No More Solo Ryan Adams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonochick

Halloweenhead
Staff member
This was posted by Ryan at his board earlier tonight. The beginning of it is in reference to some of his unreleased material suddenly being circulated.

"i try and give everybody access to the board at my shows and i do everything i can for bootleggers at gigs, but this is alittle weird. somebody at lost highway is a rat. i love that you guys can listen to all this stuff but i guess its violating in a way. i mean, in my own time i hoped it would all come out. in any event, in case you were wondering, im doing one show this year, on the 4th of july, in nyc, the date is coincidental to the holiday as i could give a whole fuck, and thats all. im not doing anything else. in fact, im not putting the album out and im not going on tour. i think i quit. in fact, i know i quit. im going to be playing in a new band that i wont be singing in. thats all. the show will be awesome though. kinda a bloodletting for all the old songs. it sounds ridiculous im sure but i am really excited to not make records in the context i have been for awhile. ive been sorta graduating to being more of a guitar player anyway. i dont even like the sound of my own songs anyway. anyway. writing on here is always alittle strange i just figured people would be interested. enjoy the old stuff. "

Later, a member posted and asked if Ryan was sure about this, and he replied "serious as a heart attack."

:slant: :(

I stumbled across another post he made:

"although its sorta diminshing returns alot of the time, im not trying to be dramatic about it. im just done. it feels really good. i am, however, gonna play guitar for someone and maybe even write with someone just not sing. not do the "me" thing for awhile. its gonna be very liberatintg for me. i put alot of thought into it as well. it didnt just pass me by. ive been thinking i should do this for awhile but i was afraid because i was attached to all the things that come with playing music. i think i was afraid of losing my idenity if i stopped. but thats part of the bullshit that goes along with this that i want to get afraid of. its all false. it dosent weigh anything spiritually to be who i am in music, and no i havent found god or anything, but it just means nothing to be this person, this rock person. i couldnt even touch a guitar for months because i knew. it wasnt coming from a sencwe of wanting to play, it was because i had some sort of agenda. or a quota. like when cops start busting all these people on their beat, i start knocking out tunes because im supposed to or play because im supposed to. im not going to communicate that way anymore. but LETS FACE IT. im not a platnuim selling artist, im not some major contender out there, this isnt front page or even back page news. its just i quit. thats really all. i dont want to go on fighting for this kinda life or this job. i dont want to go on fighting for some "rock dream" because i dont even believe in that. i feel like that asshole in jerry macguire or something. but really i dont get any bang outta fighting my way through the rock world. it sucks. its not worth it. really im over-explaining. but i dont care anymore about it. i still like music. hell i played piano at home last night for an hour. but it began and ended right there. anyhow this is tooo long."

~~~~~~~~~~

It's sad, but ya know...if your heart isn't in it, it just loses a lot of its meaning. I guess he has to do what he feels is best for him. He could always change his mind...

Bonochick said:
It's sad, but ya know...if your heart isn't in it, it just loses a lot of its meaning. I guess he has to do what he feels is best for him. He could always change his mind...

That is very true...look at the artists who are just making records to fulfill record contracts....you can tell they don't love the craft anymore, and it comes through loud and clear in thier music. It's better for him to leave while he's ahead in a sense, it's better than putting out garbage and people like you losing faith in him.

:|

Wow.... I still don't think I have ever heard a single Ryan Adams song, but that sucks. It's always sad to see someone quit at something they (I assume) are good at.

Sorry BC :( I know how much you love him. At least he had the respect for all of you to post those notes.

Sounds like he's just working through something. First he says 'im just done' and then 'not do the "me" thing for awhile.' He'll be back, I betcha. I think it's smart, actually. I really like his music but he strikes me as slightly immature (no offense, BC, I really like him) and maybe this break will be good for him. He sings too much like a natural to quit. He sings like it's second nature, like it's who he is. Give him a year or two. He'll be back.

More posts I found. I didn't have time to sift through everything last night. He hasn't been online much since he finished the album because he has no computer of his own. But he said he bought a laptop now, which explains why he was on so much last night:

"how strange is this... i got offered a deal to write a book, not about my life, but about whatever. i dont think ill use my real name or anything but people are actually into all this stuff ive been working on. of course its not a u.s. publisher but all the better. how disgusting is it here now anyway. i mean, its embarrasing even telling people youre from the united states anymore. ive been going to school for writing and taking some foreign language classes. my french is still pretty horrible but im going there next week for a whole month to study. i think im only gonna pack MELVINS records, or maybe howling wolf. i dunno. leona is sleeeping. her record is finally finished, she went back into the studio with ethan and the engineer of all those kick ass frank sinatra records and re-cut the singles. it sounds so incredible. i got this new laptop from the office. it kicks ass but i cant figure out how to open new files to write yet. maybe i need to put the disc in or something. im gonna go to that chat room on aol, the one called born again or christian something or other and tell them that god and satan made up so its okay and you can "go home" or whatever. i kinda believe that anyway but itll be funny. i am so out there. i got all this morrocan yum yum and its making everything very funny."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"im not drunk. im sitting at home trying to figure out this new laptop i got for writing. i can rightly lug around a manual typewriter. and i do quit. i so tired of it. im not pissy. i actually feel really good about it. its very liberating. i feel like a real person for the first time in for fucking ever. i walk around and i dont think music. i hang out with friends its all incredibly nice and theres only so many degrees between me and anybody else i know. now its more fun to go and see THEIR band or whatever. its not about me. quitting is awesome. its like i let go of thiss rope, this tug of war rope or whatever and whatever was on the other end fell and went away. the guitars in my apaartment dont peer at me asking me for new songs theyre just there. theyre nice to play. its all so commercial anyhow, making records. its like showing off or something and every single artisst who thinks they are trying to retain their purity and their integrity or whatever bullshit terms they think they are on, its all just a bunch of whoring crap. i dont think i like it very much. besides, all my favorite musical moments were so far from a studio or a stage. its really amazing this didnt happen sooner. i think i was just really good at pretending everything else waas the problem, anything but what my job was. so it sint my job anymore. im gonna get a real job. one i can answer up to. like there arent three thousand ways to sweep a fucking floor and people cant get angry with you when you paint a house or build a chair. you just fucking do it. its honest. anyway this is a tirade and i am entirely too high to be on here. im going into a chat room or something funny.but...nevertheless....its true. im not drunk. i quit. im gonna play guitar for somebody when im ready and im not gonna sing. i quit. and im not bitter or sad. im very fucking happy...thanks."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Somebody asked him why he didn't just release the record, since it was finished:

"its crap. it sounds like what happens to you in new orleans and no i dont mean the drinks. nah, i like it. but you know, whatever. what should be the question of the moment is who is this person that im going to be playing guitar for. its not guns n roses. its not jesse, and as much as id like its not leona. but this ROCK FUCKING ICON i want to play guitar for. thats the question."

