noticeable absence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobayashi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
can anyone say why the russian's did not come out after the men's hockey this afternoon to recieve their bronze?

was this perhaps some sort of retaliation for the stripping of the medal from the blood-doping cross country skiier?

ya they wouldnt show up...

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

ummm, seeing as the Russian contingent has been pretty upset lately, it doesn't surprise me. Still...if their skiiers are doping up, how can they be so indignant at having medals taken away? Same thing happened to Muelleg of Spain. ah well.

I was wondering that too, but had it been a 'boycott' don't ya think they would have mentioned their absense?
I didn't see the bornze medal game, but did they perchance receive their medal yesterday?

Originally posted by Angel:
I was wondering that too, but had it been a 'boycott' don't ya think they would have mentioned their absense?
I didn't see the bornze medal game, but did they perchance receive their medal yesterday?

maybe but i have never seen it done that way.

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
they received their Bronze after the Bronze Medal Game yesterday, standard procedure

Forgive us for not knowing that.

well i've watched a lot of olympics and i've never seen that done.
case in point the swedish team coming back out following the women's hockey gold medal.

unequivocal photo evidence:
020223_ih_bronze_06.jpg

my apologies. i have never seen that done before, is it not more customary to show up and recieve the medal in the presence of the winning nation and hear their anthem?

Originally posted by kobayashi:
... is it not more customary to show up and recieve the medal in the presence of the winning nation and hear their anthem?

Maybe Wanderer will answer that for us. He seems to know everything.

At first I thought that they were boycotting the event, but the gentleman giving out the medals was the Russian IOC member, so I don't think that he would be there if that was the case.

Perhaps they weren't there because it was so late in the games. Alot of the nhl teams started practises yesterday.

------------------
***Spinny***
"OH, SINNY- er,um- SPINNY!" (freudian slip?)-JulyFly

"Here I go and I don't know why
I spin so ceaselessly
Could it be he's taken over me????
"

Originally posted by spinninghead77:
At first I thought that they were Perhaps they weren't there because it was so late in the games. Alot of the nhl teams started practises yesterday.

Yeah, that's it. Brian Williams on CBC said they wanted to go back to their NHL teams ASAP.
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom