Nomar Garciapara... from one loser to another.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's what he gets for pouting in the dugout during the same game in which Derek Jeter took one in the face for the team (tumbling into the stands while catching a foul ball.) I know his achilles heel was hurting, but Nomar still should have gotten into that game.

He seems to have taken the trade rumors from last winter (ARod to the Sox, etc.) very personally. I can understand that, but all of us go through various types of grief at our jobs, and we have to deal with it. He was no exception.

I'm a Yankees fan, but I like to see the Red Sox stay competitive (and they certainly were at Fenway last weekend!) I don't know if this will help their team in the long run.

this is a case of theo epstein being so obsessed with beating that yankees that he would attempt to screw his two best players, manny & nomar... manny is a space cadet and doesn't really care... nomar cared, and i don't blame him. the red sox didn't get the best end of this deal, but it was a deal that they had to make.

just imagine this...

game 7... fenway... cubs vs. red sox... one curse has to end... nomar smacks a double off the monster to score the go-ahead run in the top of the 9th... cubs go on to win the series... red sox fans collectively jump into the charles river.

no way does this hurt the red sox in the long run. it definitly will help them in the long run because nomar wasn't going to resign and they got two players back for him now instead of draft picks. Cabrera has been awful this season but the past 3 years he has hit 40+ doubles... of course when you take vlad out of the lineup production for everyone will drop off, so i could easily see him thriving in boston, plus he brings a better glove than nomar had.

minkie brings a great glove to 1b, one they did not have and cost them games against the yankees (see ortiz v. yankees- ball right through glove- literally.) last year he hit 300 and had an obp near 400 which is really good ,but this year he's been crapola. he brings no power to the table though.

that said, theres no doubt i'd rather have nomar on my team stats and player-talent wise for this year. reading an article in the boston globe today really summed it up though (paraphrasing here)

after the red sox beat oakland in game 4 of the alds last year and were going to oakland for game 5, elated at the opportuinity to come back and win, nomar was sulking saying "why is everyone so happy? when we lose, theyre just going to rip us anyway."

awful attitude, and it's only gotten worse after the arod negotiations.

plus, 3 days ago he told the red sox trainers that he'd need considerable time off, not just randomly scheduled days off, if he were to stay of the dl. his achilles can't be feeling too good.

On the other hand, do you think that the change of scenery, surrounded by new players, the history of Wrigley field, just might compel him to pick it up a notch...

Yeah, i realize the same could be said for the Bosox, beautiful scenery, great players and the history of Fenway but just a change might make the difference in Nomar's career...

:|

By the title of this thread, you might have thought that the Mets got Nomar! :wink:

I am with Mr. Baw on this one....and the media in Chicago isn't as tough on the Cubs as the Boston media on the Red Sox. A good change of address.

Now, will it help the Cubs win the division this year? Not likely...they have to aim for the Wild Card! :D :wink:

OK since I was away from the computer this weekend I got to fully digest this before posting my thoughts.
First: The Sox did not get reasonable return for Nomaaah, a potential future hall of famer, career .320 hitter, and the man Ted "freeze my head" Williams once said would end up being the greatest Red Sox of all time.
Now Obviously the odds are the Sox would have lost backwards Ramon to free agency at years end. Theo " I wish I was Eddie Vedder" Epstein stated the move was made to shore up the defense (which was clearly awful) otherwise they couldn't win a Woerld Series...this is not football, the "Defense wins championships" rally cry doesn't apply here. In baseball pitching wins. And our new defensive minded shortsop Cabrera, the one with less range than Nomar and a weaker arm, made the error that let the winning run score for the Twins Sunday. Now I think getting Mientkewicz (who had a long travel to switch teams Saturday so he needed Sunday off) helps, but he could have been had in a lesser deal, leaving Nomar in place for the balance of the season and IMO giving the Sox their best shot at a playoff run. Sure they might lose him (Though he keeps insisting he wanted to stay in Boston, while screaming at ownership for mistreating him all the while), but they could then use the $$$ they offered him ($4 yrs, 60 million, he said no) to sign someone to play 2nd (Jose VIdro?) and move Pokey to short (who is way better defensively than Nomar or Cabrara).

