Oasis - Don't Believe The Truth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TheBrazilianFly said:
Why do people don't like Standing On The Shoulders Of Giants? It's a great album in my opinion. I mean: Go Let It Out, Who Feels Love, Gas Panic, Where Did It All Go Wrong, I Can See A Liar, Roll It Over are all great songs. And Fucking In The Bushes is a great opener and a great instrumental track. Great album. I think it's even stronger than Be Here Now. :shrug:

don't forget Sunday Morning Call.....classic Noel track

Man... Guess God Thinks I'm Abel has to be the most beatlesque Oasis song ever!!! Listen to the backing vocals in the part with the line 'no one could break us, no one could take us if they tried'! And of course the weird ending!

:ohmy:

Anyway, pretty much every track here is so sing-along gorgeous!

I only own Definitely Maybe. I know almost all the tracks from Morning Glory but have yet to buy it.

I got Don't Believe the Truth last month.

At first listen, I was very underwhelmed. I have no idea why.
Because now I absolutely love it. It's much more acoustic than I thought it would be and it's great! The guitar outro in Turn Up the Sun, the piano and lalala's in Love Like a Bomb, everything in Importance of Being Idle, the simple chorus in Guess God Thinks I'm Able (let's go find a rainbow), etc etc etc, all the way to Let There Be Love (which is soooooooooooooo Beatlesque they should almost be paying royalties :wink: )...: this album is just awesome!

The only track I don't enjoy is Mucky Fingers because of the beat. It's a shame, since the vocals are great.

Anyway: great album!

"Lyla" is the only song I've heard and it's too damn loud. Absolutely no finesse to it's production and arrangement and the volume on the vocals and guitars are way too high.

Listening to this album just makes me think "what went wrong?" Oasis were a band who were so so good at their peak (ie Definitely Maybe, Morning Glory and The Masterplan) and have gone slowly downhill from that point on. The latest album isn't even bad, it's just ordinary and so very disappointing from a band which once wrote songs like Live Forever, The Masterplan, Champagne Supernova and the like.

Its still holding up really well to me. Heathen Chemistry had already faded by this point after it came out..the songs are all excellent, but apart from "The Importance Of Being Idle" there aren't many amazing classics..what Oasis did on their first two albums was stunning, all those classic tunes..but no-one can maintain a standard like that (thats not to excuse Be Here Now, 'Giants and Heathen Chemistry).

However, the album works as a solid, coherent piece of work, its a true record with great flow that grows on you and has plenty of variety. Its easily their third best. If Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory are 10/10s, then I believe Don't Believe The Truth is in the 8.5/10 area, nothing to be ashamed of at all.

For a comparison, I see Be Here Now as a 3/10, Giants as 5/10, and HC as 5/10 also.

I'm not familiar with all their releases, but I do have WTSMG, and the new CD. I think both are great, and am enjoying them both (the latter has been played several times today while working). "Let There Be Love" has so many similarities to other bands/songs. The song is reminiscent of the Beatles, but his vocals are spot on the vocal sound of the band Squeeze...

So does nobody see the overtly beatlesque nature of Guess God Thinks??? It sounds practically like Oasis featuring John Lennon on vocals!

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:
So does nobody see the overtly beatlesque nature of Guess God Thinks??? It sounds practically like Oasis featuring John Lennon on vocals!

I can't say that it does! Of Liam's songs Born on A Different Cloud is the most Lennon-esque I think.

The "Lyla" B-side "Won't Let You Down" is even more Lennonesque, I think. It and "Guess God Thinks I'm Abel" are both brilliant. Liam's really coming along.

Speaking of stolen beats, "Mucky Fingers" is so obviously "Waiting for the Man" and the drums in "A Bell Will Ring" remind me a lot of "Tomorrow Never Knows." Man, I love these guys.

I love A Bell Will Ring, the drums you mention sound like bricks being dropped on a pavement,:evil: and Mucky Fingers has some of Noel's best lyrics ever, and also a different take on the Oasis wall-of-sound approach.

I think people aren't keen on SOTSOG for two main reasons:

1. To borrow the words of a NME reviewer, some of the songs are merely "simple sketches" that should have been embelished upon but were not. (see Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is). This perhaps gave it a rushed, unfinished feel that conveyed the impression that they just didn't care.

2. Some people didn't like the sound of SOTSOG. It was very psychodelic (sp?) and quite a dark album.

Personally, I kinda like the angsty feel to much of the album and quite enjoy the 'far out man' effects on songs like Who Feels Love? But I'd have to agree that many of the songs do sound unfinished, the potential to be great but in the end only good for me, sorry!

As for DBTT, I'm enjoying it and I think that's the important thing but the single choices have been a bit :eyebrow: IMHO The Importance of Being Idle is very much an album track like many say Don't Look Back In Anger was. I wanna see some Liam tracks released because they're the ones that (again, borrowing the words of a reviewer) sound really "fresh" and different. I've already commented on TIOBI but to come back after 3 years with Lyla as the first single just seemed weird to me 'cos I don't think it's a 'Wow!' track. Whereas one of the Liam ones do sound quite un-Oasis (even though people will start the whole Beatles thing about them again) AND would get a lot of airplay as there are quite catchy.

Just my thoughts. :)

i've never heard any oasis songs, but since a lot of u2 and coldplay fans seem to like them a lot, i think i'll give it a try.
which songs do you guys recommend i start off with?

tuwie said:
i've never heard any oasis songs, but since a lot of u2 and coldplay fans seem to like them a lot, i think i'll give it a try.
which songs do you guys recommend i start off with?

Never heard an Oasis song!

Well I'm sure you've heard Wonderwall. You probably just don't know who the artist is. One of the most recognisable and defining songs of the 1990's.

It would seem logical to get 1994's Definitely Maybe first (being the debut album), but if you want to hear what is universally recognised as the band at their peak, then get (What's the Story) Morning Glory (1995).

If you're looking to download a few songs as a means of sampling Oasis, I suggest:

Rock and Roll Star
Supersonic
Morning Glory
Wonderwall
Be Here Now (song)
D'you know what I mean
Gas Panic!
The Meaning Of Soul

and the new single

The Importance of Being Idle

Oasis are one of the most maligned bands in the world, yet also one of those most exhillarating.

Okay so long story short when I heard Whats the story morning glory, I loved it, one of ym favourite albums of all time, the year I heard that album, they released HC and i hated it so much, except Little by little, and stop crying your heart out which i loved, a week ago i decided to get this album and well, it is brillant, and kicks ass over Coldplays X&Y, so IMO Oasis are back, Coldplay are finished

Did anyone see Oasis on tour this summer? I dont know if theres already a thread on them live.. but whatevs. I saw them at Milton Keynes, I wasn't hugely impressed to be honest, but maybe that was cos the last band I saw before them was U2 and they set the standard too high!:wink: Oasis didn't really seem to have much to give the audience other than the songs.. I know this is how they perform but it just made it a bit dull. Obviously the classics like Wonderwall were great and Champagne Supernova moved me to tears lol but thats a different matter. The Importance of Being Idle impressed me but the rest of the new songs weren't really up to par. Anyone else have an opinion?

LemonMelon said:
I really liked it. Lyla through...Part of The Queue is just amazing! :wink:

Part of the Queue kicks major ass, I'm glad there are people out there that dig it.

Badyouken said:
The only track I don't enjoy is Mucky Fingers because of the beat. It's a shame, since the vocals are great.

Anyway: great album!

'Mucky Fingers' sounds a lot like 'Waiting for the Man' by The Velvet Underground, at least the rhythm.

just got this email (or just actually read my mail!)

OASIS SET TO PLAY KROQ LOS ANGELES INLAND INVASION!
Sat, September 17th - KROQ Inland Invasion
Glen Helen Hyundai Pavilion
2575 Glen Helen Parkway
Los Angeles, CA 92407 (Devore, CA)
Public On-Sale is the 20th of August @ Noon
Pre-Sale open to KROQ.com database members only
More details found here - WWW.KROQ.COM
Tickets will be available @ Ticketmaster.com

HOUSE OF BLUES - ATLANTIC CITY PRE-SALE STARTS MONDAY, 8/22
Mon, October 3rd
House of Blues - Atlantic City
801 Boardwalk
Atlantic City, NJ 08401
Music Today pre-sale starts @ 8 am EST on Monday, August 22 online here!
Public on-sale Sat, Aug 27th @ 10 am EST
Tickets available here: www.Ticketmaster.com, www.hob.com, charge by phone at 1-800-736-1420 and all Ticketmaster outlets

GET MORE 2005 OASIS DATES ON THE TOUR PAGES:
AT THE US SITE: www.oasisus.com
AND AT: www.oasisinet.com

:rockon:

I seen oasis in ireland and i would'nt care if i seen them again.I saw them in cork 96 and dublin 97,yes they were good,but marlay park this year they were average to say the least.It's a poor venue and doesn't suit a decent bill

Back
Top Bottom