Now that I like the Beatles, which album should I get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl91289

War Child
My best friend has turned me into a Beatles fan through watching a Hard day's Night, and listening to Help. I never realized how good they were- but not as good as U2! I want to buy one of their albums, but I don't know which to get first. What is a good "starter album" Thanks!

Hmm...well Abbey Road is my favorite. But they're all great. I prefer their later work more than their early 60s stuff, just because I just find them more interesting in their experimental modes. Most people would probably tell you to start with Sgt. Pepper. Revolver is also an excellent place to start...regardless, I really don't think you can go wrong with any album you pick!

There's two double CD sets you should get. The Beatles 1962-1966 and 1967-1970. You can't go wrong with those. I actually don't own any of the albums since I have both of the CD sets plus 1, which is great, so I can't help you as to which actual album to get.

the only way to answer this question: all of them.

here's some more reasonable answers: help! was the first album i ever bought, and it worked for me as a good 'starting place'.

arw, you can go wrong with those two sets. they're rotten starting points. as is gettng the #1 hits compilation. past masters vol 1 &2 have more than just the big hits/singles, just don't start with the hits. it's like with u2, would you really want someone to start with the best ofs? of course not. they're missing far too much, best ofs are for very casual fans, or die hard fans who have to own EVERYTHING.

and if you've suddenly become a fan because of the movie a hard day's night, then may i suggest eiher the album by the same name or 'with the beatles'.

IWasBored said:

arw, you can go wrong with those two sets. they're rotten starting points.

I think they are great starting points because you get a little of everything and then when you find stuff you really like is when you'd go buy the individual albums. That's what I did with U2. Bought the first Best Of and found a few songs I really liked so I figured the whole album would be something I liked too, and I did. The only problem with the Beatles double CD sets is they are expensive because it's two CD's each.

hey, if it works, then it works. i won't be the one to argue with you (arw) that it's bad for everyone if buying the best of 80-90 turned you into the huge u2 fan that you are today. maybe it's my music-snobbery talking, but i'm of the mind that best ofs are not the ideal place to start when you first start listning to a band. my feeling is that it just breeds countless quasi-fans who only like/know the big hits, and usually by the time they get around to finding another album, you've moved on and are asking for reccomendations for music by another band. and i'm not being sarcastic, arw, you're a far 'better' u2 fan than i am, you know that.

THE WHITE ALBUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This or possibly Pink Floyd's The Wall has to be the best double album of all time.

I'd reccomend buying the Past Masters stuff or the the red and blue compilations. I'm pretty ambivalent about Best of albums but that's how I got started. Some of the experimental stuff can sound dated though and if you're starting from "Help," it's probably best to start simple b/c some of their albums can be quite out there. I mean I love the B-Side to Abbey Road but to many it sounds to chaotic... Nothing wrong with getting into the pop hits b/c they are all classics and you can build from there.

u2popmofo said:
THE WHITE ALBUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This or possibly Pink Floyd's The Wall has to be the best double album of all time.

Not London Calling? :ohmy:

I would have never expected that from you!

Popmartijn said:

Not London Calling? :ohmy:

I would have never expected that from you!

I've never seen London Calling being sold as a double album, so I've never considered it one.

I guess it was a double originally on vinyl? I have no clue.

u2popmofo said:
I guess it was a double originally on vinyl? I have no clue.

Yes it was. Just like Rattle & Hum (and 1999 and some others).

But anyway, back to The Beatles. At the moment I only have 1 and Live At The BBC. I think 1 is a good starter. Not just because it has many of their popular songs on it, but also because it has non-album tracks (it collects their #1 singles) and it gives a good overview of their whole carreer, including the experimentation.
As for 'regular' albums, I would go with A Hard Day's Night (the only Beatles album where all songs are Lennon/McCartney compositions) or Rubber Soul. But all their other albums are great too.

C ya!

Marty

Don't bother with any compilations (except the two essential Past Masters volumes). The Beatles made albums. Get the albums.

My favorite (and my first) is Revolver. McCartney becomes a master of melodies with that album. The White Album is also great (and so much better than The Wall that it's silly to even compare them as if they were on the same level) if you want something more experimental and from the psychedelic half of their career. Rubber Soul is a good choice if you want something catchy and accessible.

Last edited:
typhoon said:
Don't bother with any compilations (except the two essential Past Masters volumes). The Beatles made albums. Get the albums.

My favorite (and my first) is Revolver. McCartney becomes a master of melodies with that album. The White Album is also great (and so much better than The Wall that it's silly to even compare them as if they were on the same level) if you want something more experimental and from the psychedelic half of their career. Rubber Soul is a good choice if you want something catchy and accessible.

:up:

The Past Masters are great...I especially love Lennon's vocal on Slow Down, which was a cover. Great performance.

For your first Beatles album, you should pick one that is accessible, while also in their top 3 or 4. For this reason, you should go with Rubber Soul. This is the album that started the revolution. This is the album that introduced pop sophistication to the world, and started a quantum leap of sorts by spurring competition with the likes of The Beach Boys.

As for the best Beatles album, it's debatable, but Revolver constantly makes the top of the "Best Album of all Time" lists.

Michael Griffiths said:
For your first Beatles album, you should pick one that is accessible, while also in their top 3 or 4. For this reason, you should go with Rubber Soul. This is the album that started the revolution. This is the album that introduced pop sophistication to the world, and started a quantum leap of sorts by spurring competition with the likes of The Beach Boys.

As for the best Beatles album, it's debatable, but Revolver constantly makes the top of the "Best Album of all Time" lists.

It sounds like you basically summed up what everyone else was saying. I think I'll try to get Rubber Soul, revolver, or The White Album. Thanks for the help everyone!

The White Album and Revolver will take a bit of digestion, a bit of getting used to - as they are more complex. Rubber Soul, however, is more of an instant pop/rock classic. Rubber Soul includes 'In My Life', one of my favourite all time Beatles songs. Bono said the album was the blue print for ATYCLB. Good luck!

I have "Help!" and "Rubber soul" albums (I think "Help" was my starting album). Used to have Revolver but didn't do much for me.

I enjoy the "Anthology" double CDs too.

I have Let It Be, Abby Road and 1967-1970 on vinyl, I recommend those albums plus you should get Revolver, Rubber Soul, The White Album and Sgt Peppers.

I'm just saying

Michael Griffiths said:
you should go with Rubber Soul. This is the album that started the revolution. This is the album that introduced pop sophistication to the world, and started a quantum leap of sorts by spurring competition with the likes of The Beach Boys.
or just get into the Beach Boys instead

even Paul Mc Cartney knows that the beatles never reached the heights of Pet Sounds

Back
Top Bottom