Oct. 23 Song of the Day- True Love Waits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
This song is really depressing, but just gorgeous. A friend of mine listened to it a lot around the time his girlfriend left him. It actually helped him get better, even after he tried to kill himself. (I did NOT recommend this song. In fact I took away some of his CDs for a while after the incident.) But good or ill, I have strong memories attached to this song. I think the real quality of the lyrics lies in the imagery. "Lollipops and crisps," "tiny hands," etc. There are some of the more obvious things we associate with romance and longing, but also some of the little details that make things feel real and not just a sort of rhetorical study. Anyway, depressing as all-get-out (what does that phrase mean?), today's song of the day is Radiohead's "True Love Waits"

True Love Waits
Radiohead

I'll drown my beliefs
To have you be in peace
I'll dress like your niece
To wash your swollen feet

Just don't leave
Don't leave

I'm not living
I'm just killing time
Your tiny hands
Your crazy kitten smile

Just don't leave
Don't leave

And true love waits
In haunted attics
And true love lives
On lollipops and crisps

Just don't leave
Don't leave

Just don't leave
Don't leave

This is my all time favorite Radiohead song. It's flawless, emotional, understated, timeless, and rediculously beautiful.

It sure is great.
Again, one of those gems that a band/artists creates but that often never get heard out of fan circles. Has this one been properly recorded and released yet? I only have it on the I Might Be Wrong live record.

Popmartijn said:
It sure is great.
Again, one of those gems that a band/artists creates but that often never get heard out of fan circles.

Very good assessment.

Great song :up:

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I prefer the song done by Thom solo (as it appears on I Might Be Wrong). I know the cool thing to do is to prefer its original performance, featuring Jonny Greenwood playing Atari 2600 or whatever the fuck that is, but this is a song that benefits from a stark arrangement (which is part of the reason why a studio version would likely disappoint).

Beautiful song, in any case. Has a very lonely feel.

yeah, typhoon is right. in the first performance of this song, jonny used something to back thom up, some sort of synth or something i dunno.

the song is very good.

typhoon said:
I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I prefer the song done by Thom solo (as it appears on I Might Be Wrong).

I agree. Although in general I guess I could take it or leave it, but I do prefer this version. Maybe I should give it another try since you all like it so much.

Zoomerang96 said:
yeah, typhoon is right. in the first performance of this song, jonny used something to back thom up, some sort of synth or something i dunno.

the song is very good.

Slickies, please point me to this version.

I will be happy and my ears will thank you.

Back
Top Bottom