Nine Inch Nails Apprecation Thread - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2003, 03:51 AM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:04 PM
Nine Inch Nails Apprecation Thread

i don't recall seeing a thread dedicated to nin in this forum, probably cos no one here likes them.

they're one of those bands i hated the first time i heard them ("march of the pigs" from the downward spiral when i was 12 or so) and ended up really liking a few years later (they were my favourite band for a few months in ninth grade and for some reason it seemed fitting to blast pretty hate machine while moving into the dorms last fall....too bad the tape player ate the tape...)

sooo...do you love or hate trent reznor?

Old 06-19-2003, 09:47 AM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 02:04 PM
Definitely not "happy" music, but I'd say Pretty Hate Machine is a classic album. Downward Spiral was good, too, but weak in spots. "Something I Can Never Have" may be the most depressing song I've ever heard.....

Old 06-19-2003, 10:58 AM   #3
Jesus Online

Local Time: 06:04 AM
Closer was my first intro to them, back in the time when it was quite cool to like such angst filled music. Was that about 96 or something? I mysteriously ended up with one of their albums once, and as it happens, it mysteriously disappeared again. I think they're quite interesting. That black kind of sound is good every now and then. I'm not overly familiar though, got recommendations?
Old 06-19-2003, 11:09 AM   #4
I Serve Larry's Stick

Local Time: 02:04 PM
YUMMY!

Trent Reznor

and he makes good music too!
Old 06-19-2003, 12:33 PM   #5
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:04 AM
I hurt myself today just to see if I could still feel pain.

Old 06-19-2003, 12:52 PM   #6
War Child

I am a huge Nine Inch Nails fan. I also assumed no one here was too fond of Trent Reznor's music.

Trent Reznor has always been pigeonholed to be "Goth" or "creepy and scary". Never has someones's talent been so underappreciated because of a stereotype. Each album he has made goes from such drastic extremes, they sound like they are made from different musicians.

Pretty Hate Machine- the perfect example of late 80's dance/new wave angsty music. But with a hard edge added to it.

Broken-Welcome to the 90's and to thrash metal. One of his harshest and angriest albums, yet it includes a cover from good old Adam Ant.

The Downward Spiral- If listened to as a concept album you will see it to be a disturbing story of a man who has reached the end of his rope. Each song heard on it's own sounds excellent. But to listen to the album as if watching a movie or reading a story, it is beyond excellent. Also brought the "industrial" sound into the mainstream and who could forget the catchy chorus of that one song....

The Fragile-such an underrated beautiful album. Reznor took 5 loooong years to finally release this album, and unfortunately the "Closer" loving public probably forgot all about him. It didn't help that this album was a double disc. The ranges of music go from funky groove beats, to hard loud kick-ass songs, to beautiful piano compositions and instrumentals. That album has such a broad spectrum of sounds.

Plus, all the other remixes albums....there are not enough good things I can say about this very misunderstood musician, genious, composer, producer and all around gorgeous ball of talent.

*end of gushing*
Old 06-19-2003, 01:26 PM   #7
New Yorker

U2loopy, great overview of the NIN albums. I couldn't agree more about "The Fragile." You know an album is amazing when you can go from crying your eyes out to wanting to punch a hole in the wall...all in one song!
Old 06-19-2003, 03:10 PM   #8
Neon Zebra

i've seen NIN live three times.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:11 PM   #9
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by HeadsOnSticks
U2loopy, great overview of the NIN albums. I couldn't agree more about "The Fragile." You know an album is amazing when you can go from crying your eyes out to wanting to punch a hole in the wall...all in one song!
You said it! I just wanted to present a clearer example of the scope of his music. In my experience, alot of people hear "Nine Inch Nails" and automatically picture a suicidal Goth vampire dude. Well....ok, maybe at one time he was that, but the range of music he has written, produced, re-mixed is astounding! Just recently he remixed a track for Peter Gabriel.

You want techno...you got it (the remix albums) You want kick-you-in-the-face loud music...you got it. You want something to chill out to on a rainy Sunday afternoon....you got it. The list can go on....

I have a tremendous amount of respect for this man and for the music he has made. Now if only he would release something already dammit!!
Old 06-19-2003, 03:42 PM   #10
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 01:04 PM
I dont like too much. Respect, but dont like. Dont know why, just dont. You'd imagine they'd be right up my alley, wouldnt you? You'd imagine wrong then.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:20 PM   #11
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo
I dont like too much. Respect, but dont like. Dont know why, just dont. You'd imagine they'd be right up my alley, wouldnt you? You'd imagine wrong then.

Trent could kick Davey Havok's ass.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:17 PM   #12
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:04 PM
oooh perhaps you guys can help me here ...I know hardly anythign about NIN, the only song I can really remember is The Perfect Drug which I LOVE so have they done any other tracks like that which I'd like?
Old 06-19-2003, 06:25 PM   #13
New Yorker

It's kinda hard to dissect their music track by track. You can't go wrong with purchasing the "Downward Spiral" album. Even though it has one of the most overplayed songs in the history of overplayed songs ("Closer" you know, "I wanna f*!@ you like an animaaaaaal.) HOWEVER, the rest of the album is stunning. If you really feel like wading into a "difficult" record, purchase their last one entitled "The Fragile." 2 discs of pure angst and passion.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:51 PM   #14
Refugee

Local Time: 01:04 PM
I fell in love with "The Fragile" the first time I listened to it. Very good album....both sides!
Old 06-20-2003, 03:04 AM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

the fragile is great. probably my favourite album of theirs, although "hurt" is one of my all time favourite songs.