~~~~~~~~~~~

"i worked at BIG SKY BAKERY IN RALIEGH NC for 4 monmths. kneeding the dough. weighing and measuring dough balls. then i worked on an assembly line at NeoMonde Baking Factory pulling rolled edough balls of a factory belt onto metal sheets tt be poofed and then baked. fucking hard work. loved it. but i think im gonna do volunteer work. for awhile at least"

I'm really shocked that he was saying he doesn't want to release his new album because it's crap.

While he was makin' the album in New Orleans and L.A., he would keep us updated at the board as to which songs they were doing, and he was saying that this was going to be his best album ever. He seemed really happy and satisfied with it. His web site had requested us to submit songs we wanted him to release (cuz he has so much unreleased stuff), and he took some of our suggestions (whether they made the final cut or not, we don't know, but they recorded a bunch). We've all been so excited for this new release, and it will be such a disappointment if it isn't.

I really hope he isn't meaning this. Maybe he's just been on a bender...

:sexywink:

Guess we'll all find out soon enough though!

It sounds like the gig in NYC on July 4th is really going to happen though. Ryan said it's going to be at Battery Park, and it's going to be free. If it is true...damn, do I want to go. I've always wanted to go to NYC as it is, and that would be the icing on the cake. People are already making plans. I want to wait until I hear something more firm though.

He just posted this tonight:

"okay, okay. i have a minute and i wanna explain myself to you nice people in the computer. Sans Moroccan Hash anyways. This is what I was on about last night. What I shouldve said is, "Im thinking about not releasing a record this year. at least, im thinking that maybe id have more fun doing something else. yes, currently im pretty grossed out with it all and you know, thats just life. everybody gets tired of their own little world, and well, i hate mine cause its never really mine. This person "SMJ, or whoever they were, they said it best.,....who would wanna play with him anyway with him being late and drunk and the lights are too bright" dont fuck up somebody elses good thing"....tthats not a direct quote but this person has it right. ......whats funny is , all i wanted when i play live is one set of lights. i mean, its not fucking starwars up there and i hate shows with all that fire and fucking laser beams....so im a prima donna because i want LESS. i get called a prima donna for that. fuckinf twat. I wanted it to be about the music not the lights.......THIS IS A SIMPLE EXAMPLE OF PETTY SHIT IHAVE TO GET all so i can play music the way i wanna. the whole thing about getting drunk...well yeah. i love it. love to get high. i dont shove it down anybodys throat but i do, im not gonna pretend i dont. AM I A SLACK MOTHERFUCKER? do i miss work because i get high. fucking no. i record 6 records three or four of which you dont have and maybe now you have some because of kazaa. (which by the way i totally support) but fuck you for your constant insensitivity and may i say that, outside of all this incredible support that i feel all the time from all these great people who love rock music, the negative bits are so fucking outrageous. i like music as much as i ever did. if i have to listen to one more fucking asshole go on about the "way it should be" or the things that didnt happen when they shouldve maybe i wont love it as much. I c ant fucking wait to make more records and i dont care how DRAMATIC im sounding. i just plain ole think ill have a better time doing it for myself for awhile. not doing it in front of people, for people, and espcially DESPITTE people. Its a real crap time out there for me. i hate it. so maybe ill go and work with somebody else for awhile....you know...CONTRIBUTE to their thing and have my amp and my own little space yto fill and go and do other shit......................you know at some point, it feels like a bunch of lies. cause im not pushing anything on anybody. im not trying to sell rock roll relegion to anybody. i just loved it. i cant believe how much gets focused on getting wasted (which i NEVER am live by the way as much as i smoke or have some wine its impossible to fucking catch that kind of buzz in the middle of playing 20 fucking songs...sorry)...(well, maybe alitttttttle buzz) but i digress...because this response from this person it was perfect and the reason i wanted to come back on here and expland this thought. I dont QUIT my life or rocknroll or anything and FUCK YES i may change my mind tommorow but as for right now, i think i kind of like the idea of kicking around and catching up on alot of REAL things like not dealing with fuck-headed peoples opinions all the time. as tough as anybody is, like Lou -Reed tough, its impossible at some point to not be affected by what your tiny ass world thinks of you and the part of that which is negative does have affect. I wasnt ever trying to be ROCK "STAR". i was actually being the same assshole i woulve been anyway except i wouldve quietly gotten away with it because you dont dissect and revere and hate the guy at the end of the bar that dosent have a story. you just dont care. the fact that for two seconds i had to be shallow enough to contemplate my place in all this is reason enough to fuck off for awhie or ever. i mean,...its just fucking records. its so crap its so not real dialogue. i love it, dont get me wrong, but i dont fucking love it that much...............anyway the only reason i said anything was becaause at some point people might wonder"what the fuck" and i dunno what the deal is with all these recordings and whatever but im sure theres enough around to do whatever anybody wants. Im not FRANTIC or being A fucking CRYBABY. I just dont giv e a shit. i give sso much of a shit about so many other things that fuck this sounds very nice. to be perfectly honest i find what i do pathetic at best and it will be a great burden lifted off my shoulders to not have to hear my own voice shredding my nerves out of my skull. it might be nice playing some guitar though. anyhow this is all very long winded and EMBARRASING, BUT I THOUGHT ITD sound more complete sans moroccan hash which, incidentally, is godamn mindblowing........i hope we get some more snow. the orther night was such a dream. ive missed every snow in nyc from being gone in the last three years and two nights ago i wouldve fucked this citys brains out it was so georgeous. hell of a place to live. p.s. the show on the 4th isnt a last shebbang or anything it was booked for awhile so it isnt some CHER thing. its just a gig, and ill probably play the same old shit i always play with THe Pinkhearts wholl be there as well, hopefully with one mister Bucky Baxter back in the saddle. im off for some drinks. ta-ta- lovelys,....im sure ill regret writing any of this shit anyway. whatever."

I also found this that he posted:

"most everybody has been real nice and cool about my little mariah cary 0n-line meltdown and i appreciate that. so thank you guys. youre the best and all the nice shit you guys say. and especiallly the assholes because it is in you that i shall find my salvation. (or some smartass henry miller ass comment here). by the way i hope you guys found that kenny roby record "rather not know" man that record kicks ass. apparently caitlin made a new one but i cant find it. anyhow the phones ringing like crazy gotta go. bye for now, ta-ta- bonjour or bonswa or whatthefuck ever"

Looks like shit was just really getting to him...he probably just needed to chill for a bit.

Ahhh, I love me some Ryan. I really do.

I just love that he writes all this shit online. Seriously. I love that diary of his.

He started a new thread called "oh yeah" and posted this:

"p.s. its wicked fun not posting in all caps. i even figured out the google image thing. awesome."

Ryan's gonna turn into an Internet geek. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom