Oasis!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That would be great if they did go back to older B-sides. Frankly, I think they're going to have to. And they've just got to include Sad Song, Round Are Way and Up in the Sky (acoustic). :drool:

Just cause I'm loving this thread, I figured I'd post in here again. Just wanted to say that I think Noel Gallagher is one of the most underrated songwrites ever. I love the melodies & lyrics he comes up with. Sure, sometimes his lyrics can be complete nonsense (even he admits that) but the tunes that man turns out are amazing. Currently, I can't stop listening to (You've Got) The Heart Of A Star. Great, great song. If anyone's ever feeling down on themselves just give this song a listen and pay attention to the uplifting lyrics...

Never gonna get along hanging out thinking out loud
You never gonna get it on and be someone stuck in that crowd
So you call out the feelings you hope that don't never exist
But don't be ashamed of your bones and your blisters

So come on come on my brothers and sisters
Cos you can only be what you are
And you've got the heart of a star
But the light never hits ya
And I said come on come on my brothers and sisters
If you could see what I could see maybe we could all get along

And maybe I could justify the bad things in life that I've done
So I call out the feelings I know that don't ever exist
I wont be ashamed of my bones and my blisters

So come on come on my brothers and sisters.
Cos you've got the heart the heart of a star
But the light never hits ya.

And I said come on come on my brothers and sisters...

And the slower that you go
The greener the grass grows
And what we all need is love in our lives.
So go about your business
Cos life aint your mistress

Come on, come on my brothers and sisters
Cos you've got the heart of a star
But the light never hits ya

So be all you can
And just hold up your hands
Someday you'll understand why life never kissed ya
And I said come on come on my brothers and sisters
Come on, come on my brothers and sisters

I said come on come on my brothers and sisters

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

TheQuiet1, this one's for you mate...beautiful song....

Idler's Dream
Oasis

My heart it skips a beat when I behold
The light that's shining through your eyes of gold
From heavenly blood you seem to spring
From heavenly waters you can drink

I'll meet you on a day that never ends
I'll greet you in a way that heaven meant
You lay me down gently on the leaves
You cover me over in my sleep

I never did say that I wish I could
I never could pray cos it's just no good
I hope you don't break my heart of stone
I don't wanna scream out loud
And wake up on my own

And as I close my eyes
And the sky turns red
I realise just what you are
You're an idlers dream
And you're singing Shangri la
Shangri la
Shangri la
Shangri la

The melody that goes with these lyrics is just amazing....:drool:

Noel is the one of the greatest songwriter's in Rock And Roll history....

I love Carry Us All, I love the line...

Everybody's Gone For a quick surefire solution,
But faith in any God is gonna bury us all

No lyric has ever summed up how I feel so accurately...

U2One said:
Currently, I can't stop listening to (You've Got) The Heart Of A Star.

I got addicted to this for ages too. This part of the song is my favourite. Just the way Noel sings it, it's perfectly done. :heart:

U2One said:

And the slower that you go
The greener the grass grows
And what we all need is love in our lives.

U2One said:
TheQuiet1, this one's for you mate...beautiful song....

:hug:

I remember the first time I heard this song. It just seemed so unlike any song they'd done before. No soaring chorus, no rocking guitar, heck, not even any guitar! Just pure, pure gentleness. I know Oasis have done many 'gentle' and tender songs before but not like this, it's one of the best songs they've ever done and then they hide it away as a B-side!! Typical Oasis. But that's what I like about them, that to them "A B-side was no reason not to care" it was just as important that the song sounded good as it would be for an A-side. If only U2 still gave B-sides that same importance...

what's the song that plays before oasis comes on stage??

no really, I want to know, I saw them thursday, killer show, the best was when they did My Generation as a closer...sweeeeeet...they rocked it

AtomicBono said:

no really, I want to know, I saw them thursday, killer show, the best was when they did My Generation as a closer...sweeeeeet...they rocked it
You mean the song RIGHT before they take the stage? It's called Fucking In The Bushes and it's from their fourth album - Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants.

I saw them on Monday. Amazing show, as always :drool:

kafrun said:

You mean the song RIGHT before they take the stage? It's called Fucking In The Bushes and it's from their fourth album - Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants.

haha, really? nice. see, I don't actually have many of their albums, but I might want to get more now that I've seen them live :up: thanks

AtomicBono said:

haha, really? nice. see, I don't actually have many of their albums, but I might want to get more now that I've seen them live :up: thanks
Really? Lots to discover :yes: If you don't have Definitely Maybe, go get it NOW :madwife: That or The Masterplan, which is a collection of their earlier b-sides. Oasis b-sides = :drool:

Just a couple suggestions :)

AtomicBono said:

thursday was a great show, a bit better than wednesday. i loved the venue (the murat theater)....probably the best sounding acoustics i've ever heard......u2 should play there

I want to make one thing clear before I start- Everything I know about drumming could be written in invisible ink on the back of postage stamp. Basically, I know nothing about it.

But I still want to ask what you lot make of Zak Starkey's drumming? Because to me it just doesn't sound right at all...is he really the fantastic drummer that some people make him out to be? :huh:

:bump:

Noel's Oasis despair

Noel Gallagher has admitted he and his Oasis bandmates became "directionless" after their massive Knebworth concerts.

