Oasis - Don't Believe The Truth - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2005, 04:25 PM   #91
War Child

Local Time: 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by TheBrazilianFly
Why do people don't like Standing On The Shoulders Of Giants? It's a great album in my opinion. I mean: Go Let It Out, Who Feels Love, Gas Panic, Where Did It All Go Wrong, I Can See A Liar, Roll It Over are all great songs. And Fucking In The Bushes is a great opener and a great instrumental track. Great album. I think it's even stronger than Be Here Now.

don't forget Sunday Morning Call.....classic Noel track

Old 08-06-2005, 11:56 AM   #92
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:32 PM

Man... Guess God Thinks I'm Abel has to be the most beatlesque Oasis song ever!!! Listen to the backing vocals in the part with the line 'no one could break us, no one could take us if they tried'! And of course the weird ending!

Anyway, pretty much every track here is so sing-along gorgeous!

Old 08-06-2005, 12:12 PM   #93
Blue Crack Supplier

Woah... plus Guess God Thinks I'm Abel has a beat almost identical to Two Of Us from Let It Be.

Old 08-06-2005, 02:50 PM   #94
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:32 PM
I only own Definitely Maybe. I know almost all the tracks from Morning Glory but have yet to buy it.

I got Don't Believe the Truth last month.

At first listen, I was very underwhelmed. I have no idea why.
Because now I absolutely love it. It's much more acoustic than I thought it would be and it's great! The guitar outro in Turn Up the Sun, the piano and lalala's in Love Like a Bomb, everything in Importance of Being Idle, the simple chorus in Guess God Thinks I'm Able (let's go find a rainbow), etc etc etc, all the way to Let There Be Love (which is soooooooooooooo Beatlesque they should almost be paying royalties )...: this album is just awesome!

The only track I don't enjoy is Mucky Fingers because of the beat. It's a shame, since the vocals are great.

Anyway: great album!
Old 08-06-2005, 03:07 PM   #95
War Child

Local Time: 03:32 PM
"Lyla" is the only song I've heard and it's too damn loud. Absolutely no finesse to it's production and arrangement and the volume on the vocals and guitars are way too high.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:22 PM   #96
ONE
love, blood, life

Listening to this album just makes me think "what went wrong?" Oasis were a band who were so so good at their peak (ie Definitely Maybe, Morning Glory and The Masterplan) and have gone slowly downhill from that point on. The latest album isn't even bad, it's just ordinary and so very disappointing from a band which once wrote songs like Live Forever, The Masterplan, Champagne Supernova and the like.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:27 PM   #97
Refugee

Local Time: 08:32 PM
Its still holding up really well to me. Heathen Chemistry had already faded by this point after it came out..the songs are all excellent, but apart from "The Importance Of Being Idle" there aren't many amazing classics..what Oasis did on their first two albums was stunning, all those classic tunes..but no-one can maintain a standard like that (thats not to excuse Be Here Now, 'Giants and Heathen Chemistry).

However, the album works as a solid, coherent piece of work, its a true record with great flow that grows on you and has plenty of variety. Its easily their third best. If Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory are 10/10s, then I believe Don't Believe The Truth is in the 8.5/10 area, nothing to be ashamed of at all.

For a comparison, I see Be Here Now as a 3/10, Giants as 5/10, and HC as 5/10 also.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:50 PM   #98
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:32 PM
I'm not familiar with all their releases, but I do have WTSMG, and the new CD. I think both are great, and am enjoying them both (the latter has been played several times today while working). "Let There Be Love" has so many similarities to other bands/songs. The song is reminiscent of the Beatles, but his vocals are spot on the vocal sound of the band Squeeze...
Old 08-06-2005, 07:07 PM   #99
Blue Crack Supplier

So does nobody see the overtly beatlesque nature of Guess God Thinks??? It sounds practically like Oasis featuring John Lennon on vocals!
Old 08-06-2005, 09:39 PM   #100
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
So does nobody see the overtly beatlesque nature of Guess God Thinks??? It sounds practically like Oasis featuring John Lennon on vocals!

I can't say that it does! Of Liam's songs Born on A Different Cloud is the most Lennon-esque I think.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:23 PM   #101
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:32 PM
The "Lyla" B-side "Won't Let You Down" is even more Lennonesque, I think. It and "Guess God Thinks I'm Abel" are both brilliant. Liam's really coming along.

Speaking of stolen beats, "Mucky Fingers" is so obviously "Waiting for the Man" and the drums in "A Bell Will Ring" remind me a lot of "Tomorrow Never Knows." Man, I love these guys.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:31 AM   #102
Refugee

I love A Bell Will Ring, the drums you mention sound like bricks being dropped on a pavement, and Mucky Fingers has some of Noel's best lyrics ever, and also a different take on the Oasis wall-of-sound approach.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:50 AM   #103
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think people aren't keen on SOTSOG for two main reasons:

1. To borrow the words of a NME reviewer, some of the songs are merely "simple sketches" that should have been embelished upon but were not. (see Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is). This perhaps gave it a rushed, unfinished feel that conveyed the impression that they just didn't care.

2. Some people didn't like the sound of SOTSOG. It was very psychodelic (sp?) and quite a dark album.

Personally, I kinda like the angsty feel to much of the album and quite enjoy the 'far out man' effects on songs like Who Feels Love? But I'd have to agree that many of the songs do sound unfinished, the potential to be great but in the end only good for me, sorry!

As for DBTT, I'm enjoying it and I think that's the important thing but the single choices have been a bit IMHO The Importance of Being Idle is very much an album track like many say Don't Look Back In Anger was. I wanna see some Liam tracks released because they're the ones that (again, borrowing the words of a reviewer) sound really "fresh" and different. I've already commented on TIOBI but to come back after 3 years with Lyla as the first single just seemed weird to me 'cos I don't think it's a 'Wow!' track. Whereas one of the Liam ones do sound quite un-Oasis (even though people will start the whole Beatles thing about them again) AND would get a lot of airplay as there are quite catchy.

Just my thoughts.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:20 PM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie

great album - even better live.... MOS kicks ass
Old 08-07-2005, 10:56 PM   #105
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:32 AM
i've never heard any oasis songs, but since a lot of u2 and coldplay fans seem to like them a lot, i think i'll give it a try.
which songs do you guys recommend i start off with?

Tags
oasis