Obama, Fukui, Japan Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why am I listening to Pride so much today? I mean, it's not as if it's really that appropriate. But I feel drawn to it. I guess because of all of those allusions that have been made today to that famous MLK speech that U2 have sampled in live versions of Pride: "I may not get there with you, but I want you to know tonight, that we the people will get to the promised land." So yeah, I'm cranking this and feeling pretty damn good.

OOH HELL YEAH! Let's pop and lock!

How many glasses you had? I've decided to have a few more beers. I detoxed the past few days, you'd be proud. :up:

I had three glasses after Obama's victory speech, and now I'm nearly done with my fourth. Will pour another.

You know, it's funny, most people seem to get hammered on red wine, while I was still stone cold sober after downing those three glasses earlier - I think I got through them in all of 40 minutes too. Yet I was quite visibly tipsy after a pint of Guinness and two pints of apple cider the last time I saw the Aussie U2 Show. I guess I'm just ridiculously used to wine?

Then again, it's not like vodka did much to me the one and only time I had it either.

Why am I listening to Pride so much today? I mean, it's not as if it's really that appropriate. But I feel drawn to it. I guess because of all of those allusions that have been made today to that famous MLK speech that U2 have sampled in live versions of Pride: "I may not get there with you, but I want you to know tonight, that we the people will get to the promised land." So yeah, I'm cranking this and feeling pretty damn good.

That's kind of funny. Maybe I'll crank a live one from TUF tour later. I'm tempted to. All the romanticism in the song sort of makes sense right now.

I had three glasses after Obama's victory speech, and now I'm nearly done with my fourth. Will pour another.

You know, it's funny, most people seem to get hammered on red wine, while I was still stone cold sober after downing those three glasses earlier - I think I got through them in all of 40 minutes too. Yet I was quite visibly tipsy after a pint of Guinness and two pints of apple cider the last time I saw the Aussie U2 Show. I guess I'm just ridiculously used to wine?

Then again, it's not like vodka did much to me the one and only time I had it either.

Nice, you just got the one bottle?

I can't drink enough red wine to feel any effect, it makes me sick after less than a glass. White wine though, well my resistance has probably faltered after the amount of goon I used to drink as a dumb youth. I was almost going to get a bottle of the stuff tonight, but went for a four pack of Caporal Pilsner instead (did a review of it a while back). Alcoholic Cider can do me in pretty quickly too, though I rarely drink it. I've had some nice ones before, though.

Vodka's a mixed bag for me. Last time I had it it completely fucked me up quickly, but the time before, I had even more and it didn't do much, even though I was mixing it with other stuff. Funny that.

That's kind of funny. Maybe I'll crank a live one from TUF tour later. I'm tempted to. All the romanticism in the song sort of makes sense right now.

Yeah, that. And the fact that after Pride is pretty much all the rest of UF keeps pulling me back too. I'm on the title track right now. Oh god yes.

Yeah, that. And the fact that after Pride is pretty much all the rest of UF keeps pulling me back too. I'm on the title track right now. Oh god yes.

Ungh, that would be so good right now. I'm listening to Marvin Gaye currently though, which I feel perfectly happy with.

Funnily enough, it was the mention of TUF that made me feel like sex right now rather than the fact I'm listening to Marvin Gaye. I don't know if you needed to know that, but hopefully you probably won't notice.

Anyway as I was saying.

UNGH

Nice, you just got the one bottle?

I can't drink enough red wine to feel any effect, it makes me sick after less than a glass. White wine though, well my resistance has probably faltered after the amount of goon I used to drink as a dumb youth. I was almost going to get a bottle of the stuff tonight, but went for a four pack of Caporal Pilsner instead (did a review of it a while back). Alcoholic Cider can do me in pretty quickly too, though I rarely drink it. I've had some nice ones before, though.

Vodka's a mixed bag for me. Last time I had it it completely fucked me up quickly, but the time before, I had even more and it didn't do much, even though I was mixing it with other stuff. Funny that.

Yeah. The Liquorland wasn't actually open last night when I swung by, but I had this unopened bottle at home so all was OK. Will need to swing by in time for the Kiwi election. Then again, not sure I want to waste wine on the loss. I mean, sure, I'd like to drink myself into a stupor, but I'm not sure I can afford to. I suppose if Helen somehow wins, I'll want wine to hold a fucking mad celebration. You know, I'll be so depressed if she loses not just because of National coming into office, but it's a point of pride for me that New Zealand's had a female PM for over a decade now, and it'll be kind of depressing to go back to a man. Especially a much less qualified man than Helen.

Oh, red wine's no good for you? Well, guess I won't be getting you to sample any of that next time you're in Mellabournikki! Shame, since red is quite strongly my preference. I mean, I like a good white plenty, but red's where it's at for me. As for cider, I had a couple of pints of Bulmer's, the Irish Bulmer's, and really enjoyed it. I only intended to have one pint and then return to Guinness, but in the end I had another pint of it, and almost bought a third.

Ungh, that would be so good right now. I'm listening to Marvin Gaye currently though, which I feel perfectly happy with.

Funnily enough, it was the mention of TUF that made me feel like sex right now rather than the fact I'm listening to Marvin Gaye. I don't know if you needed to know that, but hopefully you probably won't notice.

Anyway as I was saying.

UNGH

:lmao:

Well, now I'm up to Bad. I'll be worried if THAT makes you feel like sex.

And besides Pride, I've also been playing a fair bit of REM. Seems much more like a legitimately appropriate selection. Plus they rule.

Yeah. The Liquorland wasn't actually open last night when I swung by, but I had this unopened bottle at home so all was OK. Will need to swing by in time for the Kiwi election. Then again, not sure I want to waste wine on the loss. I mean, sure, I'd like to drink myself into a stupor, but I'm not sure I can afford to. I suppose if Helen somehow wins, I'll want wine to hold a fucking mad celebration. You know, I'll be so depressed if she loses not just because of National coming into office, but it's a point of pride for me that New Zealand's had a female PM for over a decade now, and it'll be kind of depressing to go back to a man. Especially a much less qualified man than Helen.

Oh, red wine's no good for you? Well, guess I won't be getting you to sample any of that next time you're in Mellabournikki! Shame, since red is quite strongly my preference. I mean, I like a good white plenty, but red's where it's at for me. As for cider, I had a couple of pints of Bulmer's, the Irish Bulmer's, and really enjoyed it. I only intended to have one pint and then return to Guinness, but in the end I had another pint of it, and almost bought a third.

Ah, right. What's the likelihood of Helen winning? You see, I'm Australian, I forget New Zealand exists, let alone politics in New Zealand...

Oh nah, the thing about red is that I have had it only sparingly over the past couple of years. I'd be more than happy to try some good ones. I'm not like my brother, he's allergic to the stuff. I just haven't had many red wines than have blown me away, I guess.

I think the only good ciders I've had have been from Ireland. I think that's most of the market here. Pretty good stuff, just not something I'd have all the time. Kriek/cherry beer is enough as it is!

:lmao:

Well, now I'm up to Bad. I'll be worried if THAT makes you feel like sex.

And besides Pride, I've also been playing a fair bit of REM. Seems much more like a legitimately appropriate selection. Plus they rule.

Me too!

Yeah, did you see what Andrew wrote about them in some rubbish IQ thread? Oh horror of horrors!

Ah, right. What's the likelihood of Helen winning? You see, I'm Australian, I forget New Zealand exists, let alone politics in New Zealand...

Oh nah, the thing about red is that I have had it only sparingly over the past couple of years. I'd be more than happy to try some good ones. I'm not like my brother, he's allergic to the stuff. I just haven't had many red wines than have blown me away, I guess.

I think the only good ciders I've had have been from Ireland. I think that's most of the market here. Pretty good stuff, just not something I'd have all the time. Kriek/cherry beer is enough as it is!

Helen winning looks rather bad. National may win enough to govern in their own right, or with just the support of ACT. Labour will have to rely on the Greens, Progressives, and other friendly minor parties polling well enough that they get into parliament, stop National/ACT from having a majority, and can sustain Labour as a minority government. It's going to be close, but I am already resigning myself to a loss.

Ahh, right. I find reds to generally be much more full-bodied, intense, stronger wines. Whites in general seem too light to me. I'm through and through a pinot noir man.

Heh. I didn't expect to enjoy it half as much as I did! I tend to not dig apple things so much, despite my fondness for apples themselves. But I could totally go for cider right now.

Ashley, what the hell are you doing up!

Me too!

Yeah, did you see what Andrew wrote about them in some rubbish IQ thread? Oh horror of horrors!

Andrew's made his foolish REM opinion known on the Superthread before. That poor, misguided boy. :tsk:

I was going to read ONE chapter of this book before I went to bed. Three hours and over a hundred pages later, here I am putting music on my iPod to keep me awake :sad:.

I can never decide what to do in these situations. Do I sleep now, and then maybe skip my first class? Do I stay awake all day and try desperately to fix my sleep schedule? See the reason before that I wasn't sleeping is I was extremely nervous about the election. Now I just don't feel well at all and it's making me uncomfortable and unable to sleep.

