Oasis, Killers Remake Sgt. Pepper's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
What a gloriously bad idea! :happy:

"On June 1, Sgt. Pepper turns 40. BBC Radio 2, in bizarre, ill-advised tribute to that otherwise momentous occasion, has commissioned thirteen bands to cover the venerable album's songs, with the results being aired June 2. The bands will use the Beatles' original recording equipment and Beatle engineer Geoff Emerick will oversee the project."

Read the full, disturbing story here:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/42199-oasis-killers-remake-isgt-peppersi-god-knows-why

Look, I'm sure these things seem like a good idea in boardrooms or over a few pints; there's money to be made, the source material won't suffer for these fools, and there's a fairly good chance Oasis will pull something worth hearing out of their inevitable take on the title track. But unless they peg Radiohead for "Within You Without You" or Olivia Tremor Control for "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite" or Jesus H. Christ for "Lovely Rita," there's no way the finished product will be anything but a bold experiment in screwing up an otherwise perfect thing. I can't be the only one who remembers the I Am Sam soundtrack.

This paragraph is pretty spot-on. Though, I wouldn't mind hearing Arcade Fire doing a version of A Day in the Life or something similar, either.

Also love how they photoshopped Brandon Flowers into the Sgt. Peppers picture. :lol:

Tons of Beatle covers have been done over the years, most being mediocre to lame and some being amazing (Joe Cocker's "With a Little Help from My Friends" is a classic)

I don't see how this will be any different.

Look, I'm sure these things seem like a good idea in boardrooms or over a few pints; there's money to be made, the source material won't suffer for these fools, and there's a fairly good chance Oasis will pull something worth hearing out of their inevitable take on the title track. But unless they peg Radiohead for "Within You Without You" or Olivia Tremor Control for "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite" or Jesus H. Christ for "Lovely Rita," there's no way the finished product will be anything but a bold experiment in screwing up an otherwise perfect thing. I can't be the only one who remembers the I Am Sam soundtrack.

Hey pitchfork: eat shit, and please stop writing about music.

MrBrau1 said:

Hey pitchfork: eat shit, and please stop writing about music.

hey!!! i thought that bit was pretty funny!
Jesus H. Christ doing 'Lovely Rita'...that's solid gold!

LemonMacPhisto said:
Tons of Beatle covers have been done over the years, most being mediocre to lame and some being amazing (Joe Cocker's "With a Little Help from My Friends" is a classic)

I don't see how this will be any different.

that is, joe cocker's walhfmf is the only great beatles cover ever.

U2Man said:

that is, joe cocker's walhfmf is the only great beatles cover ever.

Eddie Vedder's cover of "You Got to Hide Your Love Away" is good.

Siouxie and the Banshees - "Dear Prudence". :up: They made it their own, which is what I like to hear in a cover version.

Perfect example, The Bravery's version of "An Cat Dubh", respectful of the original, but completely sounds like a Bravery song. That's the way to do a cover.

Back
Top Bottom