Northernmost Fjord Of Xzfgiiizmtsath Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Every time I try to settle in and read some of this book, King writes something I find hilarious and I can't take it seriously:

"Shut Up!" Lloyd screamed. "I ain't your mother! Your mother's in charge of blowjobs at a whorehouse in Asshole, Indiana!"

That is all.

See, at least piss would be yellow! You like yellow...

I never suspected a thing.

... the tram doors in the new Yarra Trams livery are yellow too. And there's now a green leaf. But still predominantly white. SNOOZE.

(And let's not forget the new Windows XPtastic logo.)

Every time I try to settle in and read some of this book, King writes something I find hilarious and I can't take it seriously:

"Shut Up!" Lloyd screamed. "I ain't your mother! Your mother's in charge of blowjobs at a whorehouse in Asshole, Indiana!"

That is all.

Stephen King's full of the respect, it seems. I think the thread must go to Asshole, Indiana one of these days.

That is all.

... Is this post-accident King?

Yellow doors are worth something, surely...

The D class trams look laughable! Basically, they just slapped yellow doors and the XP logo on the old livery.

20091130-fssw-d1-3512.jpg

What.

*attempts to enjoy having more posts than Ax in a thread, however briefly*

I'm... scared.... :uhoh:

Treasure this moment.

I'm sure we have loads of HD channels, but no HD TV.

I honestly couldn't see a difference on my aunt's HD TV. But maybe she didn't have HD channels. :lol:

(We were apparently flicking between 9 and 9 HD ... looked the same to me.)

Treasure this moment.
Say, whatever ever did happen to that Pete chap?

I honestly couldn't see a difference on my aunt's HD TV. But maybe she didn't have HD channels. :lol:

(We were apparently flicking between 9 and 9 HD ... looked the same to me.)

I honestly think it's a bit of a crock. You'd need a massive TV to tell the difference probably, and only on fast moving things like sport, possibly. Honestly, I never had a problem with the clarity of our TV signal. Who sat there watching a normal TV thinking "damn, this is unacceptably blurry if I use a huge magnifying glass! How can I make this definition higher??"?

Say, whatever ever did happen to that Pete chap?

LULZ.

I honestly think it's a bit of a crock. You'd need a massive TV to tell the difference probably, and only on fast moving things like sport, possibly. Honestly, I never had a problem with the clarity of our TV signal. Who sat there watching a normal TV thinking "damn, this is unacceptably blurry if I use a huge magnifying glass! How can I make this definition higher??"?

Yeah, that's the feeling I was getting. My mother reckons HD looks sharper, and she once went on about how she could see so many cracks and details in the pitch in a game of cricket she was watching ... I have to wonder if people just go looking for extra detail that they simply weren't paying attention to on normal TV.

I suppose I can't speak, being legally blind and all, but you'd think ANY improvement in image quality would be readily apparent to me as it would be even more advantageous than for a normally sighted person. I noticed NOTHING.

I'm most frustrated with the switch to digital though. I've no problem with my analogue TV. I'll replace it when I think it's inferior, thank you very much.

You still think I don't need to go to bed? ;)

I'm most frustrated with the switch to digital though. I've no problem with my analogue TV. I'll replace it when I think it's inferior, thank you very much.

That irks me also. It's one thing to make everyone change their electricity meter (since people don't actually own their meters anyway and they don't actually have to do anything), but yanking analogue transmissions when there are still a shitload of people who can't/don't want to afford a whole new TV when their old one is still perfectly good? WRONG.

You still think I don't need to go to bed? ;)

You're the one who suggested that you get chocolate to perk you up!

That irks me also. It's one thing to make everyone change their electricity meter (since people don't actually own their meters anyway and they don't actually have to do anything), but yanking analogue transmissions when there are still a shitload of people who can't/don't want to afford a whole new TV when their old one is still perfectly good? WRONG.

Exactly! It's not like the government subsidies cover the FULL price of a new TV or set-top box either. Now, my TV IS now starting to show its age and I'm thinking about a new one, but back in 2007 when things seemed to be all the more prominent? I was very happy with my TV and had no thought of change. If I could see digital as a tangible upgrade in quality, then I'd be onto it, but I don't see what digital is going to give me, an infrequent viewer, that analogue currently doesn't.

It'd be one thing if people were being Luddites about it (like I'm sure there were when metrification happened, for instance), but ... I'm not seeing any difference between digital and analogue. I guess digital now has more channels, which makes the change appealling. Again, back in 2007, when I was more pissed about this, the HD channels had almost zero difference in programming from the analogue ones.

It just kinda seems like change for change's sake... "Oh look we're doing something! We're making Australia technically cutting edge and shit!.... what? Poverty? Abuse of human rights in Aboriginal communities? Pfft, that doesn't win elections. Forcing pensioners to buy new TVs will!!"

Let's not forget HIGH SPEED INTARWEBZ IN EVERY AUSSIE COMMUNITY!!!!!

ps we're gonna censor it, it's gonna be chinatastic.

And I'm sure I'm just missing some completely obvious way in which HD TV is absolutely necessary and will make everyone's life so much better, and why it's so crucial that analogue transmissions be stopped before we're good and ready. But I don't bloody care.

And I'm sure I'm just missing some completely obvious way in which HD TV is absolutely necessary and will make everyone's life so much better, and why it's so crucial that analogue transmissions be stopped before we're good and ready. But I don't bloody care.

It seems to me the analogue/digital thing is on a technical level ... the whole extra channels could be provided on analogue if they wanted to, but it's the carrot to get us to change over.

The stick, of course, is arbitrarily switching off analogue.

It seems to me the analogue/digital thing is on a technical level ... the whole extra channels could be provided on analogue if they wanted to, but it's the carrot to get us to change over.

The stick, of course, is arbitrarily switching off analogue.

Indeed... I can imagine that digital is probably cheaper too, except for laying all that cable and stuff.... is ditigal just via cable or is it through the air too? Having HD won't mean shit if you have crap reception and live on the wrong side of a hill.

Isn't digital meant to be through the air too, and capable of reaching places that were black spots under analogue?

Ahh, I'm really not sure. I'm a few months and a couple of glasses of wine beyond capable of remembering what I'd read about its perks.

Maybe Wikipedia has something?

Oh, as for the censorship of the Intarwebz, I'm all for it if I get to control what's censored. :wink:

And as usual, anything's okay as long as you're in charge *L*

Exactly! Now you're catching on. :wink:

And re: analogue/digital, from Wikipedia:

An analogue television system includes several components: a set of technical parameters for the broadcast signal, a system for encoding color, and possibly a system for encoding multi-channel audio. In digital television, all of these elements are combined in a single digital transmission system.

i saw paul dempsey tonight.

i wrote out the setlist in my phone.

then when i went to save it, i deleted it by accident.

and it's made the night a real bummer. :(

regardless, it was a FANTASTIC gig, but i wish i still had the set. :sigh: can't find any others on the net.

Ah shit Danny! Give it a few days and one might pop up? I've always been paranoid when noting the setlist on my phone ...

I'm falling asleep here at the computer, so I'm bailing for the night. :wave:

Back
Top Bottom