Offical English Footy Discussion Thread - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive

Old 11-29-2004, 01:45 AM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by arsenalfan
Can't begrudge Liverpool the win today, but my are these worrying times at Highbury. Arsene's really going to have to earn his salary, what with must wins vs. Rosenborg and Che£$ki coming up.
Agree with you there son. Having the final C.L group game as a must-win situation, isnt what anyone expected I dont think. I wonder why it is that they cant seem (yet) to dominate the European ties like the Prem?
They have the players - give or take a couple (Cygan/Lehmann)

I reckon they'll still make it through - and then knowing our luck, be drawn against UTD in the next round!

Anyway, for now - BRING ON WEDNESDAY for the Carling Cup clash at Old Trafford, and let's see what all the kids can do!!

Old 11-29-2004, 03:54 AM   #32
War Child

Of course, its only a matter of time before we see Hull City in the Premiership.

Most rugby people from Hull are Hull FC fans, as they are the bigger of the two rugby teams in our city, although i think Hull KR still have quite a stout following aswell.

Old 11-29-2004, 03:57 AM   #33
Refugee

Local Time: 06:19 AM
Stout?thought that was what you northerners drink
Old 11-29-2004, 05:33 AM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Princey
Of course, its only a matter of time before we see Hull City in the Premiership.

Most rugby people from Hull are Hull FC fans, as they are the bigger of the two rugby teams in our city, although i think Hull KR still have quite a stout following aswell.
Good result against Brentford at the weekend, and you're doing well in League 1...long way to go, but you should make the play-offs no problem.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:32 AM   #35
The Fly

Local Time: 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark747

Agree with you there son. Having the final C.L group game as a must-win situation, isnt what anyone expected I dont think. I wonder why it is that they cant seem (yet) to dominate the European ties like the Prem?
They have the players - give or take a couple (Cygan/Lehmann)

I reckon they'll still make it through - and then knowing our luck, be drawn against UTD in the next round!

Anyway, for now - BRING ON WEDNESDAY for the Carling Cup clash at Old Trafford, and let's see what all the kids can do!!
Wednesday should be interesting. The Arsenal kids have being doing alright I must say. Much better than the first team in fact!

As for the CL, no Arsenal fan I know can get their head around what exactly the problem is.

One thing I have found is that teams are starting to figure out how to shut down Thierry Henry. He's going to have to come up with some new magic to keep his scoring pace up.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:07 AM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Totally agree arsenalfan.
Van the Man seems to lovin the CL...scoring all over the place. But only 4 in the league so far this season (only ONE of them from open play).

I think that Arsenal will probably get the better of us in the Carling Cup - some of those kids look fuckin amazin!
Old 11-29-2004, 09:06 AM   #37
Refugee

Local Time: 03:19 PM
YAY CHELSEA!!!!!! 4-0

JT IS AMAZING!!! 2 goals for our captain sol and rio better be watching their backs cause they may end up on the bench for the game against holland.

was so surpised and extremely happy when liverpool won in the dying seconds of the game. it put a smile on my face first thing this morning.

actually watched the man utd game on saturday cause my stupid sports channel here again didn't play the chelsea game. scholes was excellent. i have to give credit where credit is due...even though i hate to give any manure player anything.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:36 AM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Sweet Tart - Cheers for the Praise!

Just wanted to make a quick comment on El-Hadji Diouf and his baltent spitting incident. This guy has done it before, to fans aswell as players - he's not even a very good player to be fair, so with the new F.A Chief Exec. in place this week - his first task should be the kicking-out of this lout.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:41 AM   #39
War Child

El-Hadji Diouf...I can't get over the fact Liverpool actually paid £10M for his services just a few seasons ago...
Old 11-29-2004, 10:47 AM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

I know - what has he actually done, for ANY team?!
Old 11-30-2004, 03:57 AM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Morning all!

So Freddy Shephard of Newcastle reckons that UTD lost out big time with their sale of Becks last year then?
"They're like a ship without a sail" apparently.

Just remind me where we are in the league, compared to the Magpies?

Beckham, as we know, was sold mainly due to his falling out with Sir Alex, and inability to work with him anymore.
But I wouldnt say that we have lost out AT ALL with the sale of Beckham. His form since he left to sunnier pastures, has hardly been 100% now has it. Or even 65%!
His long-term replacement - Cristiano Ronaldo had a slow start last season, playing a relativly small number of games as he tried to settle in - ending with a Man of the Match performence, in the total domination of Millwall in the F.A Cup final.
And he has continued this season, with some starring displays, and I for one, would take a possible 10-15yr career at UTD from Ronaldo, over a fading, burnt-out 3-4yr Beckham.

He was never as good as people made out anyway. Jimmy Hill has always been right about that(!)
He's someone who made a huge fortune from being a Marketable product, married to a member of one of the most succesful girl groups of all time (god alone knows how, but still) and playing for, arguably, the most famous team in the world.
And in return for that, all he had to do was to score a few free-kicks every now and then.

He left UTD just at the right time....for UTD that is.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:58 AM   #42
War Child

Local Time: 08:19 PM
I don't get this Beckham bashing from United, I am not a big fan, the man is an arsehole and it is a discrace that anyone would even consider him worthy of being England Captain; however the fact remains that the greatest moment of Sir Alex's career came because of the right foot of David Beckham, he was the only reason they won in 1999 they were dead and buried before those corners.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:11 AM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by tarquinsuperb
I don't get this Beckham bashing from United, I am not a big fan, the man is an arsehole and it is a discrace that anyone would even consider him worthy of being England Captain; however the fact remains that the greatest moment of Sir Alex's career came because of the right foot of David Beckham, he was the only reason they won in 1999 they were dead and buried before those corners.
I can take your point....I just prefer to think of Teddy and Ole scoring them!

Ah...the memories.........
Old 11-30-2004, 09:10 AM   #44
Refugee

Local Time: 03:19 PM
i don't get why there is all this fuss over c. ronaldo. i know he's only young and will most probably come good in the next few years but so far i have been less than impressed by him this season. he seems to try to be too fancy, do too much and ends up losing the ball, falling over himself or the closest defender or shooting it well wide of the goal.

i can definately see the potential but he's just not there yet for me.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:23 AM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

I just hope Ronaldo starts to practice his Corners and Free-Kicks in training - cos he's piss-poor at that right now!!

Chelsea through to the C.Cup semi's, as are Watford!! Poor old Pompey
Bring on the Battle Of The Buffet 2 tonight!! Nah just kidding. I can see Arsenals kids pissing all over UTD's...they're far more talented