Northern (and Southern) Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martha

Blue Crack Supplier
Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Both movies I saw this weekend had Northern (and Southern) Lights in them. Next winter I want to go see some. I've only ever seen them out of a plane window over the Atlantic. Sure, it was bitchin' beyond belief, but I want to see them from the gound, like God intended.

So, do you live where you can see them? If so, where the hell do you live? How far north do I have to go? (The southern jobs would work better with my summers off, but they'd be too expensive to go see.)

During the winter, I see them every almost every night.

Fort Nelson, BC Canada

Pretty far north. I don't think you have to go this far to see the lights though.

I saw them several times in Wisconsin, which isn't too far north.

I've yet to see them in Washington State. :(

martha said:
:ohmy:

And how is your weather when the lights are there?

Well, I haven't seen them yet and there is about a foot and a half of snow outside with an average daily temperature hovering between -15 C and -20 C. It will get colder. Although, this is an abnormally extra cold year, normally only -8 C. Up here, its a no brainer to see them. I am not sure how often people south of me see the lights. Ask loveU2adam, I think she lives in Edmonton, Alberta. She might know if you can see them around there in winter.

corianderstem said:
I saw them several times in Wisconsin, which isn't too far north.

Really? That's almost level with Michigan. Although, I'm sure the city lights destroy any possibility of seeing them around here.

I've seen them in Michigan a couple times right around mid-October, Lies--once at Ludington, and once in the Porcupines. I've seen them in Southern Maine before, as well. They're not quite as distinct as they would be further north, but they're still pretty amazing--more like bands of light appearing, lashing across the sky, then receding than like the classic shimmering-curtain appearance.

You can't necessarily count on seeing them no matter where you go, though; there has to be a geomagnetic storm at the time. If you look up "aurora" on Wikipedia, there are links at the bottom of the entry to a few sites that keep track of when and where they're most likely to be visible.

One late Summer I caught a few glimpses of them. At that time I was working at a Summer Camp in Aitkin, Minnesota.

yolland said:
I've seen them in Michigan a couple times right around mid-October, Lies--once at Ludington, and once in the Porcupines. I've seen them in Southern Maine before, as well. They're not quite as distinct as they would be further north, but they're still pretty amazing--more like bands of light appearing, lashing across the sky, then receding than like the classic shimmering-curtain appearance.

You can't necessarily count on seeing them no matter where you go, though; there has to be a geomagnetic storm at the time. If you look up "aurora" on Wikipedia, there are links at the bottom of the entry to a few sites that keep track of when and where they're most likely to be visible.

Good to know! I've lived here my entire life and never knew it was possible, thus never bothered to look. I always thought you had to be in northern Canada or Greenland. I'll look again if I'm ever away from the city glow.

i want to see them too martha.
i've never seen them....not even from a plane. :(

I've met people who have seen them here (northern Indiana- South Bend area), apparently they show up a couple times a year. I've lived here for about 20 years and haven't seen anything... though I would really like to see them someday, too.

I guy I know does astrophotography and most of the aurora borealis shots he has on his website were taken in southwestern Ohio (he lives in Dayton), so nice ones can be seen fairly far south. Sadly I have to take his word (and pictorial evidence) for it as I have never seen them myself. :(

Here's a very nice set he took in the NYC/NJ area while he was setting up for a show one evening. He said he was amazed at how well it could be seen since the area was quite urban and there was a lot of light.

jersey20aurora.jpg

And this is the info he has about the images on his website:

Aurora Borealis photos - The Northern Lights images & montage taken from New York City and New Jersey Area on October 30th 2003. This Auroral display was so brilliant that it could be seen in the city and as far south as Miami, Fl. One of the prettiest displays I have ever recorded!

Here's a link to several aurora borealis shoots on his
website

martha said:

Edmonton? :hyper:

you can see the northern lights from time to time in edmonton, martha. the temperatures are pretty close to what trevster described. it's kind of a crapshoot though, i can't say i've seen them with any kind of regularity within the last two years. i'm sure the light pollution here doesn't help.

when i was teaching in a small town northeast of here, i saw them quite frequently. it made coming home from school late at night the best part of my day. :up:

meegannie said:

Why is it all slanty, though?

Science. :angry:
i think it depends on the 'direction' of the solar wind and the way it pulls on the magnetosphere. or something like that.

science. :drool:

Well, I saw them by accident once when my friend and I were driving around totally lost in North Dakota. It was amazing!!!

I vote for Norway. Those Scandanavians are cool and the countryside is beautiful. :heart: Bring lots of money tho...stuff is expensive! :eek:

I saw the Northern Lights while camping in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan. One of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. :love:

there's a place about a half mile from my school that everyone goes to for all their lame emo/screamo concerts, and it's called Northern Lights, but i don't think i've ever actually seen them up here in upstate NY :scratch:

maybe if i go a little more north to the adirondacks :shrug:

I saw the lights once, in 1989, in the north of Scotland. I was 17 at the time and dating this girl. We sat on some swings and watched the free* show for a while. It was amazing!

*yeah, it's true...us Scots are cheap! :wink:

martha said:
I've been reading up on the lights, and northern Norway seems like a pretty good place to go. Plus, it's actualy warmer there above the Arctic Circle than in cold continental Canada due to the Gulf Stream.

Then that gets my vote!

One of my old teachers used to live in Norway and he has only good things to say about the country and the people.

Back
Top Bottom