Nirvana's Sliver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Numb1075

ONE love, blood, life
Sometimes bands put too much thought into their lyrics and use witty analogies and make you really work hard to capture their true essense and meaning. Often, I enjoy this style of writing and sometimes I enjoy the simplest of lyrics.

I was just listening to an old favorite, Nirvana's Sliver.

How is this for simplicity but yet saying SOOO much:

After dinner, I had ice cream
Fell asleep and watched TV
I woke up in my mother's arms

Those lines say so much !! What could be better as a kid, then having dinner made for you, eating some ice cream, watching some tv and waking up in your mother's arms? I wish I still had those experiences sometimes.

Sliver is the song responsible for my initial interest in Nirvana. Played it on my college radio show way back when and then began to check out their other stuff. I started playing other songs like Dive, Floyd the Barber and About a Girl shortly thereafter. All great stuff!

I can overdose on Nirvana....but once you go like 6 months w/o listening to them and then throw on an album, it's like hearing it for the first time:wink:

But for some reason, that particular verse really struck a chord (no pun intended) with me today....Fond childhood memories.

what's a reason of love
if you can't have anything?
what's the reason of love
if you can lose everything?
what's the meaning of love?
it's a crime if anything
what's the meaning of love?
it's a crime, it's a crime.

how a culture comes again
it's a plan of yesterday
and you swear it's not a trend
doesn't matter anyway
they're only here to talk to friends
nothing new is everyday
you could shit upon the stage
they'll be fans, they'll be fans
they'll be fans, they'll be fans

(x2)
all the kids will eat it up
if it's packaged properly
steal a sound and imitate
keep a format equally
not an ode it's just the facts
where our world is nowadays
an idea is what we lack
doesn't matter anyways

Hey (6x)

Wow. If you gave me those lyrics and told me to guess the song, I'd have no idea. But that's Aero Zeppelin.

no, too busy changing diapers, fixing my flood ravaged basement, fighting the potential firehouse in front of my house.........:wink:

Nirvana are my 4th favourite band. Sliver is among my 5 favourite Nirvana songs. That means something :)

Aneurysm, About a Girl, All Apologies, In Bloom, Lithium, Serve the Servants, Son of a Gun, Lounge Act, Something in the Way, You Know You're Right, Dive, Love Buzz, ...

great stuff

Back
Top Bottom