oasis appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yertle-the-turtle

ONE love, blood, life
say what you want about them, i think they're an excellent band. definitely maybe is still one of the greatest albums anyone has ever put out, and acquiesece, step out, and talk tonight are quality for b-sides. live forever.

I've always considered them to be quite a consistent group, but that consistency has been taken as a lack of imagination by the majority of the music world. Stop Crying Your Heart Out and Little By Little have been the first songs where I've thought 'oh dear, they're trying to copy themselves here...', so on the strength of that they might be on the way out. I'd still like to see them live someday.

I quite enjoy their first 3 albums. Those 3 all have tons of great songs on them. The first 2 are virtually flawless.

I had tickets for an Oasis gig last September but because of Bali it was cancelled. The press here slammed them as cowards, which I thought was a bit unfair.

I love Oasis. I got a little tired of them like I did U2, though, so I don't listen to them as much anymore. The only Oasis album I really don't like is SOTSOG, but it's OK, used to be one of my favorites. Morning Glory is amazing, Definitely Maybe is a great debut, and Heathen Chemistry is quite solid. Also, BHN is quite underrated. I'd like to see them revisit this album and maybe do some different mixing and production. My only qualm is that because of all the background noise, the thing sounds like crap when it gets really loud, unlike Heathen Chemistry which just sounds better. Anyway, the band itself is nothing new or inventive, but that said, is really good at what it does. Noel's gift I think is more in the line of melodies than mind-blowing lyrics, though he has hit a few high points. Now if only we could get Liam to take better care of his voice...

my boring and predictable reply

first two: yeah very good indeed

thereafter: boring and cr@p

but since this is so predictable and boring there must be some truth in it, innit?

OASIS RULE. No-one appreciates the talent there and sees only the loud mouthed, arrogant, fighting exterior. They are the best live band ive ever seen. Noel is a VERY underrated singer-songwriter and they have consistently released top quality indie/rock/anthems for the last 10 years.

A recent poll on a radio station had three Oasis songs in the top 15 including number 1 and 4! I know its complete rubbish but hey, just thought id mention it.

For those who havnt heard these I recommend listening to them NOW.
Solve My Mystery. Never released but found on bootleg's.
Fade Away - A different, more bleak Oasis
Whatever. It has been brought to my atention that not enough people know this song even though it was released as a single.

OASIS RULE

I own Definitely Maybe, WTSMG, and Heathen Chemistry, and I really like all three. As a whole album, WTSMG is my favorite, but I agree with Unforgettable Lemon that DM and HC are rock solid. My favorite songs would have to be Slide Away, Live Forever, WTSMG, Cast No Shadow, and Little by Little. They're a great rock band when all the controversy and egos aren't getting in the way.

oasis are absolutely amazing! dm and wtsmg are 2 of the best albums around. bhn is definatetly underrated. it's an excellent album which i have no idea why it is slagged so much by everyone including noel.

sotsog is my least favorite cd by them but it still has some top quality tunes on it. hc is quite good but i got a bit tired of it. maybe in a year or 2 i'll think differently about it.

for anyone who hasn't seen them live.....GO! i find that all you hear is that they don't have much stage presence and all they do is stand there. even though they dont do all this running and jumping around like other bands...there is so much energy at the show with the fans getting so hype up that it makes the show so much better. and also a lot of their songs sound so much better live that oasis live in concert should not be missed.

there's my 2 cents worth....thanks yertle. it's about time we had an oasis appriciation thread around here. :applaud:

I've had the pleasure of seeing them twice live. Absolutely amazing! If you have a chance to go to a show, even if you're not a big fan, do it...you won't regret it. Just good old loud Rock'n'roll.

I have all their albums, and all the singles except from Heathen Chemistry (a great album title btw imo). I personally thought that SOTSOG was a great album, mabye even better than Heathen Chemistry. There are some jems on Heathen, but I think that these last two albums have been inconsistant, and yes, as Brittig noted, they've begun to repeat themselves a tad bit. Oasis doing Oasis is a bit of a letdown.

I listened to Be Here Now recently, and what struck me is that underneath the bombastic overproduction that ruined the album is a set of really good songs. Binging on coke during the making of that album, and coming off a tour supporting Morning Glory, undoubtably one of the best rock albums ever, it's not surprising that Noel's fueled ego resulted in the production failure that is BHN.

I suspect that Oasis isn't done by far. Part of me says that the next album will be there last (they've hinted that), but the chemistry of the band has changed so much, and Noel isn't holding on such a tight fist (maybe an indication that he's bored) that I suspect the sound of Oasis is going to change a bit. I see it turning more towards blues and Neil Young sounding than some of their earlier stuff.

Noel talked a while back about doing a solo album, but I doubt that it would be very good. I suspect that he's one of these artists who had a bunch of jems in his head, but unlike the real genius's, he can't keep producing them. Nothing from their last few albums has felt the was a song like Slide Away, or Cast No Shadow, or Whatever for that matter did. I agree that their first two albums are unbeatable as debuts for a band. When you hit that hard that fast as a band and as a songwriter, it's very hard to keep that type of creativity and energy up.

That being said, the influx of new band members, and Liam actuallly writing some songs (note to Liam: please stop writing Little James and Songbird type songs...they really are b-sides at best and should stay there!) that are good could bring a whole new dimension to the band, as I mentioned earlier.

It's interesting to see how Oasis has come to terms with never breaking into America. There's a strong underground following over here, but they lack the popular support that they need to make it. They seem to be okay with that now, i.e. saying "fuck america, we don't need them". Sadly in Britian, I think they're living on past accomplishments and reputation rather than being a big, ongoing influence in the music scene now.

I thought that Heathen Chemistry might bring them back into the fold in America, and touring with the Black Crowes might bring them added exposure, but sadly, it wasn't to be so. They will always be remembered for two songs over here, both Rock classics: Live Forever, and Wonderwall.

They may have a renissance if their next album is a real jem, which I think it just might be. I have this feeling that they're getting back on the right track, musically, songwriting wise, and as a band. I look forward to their next release, and hope to see them show the world once again why they are such a good band.

For me, they hold a special place in my music collection. They're the first band I followed from the beginning of their career. I collected all their singles etc. and it's been fun to watch them evolve as I've grown up with them. Kindof like some of the older U2 fans around here. No matter what they do, there will always be that connection for me to Oasis in a way that U2 won't. I came in ten years into the making of U2, so I missed out on a lot. With Oasis, I was there from the first time I saw the video for Live Forever, and have stayed with them through the ride.

Oasis has had a unique underground influence on a generation of songwriters, most of whom won't admit it. Noel's obsession with the G/Eminor/C chords (and I can't think at the moment of the correct technical names for the particular chords...but you know, the ones from Wonderwall) are something I have seen many many many artists and songwriters replicate. He wasn't the first to use them by any means, but they appear to have become increasingly popular and, must I say, overused since that song became popular. Even my guitar teacher commented when I started with him that I was using the Oasis/Noel Gallagher G major using my fourth finger, which technically isn't correct. He said that he's seen it a lot since they became popular.

I think I've rambled on enough... :rolleyes:

Is it my imagination
Or have I finally found something worth living for?
I was looking for some action
But all I found was cigarettes and alcohol

You could wait for a lifetime
To spend your days in the sunshine
You might as well do the white line
Cos when it comes on top...

You gotta make it happen!

Is it worth the aggravation
To find yourself a job when there's nothing worth working for?
It's a crazy situation
But all I need are cigarettes and alcohol!

You could wait for a lifetime
To spend your days in the sunshine
You might as well do the white line
Cos when it comes on top...

You gotta make it happen!

The period of 94-96 was such an exciting time because of Oasis. They were fresh, full of attitude and volume, put out 2 great records.

I personally think WTSMG is the best rock album ever. Everything about it is amazing. The artwork is superb and the bit of writing on the inside cover is truly beautiful and inspiring. Anyone who has never read it should read it asap.
Its a pure summer anthemic album untouched by enything that has gone before or after it.

For me DM is amazing. There are amazing songs on it (especially my limited edition with WHATEVER on it!) but it gets a little samey after a while. I mean its still one of my favourite albums ever and songs like Rock 'n Roll Star, Live Forever and Slide Away are true classics. Thats tyhe only reason why i prefer WTSMG

BHN is vastly underrated but the songs just dont know how to end. Its overindulgent and 10 minutes for All Around The World is ridiculous given that its over after 4 and a half!! I couldnt agree more that BHN is just over produced. The songs are good but they are not maximised. I really love Magic Pie, D'you know what i mean and I hope, i think , i know. Great songs but too cliche'd too produced and lets be honest, how do you live up to WTSMG?

SOTSOG? Some great songs, some weak songs. Fucking in the bushes is one of the best instrumentals ever imo, Gas Panic is a great song as is Where did it all go wrong? But Put your money where your mouth is and I can see a liar are shocking and the less said about Little James the better! The demo sessions are superb though. The tracklisting i think was weak. Could have done a lot better.

On HC Oasis moved forward again by moving back. Back to the roots of good songs, played loud. Im not a big fan of Songbird at all but Liam's other two songs are great and show real promise. Still, Oasis should not move too far away from Noel. He is the man that made them what they are, and Liam is a lazy sod who cant be trusted to do what he needs to.

The B-sides are where its at to me though. Every single single is brilliant because it contains superb songs as b-sides. How many bands do that? I have 12 bootlegged albums as well and they are also amazing. Oasis are much more than the sum of their albums. They are an identity to millions of young men, a live band without equal and I believe that Noel will continue to be the spokesman for this/last generation for the next 50 years.

Im off to get re-aquanted with all my Oasis!!!

(Anyone who hasnt seen Oasis live must rectify this immediately, otherwise you will regret it!!!!)

I was disappointed, to say the least, with their live album Familiar to Millions.

:|

I love Oasis. :up:

My favorite song - Supersonic:

I need to be myself
I can't be no one else
I'm feeling supersonic
Give me gin and tonic
You can have it all but how much do you want it?
You make me laugh
Give me your autograph
Can I ride with you in your B.M.W ?
You can sail with me in my yellow submarine

You need to find out
'Cos no one's gonna tell you what I'm on about
You need to find a way for what you want to say
But before tomorrow

'Cos my friend said he'd take you home
He sits in a corner all alone
He lives under a waterfall
No body can see him
No body can ever hear him call

You need to be yourself
You can't be no one else
I know a girl called Elsa
She's into Alka Seltzer
She sniffs it through a cane on a supersonic train
She made me laugh
I got her autograph
She done it with a doctor on a helicopter
She's sniffin in her tissue
Sellin' the Big Issue

She needs to find out
'Cos no one's gonna tell you what I'm on about
She needs to find a way for what she wants to say
But before tomorrow

'Cos my friend said he'd take you home
He sits in a corner all alone
He lives under a waterfall
No body can see him
No body can ever hear him call

I think Oasis still has gas in the tank. I mean, this is the first album where Bell and Gem actually participated in. I think the Stones-ish themes/ sound should be explored further.

I think Heathen Chemistry or SOTSOG could have been strong sales-wise but they just didn't have that radio single to push the album. You had Live Forever (during the alt-rock era) and WTSMG hits. As good as some of the songs were on they're later albums, you need that one song IMO to catch people's attention.

I love Oasis though and think it would be a shame if they didn't stay together.

theSoulfulMofo said:
I was disappointed, to say the least, with their live album Familiar to Millions.

:|

Shocking :eek: I don't have the cd in front of me, but if I'm not mistaken, Gas Panic on that album is brrriiiiillllliiiiiaaaaannnntttttt. Actually, I couldn't disagree with you more, I think FTM is great. True, it's not as good as...shit, I can't remember the name of their previous live video, but not as good as that one, and their earlier video (god, I'm showing my not-with-it-ness right now) live by the sea I believe is the title is a classic. But FTM is still pretty good imo, although the video sound quality as compared to the cd is crap. Anyone check out the DVD? How's the sound on that?