Now the last thing Sox ownership didn't consider was the kids. If you ask Red Sox fans age 12 and under who their favorite player is (before this weekend of course) 19 out of 20 have the same one word answer: "Nomar". These kids don't know or care about million dollar salaries, they just loved Nomar and many are very disillusioned this morning.

All in all I think the Sox made a poor move, while the Yanks dropped a rag armed 66 year old Cuban for one of the league's best pitchers...pass the calzone Costanza, Big Stein one-upped them again.

Hewson said:

All in all I think the Sox made a poor move, while the Yanks dropped a rag armed 66 year old Cuban for one of the league's best pitchers...pass the calzone Costanza, Big Stein one-upped them again.

Please tell me you're not refering to Esteban Loiaza. I have been to 10 or 11 White Sox games this year and know that he has no confidence in his pitches and doesn't throw hard anymore. Ozzie Guillen would take a trip to the mound durining almost every game he was in to tell him to get his head out of his a@*. While I liked Loiaza, I am not sad to see him go. What the White Sox really needed was another bat in the line up, not another pitcher....

Last edited:
Loaiza has been struggling of late to be sure, but he has the stuff to be a very good pitcher (as he showed last year and the early parts of this), the change of venue may help him tremendously. Being on a staff with Mussina and Brown, he'll get some tutelege that will help him, plus Posada can speak to him without a translator.
You'll be begging for Loaiza back in Chicago after a couple of Contreras starts.

Contreras gets his first start against KC tomorrow. We'll see how that goes. KC is like a Triple A club this year. Then again, the White Sox have played triple A ball too.

Loiaza didn't need a translator here. He is a quality guy but I believe last year was a fluke for him. I think the White Sox are out of it anyway. They are hurting badly from the loss of Mags and the Big Skirt, pardon me, the Big Hurt, Frank Thomas.

hewson's first post in this thread has set a new interference record for most made up nicknames in a single post. congrats and god speed.

and zoney... the mets aren't losers... they're just pathetic. calling them losers is an insult to all good losers everywhere.

but then again... they have won two championships in the past 80+ years :wink:

Now the last thing Sox ownership didn't consider was the kids. If you ask Red Sox fans age 12 and under who their favorite player is (before this weekend of course) 19 out of 20 have the same one word answer: "Nomar". These kids don't know or care about million dollar salaries, they just loved Nomar and many are very disillusioned this morning.

ah...the reason my brother broke the remote control.

here's my trade story.

i'm a twins fan (have been my whole life...) and i really wanted to see doug go. i wanted him to go a good team where he deserves a new start, and i wanted to see morneau get the playing time he deserves too... hmm.

that saturday boston was in town and my dad had four tickets. i took a friend of mine down. on the way down to the game, we toyed with the idea of doug getting traded to the sox and nomah coming to the twins (we knew THAT wouldn't happen, but we both love nomah.)
we were actually about three hours early to the game and with no access to trade updates and whatnot we were in the dark... until...
we were both filling out our score cards. it gave the number of the person to play first for the bosox (#13), but there wasn't a thirteen on the card, so amazingly enough... i turn to andy (my friend you know.) and say... "what if..."
he says..."NO WAY!"

i have to admit it was strange to see doug playing against the same guys he played with the day before, but it was a refreshing change... now the twins better hope those prospects work out...

peace, love & bad lemon,
toni

...is the acropolis crumbling?

Headache in a Suitcase said:
this is a case of theo epstein being so obsessed with beating that yankees that he would attempt to screw his two best players, manny & nomar... manny is a space cadet and doesn't really care... nomar cared, and i don't blame him. the red sox didn't get the best end of this deal, but it was a deal that they had to make.

just imagine this...

game 7... fenway... cubs vs. red sox... one curse has to end... nomar smacks a double off the monster to score the go-ahead run in the top of the 9th... cubs go on to win the series... red sox fans collectively jump into the charles river.

Bah.

I wonder if Vegas bookies are taking odds on this.

Seriously though, the trade makes perfect baseball sense for the Sox -- Nomar clearly wanted out of Boston, so the Sox had to cut their losses here. (And Nomar has to bear some of the responsibility for the disintegration of this relationship.)

But you are right, karma will bite the Sox in the ass.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom