Oasis to play MSG in New York...anyone else surprised???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mac Phisto

The Fly
So there's this band Oasis, right? They had this reputation as a volatile and controversial lot, who happened to be quite amusing and often satisfiable. They were hugely popular about 10 years ago around the world. They even made it in the U.S. Some saw them as the successor to U2 as the world's "biggest band."

It didn't turn out that way, as drug use and in-fighting stunted the band's growth. The stateside success was fleeting, although they remained very popular elsewhere in the world. The band continued to put out albums to little to no fanfare in the U.S., purchased (and enjoyed) solely by the diehards. They haven't had a single played legitimately on New York radio in seven years. I personally have seen the band several times in the last five years or so in the New York-area, playing in one small venue after another. Great show, great sound, a small but fervent fanbase. I was satisfied -- resigned to the band's fate as a cult band here.

So, that said, please understand my amazement upon hearing on the radio yesterday that Oasis will be playing in New York's Madison Square Garden -- known as "The World's Most Famous Arena" -- on June 22nd. They are being supported by flavor of the month rockers Jet.

Did I miss something here?

The big question: Can Oasis sell out an 18,000 U.S. arena in the year 2005? I have my theories why I believe they can, but whether they do or not, I'm excited to see them try.

Anyone else hear/surprised/excited about this?

damn Macphisto, thanks for the heads up. As for selling out, I agree with what headache said.

I'm logging on saturday to get my tickets. It's this saturday at 10:00 am for anyone interested.

Jet is opening for them, which gives me time to stand in the beer line and pre-game before Oasis come on.

They're also playing at the UIC Pavilion in Chicago. If I'm not working, I'll definitely go see them.

OASIS ANNOUNCE NORTH AMERICAN SHOWS
7 February 2005

To coincide with the release of their long awaited new album this summer Oasis will be playing a limited number of very special live shows in North America including some of their biggest ever American dates. Special guest on all shows will be Australian rock phenomenon Jet. These will be the bands first performances in America since the summer of 2002. Tickets for all shows go on sale on Saturday 12th February.

This very special bill of Oasis with Jet will be playing the following venues:

Friday June 17- Toronto-Molson Amphitheatre
Tickets On-Sale: Feb 12th @ 10 am EST Ticketmaster outlets or call 416-870-8000 to charge. Or order online at www.hob.ca or www.ticketmaster.ca or at the Molson Amphitheater Box Office (not until May 21st at 11am, this is when the box office opens for the season),

Saturday June 18- Detroit Meadow Brook Amphitheatre
Tickets on sale Feb 12th @ 10 am EST
Tickets available at The Palace box office (4 Championship Drive Auburn Hills, MI) and all Ticketmaster outlets. By phone at 248-645-6666 or on line at Ticketmaster.com The venue box office will also be open for ticket sales at a time to be determined this spring.

Monday June 20 -Chicago-UIC Pavilion
Tickets On-Sale: February 12th @ 11 am CST
Tickets available at the U.I.C. Pavilion box office, all Ticketmaster locations including Carson Pirie Scott, Tower Records, Hot Tix, and select Coconuts, FYE, and Record Town locations. Order online at Ticketmaster.com and charge by phone at 312-559-1212

Wednesday June 22-NYC-Madison Square Garden
Tickets on sale: February 12th @ 10am EST
Available at select Ticketmaster Outlets, Ticketmaster Charge by Phone: 212.307.7171, 201.507.8900, 631.888.9000, 845.454.3388, 212.307.7200 Also, online at www.ticketmaster.com. Tickets will be available at the Madison Square Garden box office beginning Sunday, 12th February.

Saturday June 25-Philadelphia- Festival Pier @ Penn’s Landing
Tickets on-Sale: February 12th @ 10 am EST
Tickets available at all Ticketmaster locations, www.ticketmaster.com, Electric Factory Concerts box office (1231 Vine Street), charge by phone 215-336-2000.

For further information check out www.oasisinet.com or your local press and radio.

i'll be at the chicago show!!!!!

well they'll probably sell out the molson amphitheatre as they do every time they play toronto and that's 16000. that's where i'll be :D :hyper:

they sold out 2 shows at the bowey ballroom back to back and a third show somewhere else in the city on the last tour.

Last edited:
The Bowery Ballroom is about the size of my basement, lol.

I can't imagine them selling out MSG, although putting the show on sale this far in advance may help sell more tickets.

Honestly, I think Jet will bring in half the audience. Oasis is dead here, and Jet gets a pretty decent amount of MTV/radio play. Oasis was never popular enough here in the States to be a novelty or nostalgia act either, so they'll have to hope their entire NYC fan base comes out, and brings a friend or two with them.

Me, I'll buy a ticket from a scalper outside the arena for $10 or $20 and see the show. No sense dropping $75 on a ticket that won't be worth nearly that much.

can it get any better??? the two best rock bands in the world coming to chicago....i'll see U2 in May and then Oasis in June and then U2 again in the Fall....this is shaping up to be a good summer

WOO HOO !!!!!!!!!!!!

section 101 for toronto!!!!!! i'm probably about 10 rows from the stage on noels side.

that's way better than i had in 2002 and my seats were pretty good then. :hyper:

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Last edited:
Just my two cents - Will they put people behind the stage? If there is a sell-out question, don't sell seats behind the stage -

Oasis killed their chances at being big in the States. Sad to say. I think I'll try to go to a show or two. If they actually dedicated themselves to touring the States and if their album is good enough, they could have possibilities for a comeback. However, I doubt it b/c American radio/ MTV is so blah these days.

Oasis is gonna have to pull out Wonderwall if they wanna sell... LOL.

Just because I put out the cash for three u2 shows, I dont know if I want to spend $40 on Oasis. But because I've never seen them live, I want to check it out. Their not a favorite band of mine, but I do like them and used to love them.

I saw Oasis just after Definitely Maybe came out, and it was a horrible concert. It was so damn loud, so that it surpasses every metal concert i have ever been to.. Horrible concert,,, But that was LONG time ago,, Havn´t seen them since, but have all their records. They are cool ( Sometimes ).. Liam is the tallest 2 year old i have ever seen :wink:

Oasis

Oasis - a bunch of lazy, over paid thugs! :madspit: Liam should stick to what he is good at - drinking and getting involved in punch ups!

Its the attitude that gave them all the attention,,, Just like Britney forgetting to put on a full set of clothes everytime she appears anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom