Nirvana, uterus.....glimpse of my teenage angst years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheU2

Refugee
So I was driving a bunch of co-workers to lunch in good ole Perth Amboy, NJ...the god-awful worst piece of real estate known to man. The conversation came to the state of the current "popular" music scene. The conversation soon turned negative when we were trying to tap the next band to grab hold of the establishment and make some good, new, fresh manual music.
There are a lack of bands turning heads....especially my head. Radiohead? Yes. I'd take Johnny Greenwood making noise with a hair dryer anyday then listen to some asian guy spinning some records...

So anyway....conversation soon came to Nirvana. I popped in In Utero and realized again what a brilliant record it is. Cobain made angst credible because it was real angst. Sadly, it was his suicide that made it even more credible....but just listen to his lyrics and the catchy riffs...the pounding Grohl drums.

Forever upset at such foolishness,

CK

[This message has been edited by TheU2 (edited 05-13-2002).]

Not to imply that you did, but people always seem to overlook Pearl Jam. A great band, that makes incredible music. They are a band that doesn't get the recognition that they derserve. Sorry to go off-topic a little, just felt it needed to be said.
smile.gif

------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Zooropa FTP

Originally posted by Zooropa:
Not to imply that you did, but people always seem to overlook Pearl Jam. A great band, that makes incredible music. They are a band that doesn't get the recognition that they derserve. Sorry to go off-topic a little, just felt it needed to be said.
smile.gif

I agree. If it weren't for that fight against ticketmaster...

CK

[This message has been edited by TheU2 (edited 05-13-2002).]

Nirvana made some of the most fine pop music in existence.

Pearl Jam has gotten better with each album. I hated thier first album, but from about the third one on they have been superb.

Originally posted by hermes:

Pearl Jam has gotten better with each album. I hated thier first album, but from about the third one on they have been superb.

I'd agree with you if you'd have gone the opposite way in the album timeline.

CK

I'd agree with you if you'd have gone the opposite way in the album timeline.

I know I'm in the minority, but I just can't stand the pomp rock of TEN. It didn't feel very unique or interesting to me.

I know I'm in the minority, but I just can't stand the pomp rock of TEN. It didn't feel very unique or interesting to me.

Didn't feel very unique at the time or now?

CK

I love Pearl Jam!!! Their next album needs to be HUGE though.

It's sad that Kurt killed himself. But honestly, even if he hadn't, I don't think Nirvana would still be a band right now.

We need something new quickly! I'd love to hear the "Classic rock" sound return.

Originally posted by mikal:

It's sad that Kurt killed himself. But honestly, even if he hadn't, I don't think Nirvana would still be a band right now.

I think it would be difficult to fathom what the music scene would be today if Cobain didn't kill himself. I'd venture to say that the scene would be drastically different.

Off to bed,

CK

Didn't feel very unique at the time or now?

This is just my opinion of course...

Whatever jollies I could/can get out of TEN I can get from Led Zep or the Who or even some of the Seattle bands that were floating about at the time.

Though there is undeniable emotion in TEN, I didn't become a fan of PJ till they started channeling the emotion effectively and concisely. Too much of TEN seems out of focus to me, too much wank.

Like I said, I know I?m in the minority?

This is just my opinion of course...

Whatever jollies I could/can get out of TEN I can get from Led Zep or the Who or even some of the Seattle bands that were floating about at the time.

Though there is undeniable emotion in TEN, I didn't become a fan of PJ till they started channeling the emotion effectively and concisely. Too much of TEN seems out of focus to me, too much wank.

Like I said, I know I?m in the minority?

No need to overly justify your viewpoint.

Viewpoint respected.

Goodnight,

CK

I think it would be difficult to fathom what the music scene would be today if Cobain didn't kill himself. I'd venture to say that the scene would be drastically different.

I think so too. Like what happens with any band that gets big, the surface traits(angst, anger, loudness) are picked up first and what makes the music special isn't seen till later.

By killing himself, Cobain left a vacuum that lesser bands filled. These lesser bands shared similar but superficial traits. I think if Cobain had gone on and continued to make music, he could have made obvious the things that made Nirvana special instead of leaving the audience open for copy-cats. I?d venture to say that much of the shit-rock around right now is a direct result of people latching onto the superficial aspects of nirvana and not it?s core.

yup! PJ just keep getting better IMO, Binuaral was an awesome album. I can't wait for the next one (hopefully by the end of the year!!)

------------------

Zooropa FTP

I'm a big fan of all Nirvana's music.

I liked TEN when it came out, but now I've really lost my taste for Pearl Jam after that. I'm really not a fan of theirs anymore.

As for Cobain's suicide, for some reason it really didnt effect me - I think that a lot of people may have been expecting it. Staley's death did...

------------------

What in God's name have you done?
Stick your arm for some real fun...
Rest in peace Layne.

Get on board and have some fun -
Take What you need to turn you on...

Originally posted by She ls Raging:
As for Cobain's suicide, for some reason it really didnt effect me - I think that a lot of people may have been expecting it.

Maybe I was young and naive, but I was shocked (and saddened) when Cobain shot himself.

CK

I'd always take Nirvana over Pearl Jam. That being said, I really loved TEN. But for me, Pearl Jam tended to go down the same path the the Cilli Peppers did. With both I loved the older stuff, but they got too...too something. PJ just lost that I dunno, rawness or something. Last Kiss annoys the crap out of me. I know its a beautiful (in a way) story in that song etc, but it sounds like a nursery rhyme or something.

I always hoped Bush would keep at it and I reckon they could have been so much bigger. It seems that after all the shit they got from the critics about 'trying to be too American, instead of sticking with their Brit roots etc' (huh???), they just backed off a little. Maybe thats coinicidence, who knows. I will never believe the Seattle Grunge was their intention.

Oh, and CK, what's being Asian got to do with anything? Curious. Please enlighten.

Originally posted by TheU2:
Maybe I was young and naive, but I was shocked (and saddened) when Cobain shot himself.

CK

Oh dont get me wrong, I probably didnt phrase that the right way ... it was a terrible thing, but for some reason it didnt come as a great surprise to me.

------------------

What in God's name have you done?
Stick your arm for some real fun...
Rest in peace Layne.

Get on board and have some fun -
Take What you need to turn you on...

Originally posted by Angela Harlem:
I'd always take Nirvana over Pearl Jam. That being said, I really loved TEN. But for me, Pearl Jam tended to go down the same path the the Cilli Peppers did. With both I loved the older stuff, but they got too...too something. PJ just lost that I dunno, rawness or something. Last Kiss annoys the crap out of me. I know its a beautiful (in a way) story in that song etc, but it sounds like a nursery rhyme or something.

I always hoped Bush would keep at it and I reckon they could have been so much bigger. It seems that after all the shit they got from the critics about 'trying to be too American, instead of sticking with their Brit roots etc' (huh???), they just backed off a little. Maybe thats coinicidence, who knows. I will never believe the Seattle Grunge was their intention.

Oh, and CK, what's being Asian got to do with anything? Curious. Please enlighten.

PLEASE don't tell me thats all you know of later day Pearl Jam. Last Kiss is NOT representitive of their work. If anything, their albums are more raw now than ever before.

------------------

Zooropa FTP

Nope, its not. I have Reveal, the one with the black cover...cant recall the name, plus Vs and ten. I also have a live disc they released which is brilliant.

I do not like the newer stuff.

Nope, its not. I have Reveal, the one with the black cover...cant recall the name, plus Vs and ten. I also have a live disc they released which is brilliant.

I do not like the newer stuff.

1. reveal? Vitalogy?
2. To each, their own.
3. Are you an STP fan?

BTW, I'm really not falling you around this message board!!! LOL
------------------

Zooropa FTP

[This message has been edited by Zooropa (edited 05-14-2002).]

