Nirvana Unplugged DVD coming out!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Muldfeld

Refugee
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/46153-nirvanas-iunpluggedi-gets-dvd-release

Although I had bought some of the catalogue in 2003, I wasn't a Nirvana fan until 2006, when I watched a TV special on the making of the 1991 album, and I realized I connected with some of the lyrics personally. I own every major release and even the box set and singles box. I still think the band is over-rated and that Cobain could be kinda childish and gross, but I think the Unplugged album showed where Nirvana might have progressed. Kurt had apparently wanted to do something more calm and talked about working with Michael Stipe of REM.

I remember feeling a sadness (not for the man but for totally selfish reasons of the music) that this creative guy had died not because of the music he had created, but the music he might have made. To be feeling that in 2006 is quite a latecomer emotion, I guess.

Anyway, I'm thrilled the DVD is coming out because I've always wanted this and almost bought a bootleg DVD of this; I'm glad I didn't! I hope the sound and picture are remastered well! There's still so much nicely-filmed concert footage they should have released, too.

BrownEyedBoy said:
I think this deserves a collective reply of "About fucking time!".

qft

now release the 1991 seattle halloween show already! come on courtney, you've gotta replenish the smack fund, right?

I don't know if I'll buy the DVD or not, but the CD is the one Nirvana CD I still listen to all these years later.

"Where Did You Sleep Last Night" never fails to give me chills.

corianderstem said:
I don't know if I'll buy the DVD or not, but the CD is the one Nirvana CD I still listen to all these years later.

"Where Did You Sleep Last Night" never fails to give me chills.

One of the best covers of all time.

bollox said:

qft

now release the 1991 seattle halloween show already! come on courtney, you've gotta replenish the smack fund, right?
Is that the one that was actually filmed nicely? There's one track on the box set DVD, right ("Jesus Don't Want Me For A Sunbeam", I think)?

I wish they'd release that, too. The footage from "Live Tonight Sold Out" is awful! Very disappoionted. I know I started this thread, but I totally forgot about this release. I'm gonna check amazon to see if it's available for preorder yet!

Last edited:
The Disciple said:
Didn't they do a pretty decent cover of "The Man Who Sold The World" on that show?
That's where it's taken from. For years, I thought it was a Kurt Cobain song, and, since I hated Nirvana at the time, I grudgingly recognized that as the symbolic of the band's potential. When i found out it was a David Bowie song, I upheld my former opinion that the band sucked and was over-rated.

Then I actually bought the Bowie Hits album and realized his version was so over-produced that Nirvana's brilliance lay in their more powerful stripping down.

It'll be great to have a video to match the great recording of this performance.

bollox said:

The video has some serious audio-video sync issues. Some of the video runs too fast and some too slow and there are fluctuations seen in the officially released clips("Polly" on Classic Albums DVD, "Jesus" on th eboxset and a couple lcips on Live Tonight)

meh. i never saw the big deal about nirvana. i was a better guitar player at the age of 13 than kurt cobain ever was in his prime.

the unplugged album was ok though.

Back
Top Bottom