Obscenely depressing albums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UnforgettableLemon said:
What's the back story behind Maria, anyway. She has to be (or have been) a real person in Adam's life to be mentioned so frequently (and in such depressing contexts).

Well, I decided to listen to this album since it's been mentioned a few times in this thread. I noticed that on the cover it mentions Maria again (in addition to Round Here and Mr. Jones; I only have their first two albums, there may be other mentions I don't know). I've always wondered about the cover--I always figured it was the lyrics to a song called 'August and Everything After' that never materialized but became the album title. Anyway, I'm sure someone over at the Counting Crows equivalent of interference could answer all these questions. :wink:

So to sum up:

I have no clue who Maria is.
I have no clue whatever became of the song 'August and Everything After.'
This album is still depressing after all these years.

You should really pick up the other two, I think they're better than Recovering the Satellites. At least pick up the GH and Hard Candy

alexvilagosh said:

Songs...
Radiohead - Exit Music
Radiohead - How To Disappear Completely
Radiohead - Motion Picture Soundtrack

Radiohead aren't really depressing, only a handful of songs are, I think the best word to describe them is 'haunting'. Climbing Up The Walls... *shiver*

Climbing Up the Walls - best Radiohead song ever! Don't you just love when that guitar comes in and then the orchestra explodes. Beautiful, haunting, scary, everything in one.

Anyway, Faith by The Cure is the most depressing thing I ever heard.

I'm so glad you guys brought up August and Everything After. Definitely one of the more important and poignant albums of my life. "Sullivan Street" :sad:

This thread rocks! Depressing music - is there anything better?!? I think some of these have been mentioned, but they are great great songs:

Elliot Smith - Between the Bars, Miss Misery
Lucinda Williams - Blue
Aimee Mann - Save Me
Mazzy Star - Fade into You
NIN - Hurt
Pete Yorn - Lose You
Sheryl Crow - Home

Even the piano version of Yellow by Coldplay is made depressing by how he sings it.

boystupidboy said:
As several other people have mentioned,the Smiths.Girlfriend in a coma-the title says it all really:ohmy:
I don't see The Smiths as a sad band at all. Morrisey's lyrics are often quite hilarious to me as well as being beautifully sad. For a truly depressing album, try Nebraska by Springsteen...:sad:

I dont think it's been mentioned... But "Dirt" by Alice in Chains. If that CD doesnt bum you out I dont know what will. "Rain When I Die" or "Down in a Hole" is enough to do it for me.

Back
Top Bottom