No-one gives a shit about music here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
financeguy said:
The lynch mob mentality prevails.

bullshit. i'm all in favour of controversial statements, but don't act suprised when everyone else comes down on you like a tonne of bricks for making them. although this is one of the more interesting threads i've seen of late, so perhaps my response is a compliment in disguise.

beli said:
I actually thought the first post was a joke. Especially given the mention of bible quotes. I thought it was a piss take on this forum in general.

Or is my sense of humour way of beam?

Yep, Beli, you're a nutjob! :wink:

I took it as a joke too...hence my reply. :D (but the bonus points still apply) I'm surprised at the animosity directed toward the thread starter, as I thought it was kinda cute. :shrug:

typhoon said:
Slqoirio Fdslkds
omigor GET OUT!!!! i LOVE them!! i saw them in 02 when they were playing this dimly lit club. there was one light bulb for the whole place. it was free cuz they were so "awful" (i loved them of course) and no one would hear them play. now that they've gone all commercial and have a #1 i don't like them anymore. sell outs.

nurse chrissi said:
off the top of my head - new bands...

Green Day
Interpol

the list goes on and on........

yes, i think you forgot about soundgarden and the spin doctors. :wink:

interesting thread. i'm all about the finance guy.

:up:

Doozer61 said:
:reject: i like country music

you and i need to talk!

unless you mean the obscure kind of country that the creepy old dudes play on sunday afternoons on the college station....

i've developed a sudden liking for mainstream commercial radio country music :reject:

i like music. i didn't take what financeguy said as a joke, i took it as a attempt at trying to add some humor into fixing this rather dead forum. face it, this place is nothing but "what bands OTHER THAN U2 do you like" threads and top # lists. not to mention a couple thousand posts about the killers and interpol. a year or so ago, it was coldplay and the white stripes. appologies to the fans of those bands (hey, i like 3 out of those 4 i mentioned, something that seemed to get overlooked the last time i mentioned this), i'm not saying you jumped on various trends, i'm just saying that these ARE the trends here.

financeguy was hitting a touchy subject, apparently, for most people in here...everyone likes to believe that they are so eclectic, when in reality very few people truly are. and it's OK to only like one kind of music, but you're going to have to deal with the elitist music snobs of the world telling you otherwise. that's their problem. but however uneclectic someone is, chances are they may still really passionately love those few bands that they listen to. so that's where people take offense when someone tells them they don't really listen to music.

what the fuck...i'm rambling...

i claim to be pretty eclectic. and i also know i'm a snob. i'm also aware of the fact that there are people here with a more expansive music collection that encompasses more styles, eras, and genres than mine. i don't star threads here, though, because it's been my experience that very few people actually care what i have to say, even when it's a question.

IWB brings up a good point about eclectic tastes - take a look at the thread with the top 10 albums of the year (according to posters here) and they're all pretty much albums that belong to the subset of the same genre. There is brilliant stuff being recorded out there, in rap and hip hop and country and you would never know it if you just read threads here. I think most of us here like rock or indie alt-rock, and our choices reflect that, but oftentimes, I think if you want a really good picture of what's truly out there, you may have to venture outside of LS, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I'd be interested in knowing financeguy's favorite artists/albums.

Indulge us.

Melon

Finance Guy: you said you have been meaning to get Pearl Jam's other CDs besides Ten? Well, 'Vs.' is really good (I like it better than Ten), but they haven't reached that level again since. I'm not saying their other albums are crap, it's just that Vs. is the only one I still enjoy listening to years later.

iwb is right. 99% of what i like can be fit into the same genre. everything i like is rock/synth pop type stuff. keyboard and guitar driven music. i think even U2 can be fit into that category.

the 1% is the pop music i'll occasionally indulge myself in if a good enough song/artist comes along. like i should even have an opinion on it, they all suck right?

martha said:
I like a wide variety of music. I just don't post about it here. :shrug:

Same here. I can start threads all day long about all the rap and trance artists I listen to, but no one is going to reply to them (except mofo, probably...hehe). Yeah, this forum leans a lot toward indie rock, but that doesn't mean no one here listens to anything else. Lots of us do, but there's only so many other people who are going to want to talk about Fabolous or the Fiery Furnaces with you. Hence there's some lack of true variety. But that doesn't mean the variety isn't here at home in our CD collections and ipods.

martha said:
I like a wide variety of music. I just don't post about it here. :shrug:

Exactly - like I said, if you want a really thorough discussion about genres outside of rock, LS really may not be the best place to do it.

HeartlandGirl said:

Same here. I can start threads all day long about all the rap and trance artists I listen to, but no one is going to reply to them (except mofo, probably...hehe). Yeah, this forum leans a lot toward indie rock, but that doesn't mean no one here listens to anything else. Lots of us do, but there's only so many other people who are going to want to talk about Fabolous or the Fiery Furnaces with you. Hence there's some lack of true variety. But that doesn't mean the variety isn't here at home in our CD collections and ipods.

yes. when someone does post a thread that only a few people want to talk about, it sinks like a rock.

hell...of montreal fall into the indie rock category and not a single person replied to my thread (this was a while ago) about them.

Neil Young
Pearl Jam
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Buffalo Springfield
Nirvana
Early Eric Clapton
Steve Earle
Some Chris Isaak
The Stephen Stills songs from CSN

Musicians who make me think or have something utterly transcendant about them. Musicians who make your imagination or emotions to take flight. Musicians who say or play something I haven't heard expressed quite that way anywhere else. Musicians who buck the status quo. We all love musicians who say something about the way we are or the way we want to be.
And when we are brave, sometimes, we like the musicians who
knock our personal sacred cows and make us rethink ourselves.

I'm not only late to this thread, but I'm also an "old fart" (i.e., U2 members' ages).

Yet music remains a big part of my life. I've always enjoyed rock music. As such, some of the bands I've checked out lately are:

Black Motorcycle Rebel Club
Evanescence
Killers
The Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Interpol
Scissor Sisters
The Hives

There are more, but you get the idea.

Just because we don't discuss other music a lot, doesn't mean we don't like it. Interference is really a U2 fan forum - so that clearly will dominate topics.

financeguy said:
No-one gives a shit about music here, apart from about 5 people.

Am I wrong? Prove to me I'm wrong (without using Bible quotes).
That is the best fucking post I have ever seen on Interference. And so true too...

I care about other music, it just isn't often that I post on this forum about it. Because of the reasons stated here... Atease is better for snobby music discussions.

It seems to me that a lot of U2 fans listen to NOTHING but U2...

freaks.

alexvilagosh said:

It seems to me that a lot of U2 fans listen to NOTHING but U2...

freaks.

yes, that explains all those posts about bands that start out with "i still love u2, but i like this other band..." or end with "i like them but u2 are still my favorite!!"

or my personal favorite: "and they kind of sound like u2!"

yes this is a u2 site, but this forum is the NON-u2 music forum. so it's not all about u2 in here.

I stopped listening to the wavelength, now I just let it happen to me. Don't talke about music its pointless its like writing about architecutre. haha. hahah.

hahahahaha.

hahahahaha.

Don't ask why. There is no why. Haha. I nearly mispelled why. Good times.

Kieran McConville said:
I stopped listening to the wavelength, now I just let it happen to me. Don't talke about music its pointless its like writing about architecutre. haha. hahah.

hahahahaha.

hahahahaha.

Don't ask why. There is no why. Haha. I nearly mispelled why. Good times.

i've never been a big frank zappa fan :|

Back
Top Bottom