No one would care bout 'Sweet Home Alabama' if it didn't have 'Alabama' in the title?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
its all a syllabel thing I think- it is a catchy song but I hate how they make fun of Neil Young in the lyrics- its just a personal thing, (no one should diss Neil)
smile.gif

Originally posted by OzAurora:
(no one should diss Neil)
smile.gif

I'll drink to that!
------------------

Just as you find me
Always I will be
A little bit too free
With myself

[This message has been edited by ~LadyLemon~ (edited 04-16-2002).]

everyone is whining, "don't diss neil, don't diss neil!!! boo hoo," but it was neil who first dissed the "southern man" with a little bit of stereotyping, eh swallow?

a very uneducated person i went to high school with said that should be our national anthem instead of star spangled banner.

so that's enough to make me say no. that and i don't like the band.

------------------
i like the highlife and the lowlife. it's just the bit in between i find boring.
ME! all day, every day!
"...a poptart in pants..." -- elizabeth

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
everyone is whining, "don't diss neil, don't diss neil!!! boo hoo," but it was neil who first dissed the "southern man" with a little bit of stereotyping, eh swallow?

I am a HUGE Neil Young fan, in fact, I like Neil Young more than I like Lynyrd Skynyrd; but The Wanderer is correct here. Young wrote "Southern Man" and "Alabama" both of which came across as stereotypical to many Southerners, including the liberal hippies from Jacksonville, Florida. In the end, after their success with "Sweet Home Alabama," he wrote two songs that he offered them to record and put on their next album ("Powderfinger" and "Sedan Delivery"). Neither of them made it to album, but I would have loved to hear them performed by 'SKYNYRD!!!

~U2SweetHomeAlabama

ive seen the high school neil young went too, i feel priviledge. winnipeg is proud to call him their own, though he isnt proud to winnipeg his home.

oh well, he still kicks ass, and that aformentioned band is terrible. i never knew they made fun of him, i dont care if he made fun of them first, they deserve it.

what neil says goes.

------------------
-deathbear

"sweet home california"

"sweet home calcutta"

"sweet home dirty gutter"

all of these were actually tried during the recording sessions before they went with alabama.

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

Originally posted by The Wanderer:

I know that Neil made the first jab- BUT the point I want to make is that his songs were better than Skynards, just my personal opinion really
smile.gif

Guys, don't let one overrated song cause you to miss the genius behind such classics as "oooh, that smell" and "whatcho name, little girl?". It would be tragic to dismiss them.

Free Bird and Tuesday's Gone are brilliant songs. Some of the greatest in rock history.

------------------
~"A little out of touch, little insane, just easier than dealin' with the pain!" ~Soul Asylum, "Runaway Train"

~**The LONE She-Wolf of PLEBA!**~

There is a very clever Australian film about the use of the Australian satellite dish for the moon landing, called "The Dish".
There's a precious scene where the American NASA guys and dignitaries are at a party in the very small country town that the dish sits in.
The Australian National Anthem is played.
Then the American National Anthem is played.
Only problem being that the song that is actually played is the theme song from Hawaii Five 0
biggrin.gif

Very funny film.

------------------
*I am a cowgirl of funk*

not to defend Skynard here cause I don't like them, but when the line "ooooh that smell" was referring to death, because they said "death was always following the band around," don't press me about how I know that...

yeah OzAurora, I don't think anyone here was arguing with you on that point

Back
Top Bottom