Take the time to make some sense
Of what you want to say
And cast your words away upon the waves
Sail them home with acquiesce
On a ship of hope today
And as they land upon the shore
Tell them not to fear no more
Say it loud and sing it proud
Today...

And then dance if you want to dance
Please brother take a chance
You know they're gonna go
Which way they wanna go
All we know is that we don't know --
How it's gonna be
Please brother let it be
Life on the other hand won't let us understand
We're all part of the masterplan

Today...
I'm not saying right is wrong
It's up to us to make
The best of all the things that come our way
Coz everything that's been has past
The answer's in the looking glass
There's four and twenty million doors
On life's endless corridor
And they...

Will dance if they want to dance
Please brother take a chance
You know they're gonna go
Which way they wanna go
All we know is that we don't know --
How it's gonna be
Please brother let it be
Life on the other hand won't let you understand
Why we're all part of the masterplan

Blinding lyrics, blinding song. Noel showing his genius

FAde Away

When I was young i though i had my own key
I knew exactly what i wanted to be
Now im sure
youve gotta unlock every door

If there a problem things were never ending
Its like i shoulda found my life worth spending
Time to see was real
Now i know much about the way I feel

I'll paint you a picture cos i dont think you live round here no more
Ive never even seen the key to the door
We only get what we will settle for

While we're living
The dreams we have as children
Fade Away

I missed this thread the first time around, so here are my two cents on Oasis. For me, Oasis is a very close second after U2. They are definitely a great fucking rock band. Noel is an amazing/underrated guitarist and songwriter. In the last Propaganda magazine, Bono even said that Noel writes some of the best tunes. Liam's a great frontman. Very unique voice. I know that everyone gives them crap for the egos and all the controversy, but seriously, without all that Oasis just wouldn't be Oasis. I think its just another element of the band. If they were like any other band, and didn't speak their minds like Liam and Noel always do, I probably wouldn't like them as much as I do now. Along with their great songs, all the other stuff just adds to the legend of Oasis. I personally love all their albums. I think Be Here Now and SOTSOG are both VERY underrated. Songs like Stand By Me, Don't Go Away, All Around the World, Gas Panic, Where Did It All Go Wrong, and Sunday Morning Call are all classics. And the new album is great also. Stop Crying Your Heart Out and Little By Little are amazing. I really can't understand why Oasis aren't huge in America. I hear the shit on the radio, and every Oasis song is 10 times better. And I guess Oasis just gave up trying to break America. I've never seen them live (I was supposed to last summer but my concert got cancelled) but after watching their DVDs, there's no doubt that they're amazing in concert. I would've loved to seen the PoPmart show when Oasis opened for U2 (I think it was in Oakland). The two best bands in the world. And even their b-sides are unbelievable. The Masterplan, what an amazing fucking song. Well, there's my rant on how great Oasis is

Slide away - and give it all you've got
My today - fell in from the top
I dream of you - and all the things you say
I wonder where you are now?

Hold me down - all the world's asleep
I need you now - you've knocked me off my feet
I dream of you - we talk of growing old
But you said please don't !

Slide in baby - together we'll fly
I've tried praying - and I know just what you're saying to me

Now that you're mine
I'll find a way
Of chasing the sun
Let me be the one that shines with you
In the morning when you don't know what to do
Two of a kind
We'll find a way
To do what we've done

And we can slide away.

Slide away - and give it all you've got
My today - fell in from the top
I dream of you - and all the things you say
I wonder where you are now?

Slide in baby - together we'll fly
I've tried praying - and I know just what you're saying to me

Now that you're mine
I'll find a way
Of chasing the sun
In the morning when you don't know what to do
Two of a kind We'll find a way
To do what we've done

:bow:

I listened to WTSMG this weekend, after not having listened to it in awhile. Damn--what a great rock album. Not one weak tune on it!

:bow: Oasis :bow:

Back
Top Bottom