Oasis or Coldplay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which do you prefer?

• Coldplay

Votes: 45 48.9%
  • Oasis

Votes: 32 34.8%
  • Neither. Both are completely overrated.

Votes: 15 16.3%

• Total voters

beau2ifulday

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Just curious - people seem to like one or the other.
I'm a Coldplay person. I don't mind Oasis, but i've always found them extremely overrated.

Last edited:
I find Oasis boring. With Coldplay, I love the chilling and beautiful harmonies. I guess a lot of people would disagree, but I don't think this one is even close.

It's close but I have to go with Oasis because I'm familiar with more of their work. I like Coldplay but their songs are a bit boring sometimes. :reject:

Coldplay didn't write Definitely Maybe, Morning Glory, they don't have the best b-sides ever, or the best frontman of the last 25 years.

They're U2-lite.

Sleep Over Jack said:
They don't have the best b-sides ever, or the best frontman of the last 25 years.

They're U2-lite.

Coldplay have more soul in their collective little toe than Oasis have ever had, or ever will have, as far as I'm concerned... and that's coming from someone who does quite like Oasis.

I really liked Definitely Maybe, and a fair bit of What's the Story. I liked the spirit in their early stuff, and still do. Nonetheless, I don't see how Noel, at the height of fame, could write lyrics like:

She's got a sister
and God only knows how I missed her
and on the palm of her hand is a blister.

... and still claim to be part of the "best band in the world". Don't think so, Noelyboy. It was hilarious then and is still funny now.

Neither Liam, Noel nor Chris M have half the charisma that Bono has - I find them boring front men compared to B.

Last edited:
They're both a bit overrated.

With that, I have some of both of their music.

Melon

i find coldplay boring but i can understand why people enjoy their music. as for oasis, liam's voice is so whiny it drives me up the wall.

i think they're both a bit overrated.

that's one of the weirdest polls I've seen around.

"Coming soon, who's better: Bob Marley or Led Zeppelin?"

I voted Coldplay by the way, though I'd say both are top of their respective (sub-)genres.

why pick one if you can enjoy both of them? And their music it's not the same style, they work different depending on your mood...

But Noel's the man, I must say...

RA-D said:
that's one of the weirdest polls I've seen around.

"Coming soon, who's better: Bob Marley or Led Zeppelin?"
Well, they're both derivative British bands.

And Oasis wins by quite a bit until Chris Martin and Co. pull a "Live Forever," "Champagne Supernova," or "The Masterplan" out of their bums.

neither are even close to being one of my favorite bands. they're both overrated, but i can listen to both bands and enjoy them.

sallycinnamon78 said:

Coldplay have more soul in their collective little toe than Oasis have ever had, or ever will have, as far as I'm concerned... and that's coming from someone who does quite like Oasis.

I really liked Definitely Maybe, and a fair bit of What's the Story. I liked the spirit in their early stuff, and still do. Nonetheless, I don't see how Noel, at the height of fame, could write lyrics like:

She's got a sister
and God only knows how I missed her
and on the palm of her hand is a blister.

... and still claim to be part of the "best band in the world". Don't think so, Noelyboy. It was hilarious then and is still funny now.

Neither Liam, Noel nor Chris M have half the charisma that Bono has - I find them boring front men compared to B.

Well where are these soulful Coldplay songs?? Take Speed Of Sound for instance, it sounds polished, competent, yet utterly sterile..the songs have no "feel"...Just listen to the yearning of Live Forever, Don't Look Back in Anger, that is real emotion. As for the lyrics thing, every band has a dodgy lyric, are you saying U2 doesn't have theirs? Doesn't mean they're not great.

Sleep Over Jack said:

Well where are these soulful Coldplay songs?? the songs have no "feel"...Just listen to the yearning of Live Forever, Don't Look Back in Anger, that is real emotion.

Amsterdam
Warning Sign
Shiver
to name my favourite three 'emotionally'.

It's a very different emotion and doesn't come across in the more commonplace songs, such as In My Place and Trouble but it's there all the same.

Well where are these soulful Coldplay songs?? Take Speed Of Sound for instance, it sounds polished, competent, yet utterly sterile..the songs have no "feel"...Just listen to the yearning of Live Forever, Don't Look Back in Anger, that is real emotion. As for the lyrics thing, every band has a dodgy lyric, are you saying U2 doesn't have theirs? Doesn't mean they're not great. [/B][/QUOTE]

It's easy enough to hear the soulful songs... if you have ears, of course. :shrug:

I have yet to see a lyric from Bono that is as utterly ridiculous as the one quoted above. Elebvation is daft in places, but it still piddles all over Noely's nonsensical jabbering (in that particular song, I mean - although generally speaking it applies too, IMO).
beau2ifulday said:

My two favourite songs by Coldplay :up:
When Oasis come out with something as good, i'll reconsider my stance.
Quite.

It's all subjective anyway. So all this is as pointless as it ever was. To each her/his its own, and all that logical sensible stuff. Goodnight. :yawn:

Last edited:
sallycinnamon78 said:
It's easy enough to hear the soulful songs... if you have ears, of course. :shrug:

Quite.

It's all subjective anyway. Goodnight. :yawn:

Congratulations on the most condescending post of the night.

I actually like Shiver, probably the only Coldplay song that has balls..

I don't think Coldplay have written anything that approaches the brilliance of these songs:

The Masterplan
Live Forever
Columbia
Wonderwall
Whatever
Don't Look Back in Anger
Some Might Say

and thats just a few of their best..seriously, those songs are flat-out classics, I can't really think of any Coldplay tunes that stand out, its like they aspire to mediocrity..

Back
Top Bottom