Nirvana: In Utero - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: How is In Utero by Nirvana.
Very Good - Amazing 8 36.36%
Meh - Average 9 40.91%
Still awful - Sucks balls 5 22.73%
Should've been Nevermind II 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-29-2006, 10:29 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Numb1075's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tarrytown, NY
Posts: 11,382
Local Time: 12:58 PM
In Utero is a really really good album; not great, but really good.

Lots of original songs that sound like nothing else I've ever heard before or since.
__________________

__________________
Numb1075 is offline  
Old 12-29-2006, 10:43 AM   #17
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,979
Local Time: 06:58 PM
It's my favourite nirvana album - i think if you are going to listen to one of their albums, it should be in utero. Every song on their makes a statement, i see it (like htdaab) as a collection of single songs.
Plus you have to love the album cover.
__________________

__________________
pgv is offline  
Old 12-29-2006, 10:52 AM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,338
Local Time: 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1


I think if Lennon had lived the general crappiness of his solo records would have weighed down his legacy.

Those records are bad. Paul and George make him look silly in the solo album department.
well... imagine, instant karma, beautiful boy, working class hero, god, love, whatever gets you thru the night... these are great great songs. paul? band on the run has a nice melody and all, but i can't hold it on the same level as an instant karma. lennon could have put out more stinkers (and admittedly he did have some stinkers on the way, esp. when yoko was involved), or he couuld have followed dylan's path.

point is that lennon was a legend when he was killed, cobain was made a legend because he was killed.

cobain's not alone, of course... i worship at the temple of hendrix... but if he hadn't have died early, would he have become as cheesey as eric clapton has? who knows... it's hard to say.

but with cobain and nirvana... pearl jam was bigger before cobain killed himself. history tends to forget that.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 12-29-2006, 11:09 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: at pavel's
Posts: 11,603
Local Time: 06:58 PM
paul and george wrote some nice tunes and a lot of decent ones during their solo career. john did make a lot of crap during his, but he wrote the legendary songs.
__________________
U2Man is offline  
Old 12-29-2006, 11:17 AM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor
 
LarryMullen's POPAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
Posts: 53,698
Local Time: 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by HeartlandGirl
You know, I don't think I ever heard that album in its entirety, so I can't compare it to Nevermind. I always did like 'Heart-Shaped Box' though.

I'm with some of y'all. Nirvana have been overly romanticized.
__________________
LarryMullen's POPAngel is offline  
Old 12-29-2006, 11:17 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Aygo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Barcelona, Spain [Lisbon, Portugal]
Posts: 3,512
Local Time: 05:58 PM
Average, naturally.
Nirvana's albums (all of them) are just average, and they're nothing special. They're just overrated by the press and the maniac fans.
__________________
Aygo is online now  
Old 12-29-2006, 12:02 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,585
Local Time: 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
cobain's not alone, of course... i worship at the temple of hendrix... but if he hadn't have died early, would he have become as cheesey as eric clapton has? who knows... it's hard to say.
Hendrix was thinking of releasing a TRIPLE album of studio material when he died. Considering how well the posthumous Jimi album did, he would have done fine. I think Hensdrix would have gone the route of Santana and done a full JAZZ album to a fraction of his then sizable 60's audience.

Quote:
but with cobain and nirvana... pearl jam was bigger before cobain killed himself. history tends to forget that.
I'd like to see one example of how PJ was bigger than Nirvana.

In the last year before KC died PJ were an opening act for Neil Young. Nirvana had a sold out(by showtime) tour of US arena and multi-night stands at large theater sized places. TIME magazine only put VEDDER on their cover of their 1993(?) after Nirvana put a press blackout on US media. The week Cobain died he had an enormous check sitting in his house to play US stadium tour throughout the summer of 1994. That scheduled 1994 Lollapalooza line-up would have sold out most places in advance with Cobain being the main draw.

u2fp
__________________
U2FanPeter is offline  
Old 12-29-2006, 12:36 PM   #23
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase


well... imagine, instant karma, beautiful boy, working class hero, god, love, whatever gets you thru the night... these are great great songs. paul? band on the run has a nice melody and all, but i can't hold it on the same level as an instant karma. lennon could have put out more stinkers (and admittedly he did have some stinkers on the way, esp. when yoko was involved), or he couuld have followed dylan's path.

point is that lennon was a legend when he was killed, cobain was made a legend because he was killed.

cobain's not alone, of course... i worship at the temple of hendrix... but if he hadn't have died early, would he have become as cheesey as eric clapton has? who knows... it's hard to say.

but with cobain and nirvana... pearl jam was bigger before cobain killed himself. history tends to forget that.
I agree with most except the PJ thing.

Nirvana's breakthrough with "Nevermind" pretty much led to the success of Pearl Jam's "Ten".

As much as I think Nirvana is overrated and Kurt Cobain is glorified to an extreme, they did help define an era of music and pop culture.

I like Pearl Jam way more than Nirvana, but you really can't have one without the other.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 12-29-2006, 12:40 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
Some of In Utero is brilliant, while there are other parts that I could do without.

Nevermind is more consistent.
Yeah this is pretty much exactly my opinion. Damn I forgot about Dumb. Thanks for reminding me, nam.

This thread makes me wanna dust off my copy of In Utero and give it a spin.
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 12-29-2006, 12:43 PM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
As much as I think Nirvana is overrated and Kurt Cobain is glorified to an extreme, they did help define an era of music and pop culture.

I like Pearl Jam way more than Nirvana, but you really can't have one without the other.
__________________

__________________
Zoots is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com