Nine Inch Nails Apprecation Thread - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2003, 03:14 AM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 03:13 AM
Has anyone picked up the live album or the live dvd? I want to know what they're like.

Old 06-20-2003, 03:20 AM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:13 AM
i've heard about half of the live album. i liked what i heard, but i don't own it..

Old 06-20-2003, 03:32 AM   #18
Refugee

There was a limited edition 2 cd live album....i wonder if that's better than the single disc one.
Old 06-20-2003, 04:06 AM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

probably is better...twice as much music
Old 06-20-2003, 04:11 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:13 AM
I have seen them twice.

Once was the first Lollapalooza in 1991. I had not idea who they were and all I remember is white strobe lights, smoke and the guitarist had black electrical tape on his nipples.

The second time was just as frightning - it must have been 1994 and they played MSG. I was on teh floor in the front and Marylin Manson (totally unknown then) opened. They were great. then the Jim Rose Travelling Side SHow. They were great.

Then NIN came out and kicked everyone's ass. I remember how good they sounded.

Loved that show...
Old 06-23-2003, 09:59 AM   #21
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Edgeman
There was a limited edition 2 cd live album....i wonder if that's better than the single disc one.
The limited edition (well...it's not so limited, you can get it anywhere) contains a second disc called "Still" which contains deconstructed versions of some older songs, some new songs, and some instrumentals. The CD is not what you would expect from NIN. It is almost an "unplugged" version of the music. It's quiet, somber, and beautiful, perfect music to chill out to on a rainy Sunday afternoon. The live CD kicks ass because the songs come across completely different; much harder and louder.

Squishy Peanut (Love your username by the way) I would suggest you start with the first album, "Pretty Hate Machine." Ease into "The Fragile" next, then "Broken", and THEN "The Downward Sprial" which is the heaviest album. And by heavy I do not mean "Heavy metal" sounding, I mean DEEP and intense!!! That album takes alot of paying attention to really enjoy and a couple of listenings to get the gist of it. Musically, it may be a little hard to digest, but lyrically, it's amazing.

If you enjoy those albums, pick up the re-mix albums. NIN usually releases a re-mix CD after each album which contains one or two songs off the album re-mixed by Trent and others. It puts a new spin on the songs you already love.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:56 PM   #22
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:13 AM
Thanks u2loopy! I'll chack em out!
Old 06-24-2003, 11:59 AM   #23
Refugee

Yes, thanks for the info loopy.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:46 PM   #24
War Child

Big Grin

Happy to oblige!
Old 06-25-2003, 07:15 AM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 08:13 PM
he along with the likes of kurt cobain and billy corgan made music nice and depressing so much so i cant go back to listen to the hiphop trash of radio anymore
Old 06-25-2003, 12:00 PM   #26
War Child

Well....I'm hoping with age and *ahem* maturity, his next release will NOT be the theme songs to goth teens and their suicidal angst.

Anything he's ever released has been true to what he was feeling at that time in his life, so if he's still going on and on about how screwy his life is and how he wants to kill himself, I think it would be very old and tired.

I just want SOMETHING new from him in the near future....I don't care if it's a bunch of re-mixed nursery rhymes!!!!
Old 06-25-2003, 07:27 PM   #27
The Fly

Local Time: 06:13 PM
And here I was thinking I was an anomaly being a U2 fan and a Nine Inch Nails fan. Heh.

I have the live cd, it is fantastic. I actually picked it up at a bargain cd sale recently for A$10 (bargain!), but its well worth the regular price. Don't have the DVD but I have watched it a few times - my best friend is a RABID (and I mean that in the nicest sense of the word ) NIN fan.

I've seen them live once, at the Melbourne Big Day Out a few years back (2000, I think it was?) and they were fantastic.

If you're just getting into NIN, I'd suggest starting with Pretty Hate Machine, and then moving onto Broken and then The Fragile. I agree that The Downward Spiral should probably be left till last. Not that it's not a great album - it is, but it's also the most 'intense' of NIN's work.
Old 06-26-2003, 05:41 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:13 AM
I really like NIN. I always thought it was bizarre to like U2 and NIN, but I'm happy to see other people do too.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:07 AM   #29
War Child

I frequent a NIN message board and 90% of the members there are fans of U2, Radiohead, Bjork, Depeche Mode. It surprised the hell outta me when I first discovered that.

When I first heard Pretty Hate Machine I thought it sounded something along the lines of Depeche Mode.

As I've stated before, NIN has been stereotyped to be a certain genre of music because of the majority of his fans in the 90's. There's nothing wrong with that, but I think it makes people less willing to hear what he's put out.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:19 AM   #30
I Serve Larry's Stick

Local Time: 04:13 AM
I was a NIN fan before I even knew who U2 were.