Oasis played two famous shows in front of 250,000 people at Knebworth in August 2006 - the biggest gigs in UK history at the time - following the incredible success of their first two albums.
(I think the author meant to say 1996 above)

But guitarist Noel has admitted that the band struggled with the pressure of matching their mid-nineties success in the years that followed.

He told Uncut: "At the time, doing the biggest ever gigs in England, 'Morning Glory' being the biggest album in British history, it was like, 'Well, what now?'

"I remember sitting there, at Knebworth, in the backstage area, and someone saying, 'Well, what now?' And I was like, 'I couldn't tell ya.'

"And that was how I felt for a good couple of years afterwards, I really suffered.

"It's like, what do you do when you've done everything? I suppose it's like getting a massive, massive pay rise and buying everything you want.

"What do you do after that? You kind of sink into boredom. Kind of directionless."

Meanwhile, Noel has confirmed he is to play an intimate acoustic gig for charity Mencap at the Union Chapel in Islington on November 26.

The gig will be part of the Little Noise Sessions curated by Jo Whiley and tickets go on sale at 9am on Saturday (October 7).

MacPhistoPT said:
Oasis are a great band to discover. When I left my preconceptions about the Gallagher brothers, I was able to realize how good they are

I didn't really listen to them as I was always reading things about them in magazines and I decided that I wouldn't like the based on the sort of people they seemed to be.
Now I'm a big fan, and I don't care :lol: !

Which do you think is better? This version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1owFY7Mp98&NR

or the one that appeared on Be Here Now?

I just wish someone had reined Oasis in a bit on Be Here Now. I love the songs on it but they're all so long and crammed full of production effects that when they're all together on one album it simply doesn't work, it's just a bit much. If only they'd done stripped down versions for songs like Stand By Me and Don't Go Away and left the fancy bits to D'Yer Know What I Mean and All Around The World then I think Be Here Now could've been right up there with WTSMG and Definitely Maybe.

You are right on the money with Be Here Now. A potential classic, but as it stands its just really good to put in everyonce in a while

Oasis can be :drool: or :| .

For that little space in time when they had Definitely Maybe, Morning Glory, and Acquiesce as most of their repertoire, they were brilliant. After that...they were iffy. SOTSOG was good, as was DBTT, but neither could touch the first two. :drool:

Gallagher revisits band's legacy in a longtime Oasis

I didn't know about this until I read a review in the L.A. Times about it on 11/11 :grumpy:

Gallagher revists band's legacy in a longtime oasis

By Richard Cromelin, Times Staff Writer

This has been quite a week for special performances by feisty leaders of turbulent British rock bands.

First, the Who's Pete Townshend anchored an intimate Tuesday show at the tiny Hotel Café in Hollywood. And on Thursday, Oasis' primary songwriter and lead guitarist, Noel Gallagher, took over the 1,400-seat Wadsworth Theatre in Brentwood, revisiting his star-crossed band's legacy and promoting a new best-of album.

It was a fitting convergence. Though separated by a generation and a different taste in musical models, the Who and Oasis have a lot in common: a spirit of ambition and an urge to greatness, a torch-bearing passion to embody the best of British rock, a volatile dynamic among the membership. They even share a drummer, Zak Starkey, though the son of Ringo has yet to be named an "official" member of Oasis.

Of course, the big difference is that the Who attained that greatness, both commercially and culturally, and Oasis, despite its revered stature in Britain and its popularity elsewhere in the world, foundered in its campaign to conquer the U.S. during its mid-'90s prime.

Gallagher jokingly alluded to that stigma during the Wadsworth show, a free concert sponsored by radio station KDLD-FM (Indie 103.1). As it happens, this is one American city that's an exception, a market supportive enough to have made Oasis a Hollywood Bowl headliner its last time through.

So the theater's close quarters made the one-hour-plus set (preceded by a screening of a new Oasis documentary, "Lord Don't Slow Me Down") a special occasion for the fans, who engaged in playful (mostly) verbal sparring with the artist throughout the show.

Sitting on a chair and playing mainly acoustic guitars, supported by drummer Terry Kirkbride and Oasis' Gem Archer on guitar and organ, Gallagher played a career-spanning program that, in typical contrary fashion, was front-loaded with a few songs that aren't even on "Stop the Clocks," the anthology CD that will be released here Nov. 21.

He also sang the Beatles' "Strawberry Fields Forever," a vivid acknowledgement of the muse that pervades virtually all of his music. There was also a little Kinks, circa "Sunny Afternoon," in "The Importance of Being Idle," and he gave "Wonderwall" a moody, understated reading.

Gallagher's melodic instincts and distinctive way with chord progressions helped keep the show afloat despite the limited range in tone and texture, and his authentically working-class, roughhewn voice made every lyric believable. His brother Liam, Oasis' lead singer, may have the powerful snarl and rock star attitude, but Noel seems closer to the heart of his songs.

The heart of the best of them, this bare-bones display reminded fans, touches some of rock's most relevant concerns — trying to make a connection with other souls and the struggle for survival and dignity in an indifferent world. Oasis might have fallen short of its dream, but its legacy is secure.

wish I had known about it...

More Oasis News:

According to Noel:

"There'll probably be an EP out in mid to late 2007, and a new studio album in 2008, which we can't postpone 'cause we haven't started it yet. We do have some rather excellent songs written though, so I think it'll be a good 'un".

:hmm: Though what Noel says will happen and what actually does happen are often two very different things!

Back
Top Bottom