LOL, this is funny. Sorry.

The albums I have....I know one is Vitalogy, and I'm sure the other is Reveal. One has a black cover and one has all these boxes with different pictures in them. The live disc is alos black. I guess to a PJ fan they aren't new. But thats about the time when I lost interest.

Yes, its all about taste, yay we agree!

And absolutely I adore STP.

I'm not following you either lol

biggrin.gif

LOL, this is funny. Sorry.

The albums I have....I know one is Vitalogy, and I'm sure the other is Reveal. One has a black cover and one has all these boxes with different pictures in them. The live disc is alos black. I guess to a PJ fan they aren't new. But thats about the time when I lost interest.

Yes, its all about taste, yay we agree!

And absolutely I adore STP.

I'm not following you either lol

biggrin.gif

What did you think off Tiny Music, #4 and shangri-la dee da? I personally fell in love with STP on those albums. Great diversity in music styles and Weiland is such a camelion with his voice its uncanny. Too bad they can't seem to get it all going at once, they could have been the next big band.
Oh well...

Tag, your it
smile.gif

------------------

Zooropa FTP

Yes they could have been the next big one. Pity really. Again with STP it was their early stuff that got me. I got the singles, vaseline, plush and Interstate love song then got the Purple album, Core and then Tiny Music. The later stuff I only know by certain songs. Purple is prolly my fave of all the stuff I know, but it could be co its what I'm most familiar with.

So do you like Bush? Pleeeeeeeeease dont say they are like Creed and just a bunch of wannabes!

Your turn!
smile.gif

Yes they could have been the next big one. Pity really. Again with STP it was their early stuff that got me. I got the singles, vaseline, plush and Interstate love song then got the Purple album, Core and then Tiny Music. The later stuff I only know by certain songs. Purple is prolly my fave of all the stuff I know, but it could be co its what I'm most familiar with.

So do you like Bush? Pleeeeeeeeease dont say they are like Creed and just a bunch of wannabes!

Your turn!
smile.gif

You know, In all honesty, I don't really know all that much about Bush. They are just one of those bands that kind flew below my Radar. I defintly have to check some stuff out. Creed blows...

------------------

Zooropa FTP

The albums I have....I know one is Vitalogy, and I'm sure the other is Reveal. One has a black cover and one has all these boxes with different pictures in them.
Pearl Jam's Studio Albums:
Ten
Vs.
Vitalogy
No Code
Yield
Binaural

Not sure what "Reveal" is, unless one of the albums got a different title overseas, maybe. The cover sounds like "No Code" which was a montage of pictures.

[This message has been edited by Hewson (edited 05-14-2002).]

I was more a Pearl Jam fan than a Nirvana fan. Dunno why. But PJ lost me after Vitalogy.

Originally posted by TheU2:
So I was driving a bunch of co-workers to lunch in good ole Perth Amboy, NJ...the god-awful worst piece of real estate known to man.

I would say its in a neck and neck competition with South Brunswick, NJ. Bleck.

Time for my two bits... lol

If I had to choose between Nirvana's "In Utero" and Pearl Jam's "Ten" I'd have to pick Pearl Jam, but the comparison ends there. I like many others here, lost interest in Pearl Jam after "Vitalogy".
As for Nirvana and Kurt Cobain... his death was so shocking, even if one could predict it coming. I dunno, I live practically a hop skip and a jump away from Seattle and that time period in music will always remain very inmportant to me. It set the stage for what was to come. If Kurt hadn't died, I don't think Nirvana would still be around, and I don't think the music scene would be any different today. He made his mark while he was here.... I dont think he could have made a bigger impact had he lived. I know that is a terribly sick thing to say, but I believe it to be true.

As for STP.... I lost interest in them. They were great when they first started but I dunno, all good things must come to an end. I really wish BUSH got more airplay. I have their first two albums plus 'Deconstructed' but I kinda admittedly forgot about them after that. They just don't get the promotion here......

Back
Top Bottom