Oh and the last time I SERIOUSLY consumed Vodka quick enough to get drunk (lately when I drink i'ts been pretty slowly so I just get buzzed) I changed my status and didn't even know I did it.

Helen winning looks rather bad. National may win enough to govern in their own right, or with just the support of ACT. Labour will have to rely on the Greens, Progressives, and other friendly minor parties polling well enough that they get into parliament, stop National/ACT from having a majority, and can sustain Labour as a minority government. It's going to be close, but I am already resigning myself to a loss.

Ahh, right. I find reds to generally be much more full-bodied, intense, stronger wines. Whites in general seem too light to me. I'm through and through a pinot noir man.

Heh. I didn't expect to enjoy it half as much as I did! I tend to not dig apple things so much, despite my fondness for apples themselves. But I could totally go for cider right now.

Oh well, despite your pessimistic political ways, keep your head up. :up:

Yeah, you're correct. It's like that with beers, ales and stouts tend to be more flavoursome and varied, but lagers and pilsners can be better depending on whatever. And of course there's a lot in between. I look forward to trying some reds with you, since you rave about them so much. :up:

Yeah, me too actually. :lol: Actually, what would really hit the spot right now is a bit of weed to go with Marvin Gaye, but I might have to settle for a Cooper's Pale Ale. Can't complain too much.

I've a question about beer Bonnie. So far the only one that I've even been willing to buy a case of (aside from when I bought the Guinness for my birthday) is Heineken. Is there anything similar to it? Or maybe even better than it? Do you know? Are you willing to share the secret?

Ashley. :(

Would you like to iSketch with semi-tipsy Bonnie and Ax? You might get sick of it pretty quickly!

I await Axver's telling simply because I don't want everyone to get sick and tired of iSketch so soon after it being discovered :lol:

I was going to read ONE chapter of this book before I went to bed. Three hours and over a hundred pages later, here I am putting music on my iPod to keep me awake :sad:.

I can never decide what to do in these situations. Do I sleep now, and then maybe skip my first class? Do I stay awake all day and try desperately to fix my sleep schedule? See the reason before that I wasn't sleeping is I was extremely nervous about the election. Now I just don't feel well at all and it's making me uncomfortable and unable to sleep.

Oh man, Ashley. I don't know how you do it. I got about 7 hours of fitful sleep last night and feel like an utter wreck. Don't know how you manage to keep going on so much less.

I'm up for iSketch if you guys are.

Oh well, despite your pessimistic political ways, keep your head up. :up:

Yeah, you're correct. It's like that with beers, ales and stouts tend to be more flavoursome and varied, but lagers and pilsners can be better depending on whatever. And of course there's a lot in between. I look forward to trying some reds with you, since you rave about them so much. :up:

Yeah, me too actually. :lol: Actually, what would really hit the spot right now is a bit of weed to go with Marvin Gaye, but I might have to settle for a Cooper's Pale Ale. Can't complain too much.

The sad part is, this isn't my political pessimism. I'm trying so hard to be optimistic that Helen might win, but god ... I can't find reasons. My pessimistic side fears a total rout.

Haha, now I better find some quality reds that live up to my talk.

:laugh: Actually, all I feel like right now is orange juice, but that'll probably taste shocking after this cab sav.

I've a question about beer Bonnie. So far the only one that I've even been willing to buy a case of (aside from when I bought the Guinness for my birthday) is Heineken. Is there anything similar to it? Or maybe even better than it? Do you know? Are you willing to share the secret?

Heineken is a pretty basic lager, probably the most famous beer in the world. So yes, there's a lot of stuff similar to it. You should be able to find most or all of these. They are other popular lagers from all sorts of places in the world: Beck's, Carlsberg, Tuborg, Okocim (probably the odd one out here, it's a Polish lager I rather like), Peroni Nastro Azzurro, Mythos, Grolsch (might be leaning a little too over the bitter side for beer novices), Bavaria, Hollandia, Steinlager (NZ's most popular import beer! Just said that for Ax), Singha, Chang (both of those are Asian and thus not from mad brewing history countries, but they're an easy and refreshing drink), Kokanee (Canadian, so you should be able to find it), Harp (basically the piss beer of Ireland, I've only ever had it on tap where it's reasonable) and good lord, I should really be thinking of dozens more right now, but I'm already in a slight daze. That's right. I'm drunk posting and I'm not making ANY spelling mistakes! :tongue: Losers! Maybe I'll BAN someone! :cocktail:

One of you want to start a private room? I know how to do that, but not how to invite you lot into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom