Obligatory Radiohead Thread #1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kieran McConville

ONE love, blood, life
Ok, Calluna will have my guts for garters if I don't contribute something (and rightly so), so here are a few thoughts for the day:

Amnesiac seems to get a bit of bad press, possibly more so than Kid A. However, I think it contains some of Radiohead's most gorgeous music to date. In fact I will go out on a limb and say that Pyramid Song and You & Whose Army may be their most hair-raising endeavours ever. Any thoughts?

And the future, what of that? I think they will surprise many people. I think they will circle back to a band approach, but that it will not sound like a 'return' to anything, least of all the Bends. The Bends was very very fine, but it was also basically mid-90s angst rock with the volume turned up to ten.

Amnesiac is #5 on my list right now. I dont know why.

I know the Bends will not return but I can be dillusional cant I?
tongue.gif

I wonder what it would be like if Radiohead made happy music.

Radiohead do make happy music. Though if you mean 'happy' in the sense of cheerful, since when have they ever been that?

Anyway, what's to be happy about?

Yay, Another Amnesiac fan! I'm really not alone!

Well, Kieran. Good work and I have to say that I agree with you wholeheartedly on this particular topic. At the risk of repeating myself, there are many songs on Amnesiac that I cannot live without. You already mentioned Pyramid Song and You and Whose Army but also, Like Spinning Plates, Dollars and Cents, I Might be Wrong, Knives Out, these are all very strong songs in my opinion. I am not really sure why the album has gotten such a bad rap but I equate it to the situation when U2 came out with Achtung Baby and alienated a segment of their fans in the process because those fans could not relate to their new sound. But then that is not quite right either because OK Computer or Kid A would probably have been Radiohead's Achtung Baby. Maybe Amnesiac is their Zooropa??

And as for the future, we covered alot of that territory in Wanderer's thread already. The Bends was a great and there are alot of songs I love from that album too but I don't want them to repeat themselves and I do like the direction they are headed. I don't know, I just relate to the newer music more but the thing I like most of all is their live material. I feel the same way about U2. I love to listen to the songs live, they take on a whole new dimension. Since yesterday, I have been downloading the Oxford show from Sicy's ftp site and I am really enjoying it. It is interesting to hear the live versions of some of the older songs. I love the live version of Airbag and My Iron Lung but I only have half of the concert downloaded so far so I will have to get back to you on that one. Did that make any sense or am I just rambling???

------------------
We plants are happy plants.

I just said I wonder what it would be like.

I didnt say there was anything to be happy about.

Amnesiac is stellar, "dollars & cents" and "knives out" are as good as it gets, I admit I was a bit indifferent to this album when I was first introduced to it (last spring when i downloaded several of the songs from the internet that were either live versions or demos), so I have known these songs for almost a year now, and honestly Amnesiac has surpassed Kid A for me, even though I think the latter was more difficult to make, I simply enjoy listening to Amnesiac the most of any radiohead albums right now, and I had always considered OK Computer their best (and still do), anyway, what I am saying is that Amnesiac is far better than people are giving it credit for

and the live version of "like spinning plates" is so gorgeous and haunting, i defy anyone to tell me otherwise, same with the previously unreleased "true love waits"

Calluna: Yeah, I've since become aware of the other 'next album' thread, and of course I should have posted my thoughts there. Oversight on my part.

Sicy: I was referring to the music, and it was not an attack on you. I guess I meant 'what's to be happy about?' in the sense that to me at least, Radiohead's music is about the, er, emotional current of society at large. And in that sense, I mean it: what is there to be happy about, musically and artistically, when you tackle the themes that Radiohead do?

Good point there: maybe Amnesiac is their Zooropa (which imo alienated a lot more people than Achtung Baby, which was, like OK Computer, basically the work of a shit-hot rock band with some interesting production work thrown in).

If so, it should be considered of a pair with Kid A. Those two albums are Radiohead's Zooropa. I'm eagerly looking forward to Radiohead's POP. If this is the party, imagine what the hangover will sound like.

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
and the live version of "like spinning plates" is so gorgeous and haunting, i defy anyone to tell me otherwise, same with the previously unreleased "true love waits"
I love all Radiohead's unreleased stuff
they should unrelease more songs, maybe even an entire album

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I knew you would have been disappointed if I wouldn't have posted that

and I don't believe in "their unreleased stuff is some of the best they have" statements re. any band

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

[This message has been edited by Salome (edited 01-26-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom