Oasis or Coldplay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which do you prefer?

• Coldplay

Votes: 45 48.9%
  • Oasis

Votes: 32 34.8%
  • Neither. Both are completely overrated.

Votes: 15 16.3%

• Total voters
U2One said:
no contest, Oasis is easily better than Coldplay. I mean, Oasis pretty much were the pioneers of the whole Britpop era with Definitely Maybe and (What's the Story) Morning Glory. The impact of both of those records was nuclear. Until I see Coldplay do something that was so massive or has such a great impact, they'll never be at Oasis's level. Coldplay's first to records are good, but they aren't landmark albums. I believe that both Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory are landmark albums
I agree with you. No other British band in the 90`s, except Radiohead and Oasis have released landmark albums with their first records :love:.

I think Coldplay probably ( I hope so ) will be like U2, I mean, no landmark first 2 albums...but then... ;) . Oasis WAS one of the most important bands in the mid 90`s, but now they`re just another overrated act. I think their career is pretty like Led Zeppelin, I mean, awesome first albums...and then... :sad:

U2Kitten said:

This is the exact OPPOSITE of how I feel. I love Oasis, I do consider many of their songs to be beautiful and haunting. Coldplay is boring, and the singer's voice is so intolerably whiney I can't enjoy ANYTHING they do. This one ISN'T close- Oasis by a hundred miles!

Wow! That really is the opposite of what I think. I find many of Coldplay's songs to be beautiful and haunting. Oasis is boring, and Noel's voice is so intolerably whiney I can't really enjoy much of what they do. This one ISN'T close- Coldplay by a hundred miles!

*BOOMCHAA!* said:
a better question would be : Who would win out of a fight between Chris Martin and Liam or Noel (either brother would do)?
:wink:

Either of the gallaghers would pound Martin..especially Liam. :wink:

U2Kitten said:

This is the exact OPPOSITE of how I feel. I love Oasis, I do consider many of their songs to be beautiful and haunting. Coldplay is boring, and the singer's voice is so intolerably whiney I can't enjoy ANYTHING they do. This one ISN'T close- Oasis by a hundred miles!

Oasis are good..so are coldplay...

U2kitten - :shame:

Then again, Yukon Gold potatoes have a certain flavour that neither Idaho or Oregon can offer.

You'll have to excuse me.

I tend to get a little dramatic when it comes to my spuds.

yertle-the-turtle said:
Can I say Blur or Pulp?

I love them to bits, more than I do Oasis and Coldplay, whom I both enjoy but not as much as Blur and Pulp.

:hmm:
I sense another poll coming on....

I went to see Blur a couple of times back in '97 - they are really good live.

The same cannot be said of the Verve without Nick McCabe. I adore the Verve and I like Richard Ashcroft very much... for me, listening to him was like drowning in a vat of warm chocolate. :drool: They were fairly good when I saw them play live live. Ashcroft was in good form vocally and Simon Tong carried the gig well, but I felt as though one of the magic ingredients was missing after McCabe left.

Pulp were different from everybody else who was big at the time, and I liked that. I thought Do You Remember The First Time? was great, and I liked Common People and a few others. Joyriders made me smile:

We can't help it, we're so thick we can't think.
Can't think of anything but shit sleep and drink.
Oh and we like women:
up the women we say
and if we get lucky, yeah we might even meet some one day...

Had a great laugh at the lyrics for Disco 2000! Also remember being highly amused listening to the 5th years' karaoke parody of Misshapes (renamed Pisstakes) at school. Jarvis Cocker was annoying though, I freely admit!

I was doing my A-levels during the whole Blur/Oasis rivalry thing, the ridiculous 'battle' for number 1. Someone had written 'OASIS' on the school noticeboard ... I wrote "available now in all good bargain bins near you". I couldn't resist that opportunity, even though I liked Oasis. The war that followed was a lot of nonsense, and an excuse for everybody to indulge in some general tomfoolery.

I also remember being in the middle of a very pointless argument which went "Blur". "No, Oasis". "Blur are shite". "Oasis are worse". Eventually someone butted in with "NO! STEPS!"

That shut them up.:lol:

Ah, happy days...

Last edited:
A new poll? Here's a few ideas.

Motorhead versus Enya.
Rammstein versus Atomic Kitten.
Duran Duran versus Bob Marley.
Kate Bush versus Tears For Fears.
Radiohead versus the Monkees.
NSync versus a grop of Gregorian monks.
Celine Dion versus Eminem.

Yes, Noel is not a great songwriter, but if the songs sound good, thats what matters, unless you are looking for poetry!

Songs such as Some Might Say, Champagne Supernova, Columbia, and even Wonderwall don't have very good lyrics, but are great songs.

In my opinion I don't think Mofo has great lyrics, but it rocks.

sallycinnamon78 said:
A new poll? Here's a few ideas.

Motorhead versus Enya.
Rammstein versus Atomic Kitten.
Duran Duran versus Bob Marley.
Kate Bush versus Tears For Fears.
Radiohead versus the Monkees.
NSync versus a grop of Gregorian monks.
Celine Dion versus Eminem.

More annoying:

sallycinnamon78 bitching about a new poll she should just ignore if she doesn't want to play versus being bit by a mosquito

bsp77 said:

More annoying:

sallycinnamon78 bitching about a new poll she should just ignore if she doesn't want to play versus being bit by a mosquito

:lol:Wasn't bitching about the new poll at all! Just thought I'd add my little suggestions, as usual. If you're gonna take the piss, at least be accurate. :D

Thought I'd save the hassle of the new debate with a quick summary:

lose.gif

Oasis
the
Brain-Eating Sea Monkey

Battle Rating : 5.0

VERSUS

win.gif

Blur
the
Pasta-Eating Space Monkey

Battle Rating : 5.3

Blur wins!

Oasis is a Brain-Eating Sea Monkey with a Battle Rating of 5.0.http://thesurrealist.co.uk/monkey?def=Oasis

Last edited:
Incidentally - my housemate is keen to actually see the Celine/Eminem battle. :ohmy: I think I prefer the monkeys.

Last edited:
sallycinnamon78 said:

Incidentally - my housemate is keen to actually see the Celine/Eminem battle. :ohmy: I think I prefer the monkeys.

Be careful, Sally. I may take you up on that poll...

beau2ifulday said:

Be careful, Sally. I may take you up on that poll...

Ok! Just for you, dear friend... :wink:
lose.gif

Celine Dion
the
Fish-Eating Rage Monkey

Battle Rating : 7.5

VERSUS

win.gif

Eminem
the
Bone-Eating Magic Monkey

Battle Rating : 8.4

Eminem wins!

http://thesurrealist.co.uk/monkey?def=Celine+Dion

Hey! Just noticed - you and I will be at Twickers on the same day. Cool!

Last edited:
sallycinnamon78 said:

:lol:Wasn't bitching about the new poll at all! Just thought I'd add my little suggestions, as usual. If you're gonna take the piss, at least be accurate. :D

I tend to miss the bowl sometimes. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom