 AM
I agree with you Yertle, although if I as an Englishman, supported them, I wouldnt like to be watching a complete foreign team each week. It's always nice to watch the home grown talent develop (and then leave - unless they play for UTD!)
Old 02-17-2005, 03:28 AM   #469
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by yertle-the-turtle
I don't think Arsenal should have any responsibility in bringing in players to represent the national team at all. Their only aim is to win championships, and if they do this with non-English players, then so be it.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:37 AM   #470
Blue Crack Addict

Roy Keane wants players to wear 'PLAYERS-AGAINST-DIVING' armbands!!

First in the queue, step up Wayne and Ruud...
Old 02-17-2005, 03:39 AM   #471
Refugee

From an Arsenal fan site, in response to Gordon Taylors opinion that Arsenal do not produce young players...

When the world's most overpaid union official opened his gob to criticise Arsenal over their lack of English players I can only presume he did so with the full knowledge that many of his members owe a great deal to Arsenal Football Club.

Taylor doing what he does best - Freeloading

The Gunners may not currently be over-endowed with English nationals but that hasn’t stopped the Club pursuing a vigorous policy of developing youngsters and I reckon the Club are well ahead of the game in this respect.

To start with the Arsenal can almost certainly boast one of the best under 21 squads in the world. To support this claim I offer you in no particular order the following fifteen players who have now all had first team experience: Philippe Senderos, Gael Clichy, Mathieu Flamini, Cesc Fabregas, Jose Reyes, Robin Van Persie, Daniel Karbassiyoon, Justin Hoyte, David Bentley, Sebastian Larsson, Patrick Cregg, Johan Djourou, Ryan Smith, Quincy Owusu-Abeyie and Arturo Lupoli. You might well argue that this is all well and good but the League Cup counts for absolutely nothing. A fair point, so I’ll also advise you that nine of these youngsters have already appeared in the Premiership or the Champions League.

Also of course, thanks to our youth policy, we still have Jeremie Aliadiere and Ashley Cole, neither of whom are exactly over the hill. Additionally, still on the books are; Craig Holloway who is on loan to Southend; Sebastian Svard on loan to Brondby and Graham Stack on loan to Millwall. While Stuart Taylor is back at Arsenal again after a loan spell with Leicester.

Elsewhere a brief scan around the Premiership throws up a number of ex-Gunners who were in Arsenal’s youth teams not too long ago. There is Jay Bothroyd currently on loan at Blackburn from Pergia. Jermaine Pennant who will probably never return from Birmingham. Moritz Volz at Fulham, Julian Gray at Birmingham, Jerome Thomas at Charlton, Tommy Black at Crystal Palace and Matthew Upson at Birmingham all spring to mind. Then of course there’s Rohan Ricketts plying his trade with Tottenham’s stiffs while a more celebrated old boy, Ray Parlour, is still going strong.

Recently another 'old boy' Ade Akinbiyi was seen at Highbury in our Cup tie against Stoke along with fellow ex-Gunner John Halls, but these two players are not unique. The rest of the Leagues have also benefited either at home or abroad from Arsenal’s youth policy. Other recent Arsenal not-so-old boys include Nicholas Anelka whose club of the week is Fenerbahce. David Livermore has been a Millwall regular for a while now and has already played in a Cup Final. Leon Britton is at Swansea; Graham Barrett at Coventry and Steven Sidwell is doing very well at Reading. Liam Chilvers – Northampton, Alex Bailey – Chesterfield, Adam Birchall – Wycombe, Jermaine Brown – was at Colchester, Michael Black – was last seen at Southend, Ben Chorley – Milton Keynes, Lee Canoville was at Torquay, Peter Clark – Stockport County, Jason Crowe – Grimsby and Lee Doherty was at Brighton.

The list doesn’t end there though, Keith Fahey was last seen at Aston Villa, Jordan Fowler is on loan to Chesterfield I think. Stephen Hughes cost Everton getting on for £3,000,000 before going on to Watford, Charlton and now Coventry(?) Richard Hughes was at one time at Grimsby. James Harper is doing well at Reading. Juan was on a loan spell to Millwall but I’ve no idea where he is now. Greg Lincoln was last seen at Northampton. Isaiah Rankin is currently at Brentford but has done the rounds at Birmingham, Bradford, Bolton, Barnsley and Grimsby. Nicky Nicolau is I believe still with Southend, while Brian McGovern went to Ipswich and was last seen at Peterborough.

I don’t know who Jehad Muntasser plays for, but I do know he became a full Libyan International. Also overseas; Guillaume Norbert went to French 1st division side Lorient and Stathis Tavlaridis also went to a French 1st. Division team. Although Omar Riza was sold to West Ham I believe he is now with Denizlispor. While north of the boarder Dean Shiels is at Hibernian and Stephen Bradley is at Dumfermline.

Further down the food chain Allan McLeod was at Grays, Bernard Narada is now with Farnborough. Greg Oates was at one time with Margate. David Noble, after a move to West Ham finished up at Boston United. Jamie Day is at Crawley and Andrew Douglas was at Grays.

To keep this accurate I’ve attempted to include only those players who were with us in the Wenger era. I don’t believe this list is comprehensive by any stretch of the imagination and things change quickly in football so it’s probably far from being 100%. However I think you’ll agree that if a joker like Gordon Taylor chooses to decry Arsenal for the low number of first team players who’ve come through the ranks he just isn’t living in the real world and doesn’t appreciate Arsenal’s contribution to developing young footballers. Very few youngsters who join any professional football club go on to make a living from the game, but as you can clearly see quite a few of those who learn their trade at Arsenal do now make a living from football.

I could of course go on to slag the PFA Chief Executive off for being just a tad on the racist side at a time when the beautiful game is doing it’s best to encompass and encourage all creeds, nationalities and races, but that, along with UEFA’s ridiculous proposals are another story all together.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:44 AM   #472
Blue Crack Addict

That's a very good response

I'd forgotten about their all the youngsters they have on loan too.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:45 AM   #473
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark747

At this stage every player is going to have about 5 wrist bands on each arm...
Old 02-17-2005, 03:49 AM   #474
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Party Boy

At this stage every player is going to have about 5 wrist bands on each arm...

And if they all agree with Bono's cause, that's another white one to add!
Old 02-17-2005, 07:44 AM   #475
Refugee

Local Time: 01:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark747

Old 02-17-2005, 08:38 AM   #476
Refugee

How about a wrist band called "Players against intimidating referees" or another wrist band called "Players against purposely injuring opposition players"

Mr Keane, as a fellow Irish man, you talk a lot of crap. Then again, he is from Cork.............
Old 02-17-2005, 05:08 PM   #477
War Child

Sorry just going to say one last thing about the Arsenal thing. I really hope that I didn't come across as some little Englander (I feel that I should be especially careful when I say I'm a Chelsea fan), or some sort of Arsenal loathing obsessive, I'm neither. I think Arsenal have got problems and from what one of my closest friends who is a massive fan tells me they don't treat their supporters terribly well.

I just believe that a football club is part of a local community and has a responsibilty to that local community. Part of that should be the supporters identifying with the players. I think it is a real shame that English players are being marginalised when we are clearly the most football obsessed nation on earth. We see that from our following of the national team abroad and the fact that our lower league attendences outstrip by miles anybody else's in Europe. I don't think we have a problem getting our kids interested in football.

I believe that something is getting lost and Arsenal's line-up this week highlighted that. No one's house is perfect but I believe that Arsenal given their position are currently the most guilty party.

I also believe that a football club shouldn't operate just for the benefit of the suit and ties and be purely for the pursuit of profit. I don't expect them to loose vast sums of money but there is a happier medium which I don't think is being reached. I also think that with their current policies we are taking short-term gain over a huge long-term loss. Community links are important in football for years it has represented a working class escape and I don't believe the community links should be lost without a fight.

The only other thing I would be interested in Party Boy is that I notice your Irish and I know that traditionally Arsenal has had fairly strong links with Ireland. Do you believe that they exist today and if they don't does it matter? I would also be interested to know whether you think the fact that one of the Republic's star players, one Robbie Keane ended up starting his career below the top division reveals another side of this story.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:16 PM   #478
War Child

Is Roy Keane just trying to undermine Gary Neville's excellent point.

(I can't believe I have written something positive about Gary Neville's character.)
Old 02-18-2005, 02:00 AM   #479
Blue Crack Addict

Gary Neville = The voice of the people

Old 02-18-2005, 03:27 AM   #480
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by tarquinsuperb

I
The only other thing I would be interested in Party Boy is that I notice your Irish and I know that traditionally Arsenal has had fairly strong links with Ireland. Do you believe that they exist today and if they don't does it matter? I would also be interested to know whether you think the fact that one of the Republic's star players, one Robbie Keane ended up starting his career below the top division reveals another side of this story.
I've been an Arsenal fan for over 20 years now and I remember the dark days before Wenger took over the club. In the early/mid 90's, attendances at highbury were around 25k. Games were never sold out. We had a team predominantly made up of English players - good players at that - yet from 92 till Wenger took over, we were absolute shite. Playing crap football, hardly scoring, hardly conceding etc. We were terrible. Not many fans would bo back to those days now! I think your point about fans having an association with locally bred players is slightly mute - mainly because if you take Man U as an example, most of their fans are from outside manchester. So where is the association with a Manchester born lad?

I'll make this point - I would love if Arsenal team was made up of locally born players who came up through the ranks - if they are good enough. If they are not good enough then I would much prefer the foreign players. The whole point is that if they are good enough, they will play - Ashley cole is a good example of this - he replaced the hugely popular Silvinho. The problem is, in Arsenals case, the young players we have produced are not as good as what is in the first team. But then again, how do you produce players who are better than Pires, Henry, Reyes, Ljungberg, Edu, Gilberto, Bergkamp etc. These players in most cases are at the top of their profession! Very rare you will produce a home grown player to take these players place!