no surround sound on my pc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shrmn8rpoptart

War Child
i have some altec lansing speakers for my dell pc. i guess they're not technically surround sound, since i don't have a center channel, just four speakers and a sub.

anyways, i just noticed today that both of the back speakers are not playing. they are both plugged in, and i listened, and they both have a noise coming out of them that sounds like dead air on an fm station, so i know that they are working, they just don't have sound coming out of them.

i thought maybe itunes was messing with them, but it did the same thing with windows media player. i went to the control panel, and told it that i have quadrophonic speakers. i made sure the volume was on. still, nothing seems to work.

i'm a little frustrated, because rattle and hum does not sound the same unless i am completely immersed in the music, from all sides.

anyone have any suggestions on what to try to make them work?

shoot i hope not, i personally haven't had them up loud enough to do that...i would think anyway that i would know if i had caused it.

i might have to ask my brother and sister though...

I would guess without intimate knowledge of your audio routing that it is a simple setting. However, what you will hear will not be surround sound, nor quad...but simply double stereo. It may not be a setting at all, but just an inability of the program (or sound card) to play on multiple outputs.

Surround sound is mixed with 6 distinct channels.

ok...right, well the setup i have is whatever like the $60 altec lansing upgrade from dell is. i know it's not surround...but no sound comes out of the back two at all. could this be because i have it set to the quadrophonic setting? it's not like they never worked, i just noticed one day that there was no sound coming from behind me anymore...

nbcrusader said:
Do you have the proper sound card?
i would assume so, i've been using the exact same setup since i got my computer in the spring of 2003 with no problems. it wasn't until just recently that i started noticing the problem.

i tried changing my settings back to the "desktop stereo speaker" setting as opposed to the "quadrophonic speaker" setting. it didn't help either way.

i have also tried listening to music in, and adjusting the settings of itunes, wmp, and winamp, all to no avail.

i tried turning off my computer, and turning off the sub and speakers, then turning everything on, that didn't work. i checked to make sure that everything was properly plugged in. it was.

i tried going through the trouble shooting through the windows control panel, and none of the questions quite described my problem. i followed a couple of the paths all the way through, but couldn't find anything wrong in my computer.

i am no computer genius, and these are about the only things i could think of. anyone else have ideas?

Back
Top Bottom